Options for a tall mast on a balcony?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SmashedPumpkins

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
United States
I currently live on the third floor of an apartment complex that restricts the installation of satellite dishes on the building and balcony railing. My apartment sadly faces East. However, my balcony isn't fully covered by a roof. I suppose theoretically I could mount a dish on a large pole that poked over the roof. The pole would have to be roughly 13 feet tall to reach above the roof. Three walls would surround the pole itself.

I assume I would need a really wide tripod or a wide bucket with cement. The average wind speed here is 6-10 mph. Of course it could gust much higher. Is this possible or is it just too tall?

2zrMki5.jpg

Last edited:
It is possible with a very large bucket of concrete and some good guying, but DIRECTV will not install on a pole like that. It would have to be something you did yourself somehow and still know that you would have to tweak every so often. Depends on how bad you want it. Also I bet the apartment owners would not want you driving long lags into their structure for the guy system. So probably not a good idea to attempt it.

The real problem would be servicing the dish. If the tech can't access it, it can't be aligned properly. Also, a pole that tall would need to be supported near the top.

Last edited:
Looking at this a different way, you might want to ask apartment management if they are interested in offering DIRECTV service to everyone in the building. There are some really good programs where they would get one dish on the roof and distribution to every apartment that wants it. There's even some special pricing that DIRECTV offers to help them get this done. 'Cause, you know that no one in the building really wants cable :p

IF you can't get the suggestion SOLIDSIGNAL gave done.......there is a way, Your apartment management might not go with this. A clamp will be bolted into a roof edge. Here goes.

You do need the 2" OD steel PIPE$$$$ you mentioned; high enough to get the dish over the top of the roof (13 ft?) You will have to pass it up from the ground to a balcony and then another one until it is on your deck. Slim chance you can get it up the stairs.

Make sure with a compass that you do have a line of sight (LOS) to the Directv sats....from NC the line will be about 220 (SW). What is done is you attach the pole at the roof edge with a conduit clamp. This will hold the pole vertically at the roof edge. Then place the base of the pole on a board. This will absorb the weight of the pole & dish. Then "plumb" the pole; with a level. Then lock down the clamp at the roof edge. ........(It will make about the same holes as mounting a dish on the facia)

Now that the pole is plumb & locked down be careful not to bump it & keep the level around. The weight of the pipe will probably hold it in place on the board (12" scrap is ok) Mark the pole and a spot on the deck to make sure the pole doesn't spin. Have the installer rig the dish. You will need a 10 ft step ladder on the deck to do this installation.....and if the dish ever needs service it will have to be provided again........three flights of steps is beyond the FREE installation deal, assuming he carries one on his truck.

Report how it goes,

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sadly..I had to Drop DirecTV

Multiple HD Channels out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)