Opportunity to design a home theater

Had a small snafu over the wiring for the Dish, which is now resolved, but apparently the basement is now wired; the theater room is setup for 7.1 sound, actually 7.2, since there is wire for 2 subs. (I know, there is no such thing as 7.2, since it is the same discrete channel ;) ); HDMI and component to where the projector will be (at 14.5'), and all the wiring feeding into the mechanical room.

Dish coax stub on the south wall of the house, so I will have EASY access to the dish for when it snows, or I want to tinker. :)

We are making slow but steady progress. Next the dry-wall goes in.... hopefully on track for a close May 9th.

Still waiting on quotes on the screen and in-wall's. And taking my time researching the PJ, and assessing my available funds.

Only thing we could not do was put in surround wiring upstairs for the "day-to-day" tv; walls were not cooperative. In fact, neither the living or famly room upstairs was it possible.

Will have to come up with some sort of plan for that. Even if it is just a wireless system; its only for two surrounds. I'll deal with that once I am in the house.

SO, that's where I stand right now... :)

The Man Cave

I got to see what my wife has labeled the "man cave." The room is finished; although the screen, speakers, and projector will not go in until the 27th.

They ended up having the mechanical room enter from the HT room; not what I would have done, but it is not really a problem. Might impact the surrounds a bit, but I will figure it out once I meet with the theater guy.

I noticed that the mechanical room has a "Leviton Integrated Network" box. It has a setup which is much more sophisticated then what I was using in my old house (where I simply ran Cat-5 to one room, and had a wall plug with three ports and I just ran cables to the router). I took a photo of the new setup, but to be honest, have NO IDEA how it works. Much research to be done.

The picture of the HT room is not a great one, but it gives a sense of the layout. I need to switch the lighting to a dimmer -- right now its all on, or nothing. And the mechanical room has some really thick insulation to sound proof; but I might put in a piece of drywall to improve it if it is a problem. Won't know until the system is all in.

By the way -- there was a smudge on my el cheapo camera that I was using; that explains the weird splotches on the picture in the HT room. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 112
I haven't worked with such Leviton panels, but wanted to ask about the Cat6 (yellow) wiring: is the wire crossover implemented internally?
The striped (white+color) half of the blue and green pair has to be crossed - it is not in the supplied images.

Diogen.

I haven't worked with such Leviton panels, but wanted to ask about the Cat6 (yellow) wiring: is the wire crossover implemented internally?
The striped (white+color) half of the blue and green pair has to be crossed - it is not in the supplied images.

Diogen.

A good question, which I will ask about when I meet with the installer on the 27th.

I had never even seen a panel like that before, all new to me.

That is awesome. Email me the original graphic if you don't mind; I could have some fun with that. rocky @ satelliteguys.us :D

You need to animate the gif so that the spotlights are scanning back and forth across the screen. Then build an app and select it as background into an old PC being fed to the projector.

I am planning on eventually feeding a PC to the projector, but at a minimum I am going to make a nice print of the graphic, and frame it and put it on the door. :)

I decided to go for the Mitsibishi HC1500U 720p projector. It gets great reviews; and the price is right; at $800.

I was going to hold off, and borrow Jay's projector, but since it isn't a 16x9, AND I get assistance from the HT company ONLY when they do the install, I decided to go for the 1500.

I debated long and hard over that and Mitsi's 1080p projector, the 5000 unit, which was $2K, but I took a serious look at our finances, and while I can afford the 720p, I can not justify spending another $1000 on top of all of the other expenses this summer.

Oh, I know I'll eventually upgrade -- but from what I have read, I think this will be more then satisfactory for quite some time. Hell, I am damn happy to have my man cave. ;)

It will arrive on Thursday; and I'll be bringing it with me to Illinois next Wednesday, and installed the following Tuesday.

Pretty cool. :D

I decided to go for the Mitsibishi HC1500U 720p projector. It gets great reviews; and the price is right; at $800.

I was going to hold off, and borrow Jay's projector, but since it isn't a 16x9, AND I get assistance from the HT company ONLY when they do the install, I decided to go for the 1500.

I debated long and hard over that and Mitsi's 1080p projector, the 5000 unit, which was $2K, but I took a serious look at our finances, and while I can afford the 720p, I can not justify spending another $1000 on top of all of the other expenses this summer.

Oh, I know I'll eventually upgrade -- but from what I have read, I think this will be more then satisfactory for quite some time. Hell, I am damn happy to have my man cave. ;)

It will arrive on Thursday; and I'll be bringing it with me to Illinois next Wednesday, and installed the following Tuesday.

Nice! It will keep you happy long enough to save up for that next PJ. It's nice to be able to enjoy theater at home.
Iron Man is the first thing I have gone to see out of the house in awhile now and I saw it where they are using a Cinema DLP projector!

Glad you will be enjoying it soon!

Nice! It will keep you happy long enough to save up for that next PJ. It's nice to be able to enjoy theater at home.
Iron Man is the first thing I have gone to see out of the house in awhile now and I saw it where they are using a Cinema DLP projector!

Glad you will be enjoying it soon!

The only movie I suspect I will see on the big screen soon will be Indiana Jones. Although the kid is itching to see Narnia. So, maybe two.

And I suspect we'll be forced to become smurfs before too long. ;)

Hey, no problem. I really don't mind having fewer hours on the bulb :)

I thuink you made the right choice for now, especially given the current tech acceleration. At this rate you can probably buy the 1080P for under $1k in another year or 2.

You won't be disappointed... I saw a BTF I poster today at Hastings and thought... rocky :)

Be a bit careful about those posters you see at the video store. They are generally repros that are the wrong size and generally third or fourth gen transfers = muddy image.

You can usually get the real thing for good prices and have an appreciating asset, instead of disposable. You also get stuff that everybody else doesn't have. For example, I am currently displaying several one-sheets (27x41): a 1910 silent poster, a 1932 "lost" picture with great graphics, "The lady wants Mink" from the '40s with a provocative Eve Arden posing in a mink coat. I also have half sheets (20x24) of 101 Dalmations, Forbidden Planet, That's Entertainment, among others. I have a couple of inserts up (14x36) of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Rails Into Laramie. Finally, I am also currently displaying a three sheet (81x41) of Kiss me Kate. I rotate them occassionally with stuff like The Gumball Rally, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars (Style D), Silk Stockings, etc, etc.

Haven't had time to hang the lobby cards (11x14). Those are nice because you can put up a wide variety in a small space. They are great for bathrooms and niches.

Hey, no problem. I really don't mind having fewer hours on the bulb :)

I thuink you made the right choice for now, especially given the current tech acceleration. At this rate you can probably buy the 1080P for under $1k in another year or 2.

That was my thought exactly. Prices will drop, and I'll upgrade when the time is right.

I sure do appreciate the offer though.

The FP should arrive today; had it shipped to a neighbor's addy, since I don't really have one right now.

I noticed that the mechanical room has a "Leviton Integrated Network" box. It has a setup which is much more sophisticated then what I was using in my old house (where I simply ran Cat-5 to one room, and had a wall plug with three ports and I just ran cables to the router). I took a photo of the new setup, but to be honest, have NO IDEA how it works. Much research to be done.
Search for Leviton Structured Media. Leviton Structured Media Center Equipment - LevitonProducts.com It is sold at Home Depot around here (MD).

I replaced my old Sanyo LCD PLC-XW15 with the HC1500. You will love the picture.

Attachments

• P5230072.JPG
    P5230072.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 109
  • P5230070.JPG
    P5230070.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 107
  • P5230071.JPG
    P5230071.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 109
  • P5230074.JPG
    P5230074.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 124
T - 3 days and counting on install of the HT. Of course, I won't have any furniture for it yet, but bean bags will do for the first few days.

In the house, boxes everywhere; and nothing broken!

Those pics look great Don! I can't wait to have that thing running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts