Options To Overcome Series Manager Limits

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While I love the Genie very much, I too am struggling with this limit. With 4 users in the house, we are always hovering around that limit. I agree not all shows are going on at the same time, but I don't want to have to delete one to make room for another when one is on hiatus or done for the season. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a series recording.. I don't want to have to remember when to set it back up...

While I love the Genie very much, I too am struggling with this limit. With 4 users in the house, we are always hovering around that limit. I agree not all shows are going on at the same time, but I don't want to have to delete one to make room for another when one is on hiatus or done for the season. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a series recording.. I don't want to have to remember when to set it back up...
Thats what's great about it, you can delete the programs after your done watching them if the season ends, the Genie will find when it comes back on as long as you leave them in your To Do section.

sounds like you may need another DVR

Thats what's great about it, you can delete the programs after your done watching them if the season ends, the Genie will find when it comes back on as long as you leave them in your To Do section.

I don't understand what you just said there... If the season ends and you delete the series recording for it there won't be anything in the To Do List...

Maybe, but if they say the Genie is a Whole Home/Whole Family DVR they should really up or do away with the limit. Is the only reason for the limit speed?
I understand, for most families I am sure its fine but like you that wouldn't cut it for mine, so I have no mini clients and all dvr's, same price per month anyways. As for the limit, not sure why it is there, assuming its for speed and programming reasons.

I understand, for most families I am sure its fine but like you that wouldn't cut it for mine, so I have no mini clients and all dvr's, same price per month anyways. As for the limit, not sure why it is there, assuming its for speed and programming reasons.

When you change a client to another DVR, can the Genie and other clients in the house see that DVRs playlist? Doing this would give 50 or 100 more series passes?

When you change a client to another DVR, can the Genie and other clients in the house see that DVRs playlist? Doing this would give 50 or 100 more series passes?
yes they can, and would add 50 per dvr, and of course 2 more tuners to record with.

In our house basically everyone has their own DVR, so kids can record all their stuff on their dvr etc, leaving the genie for the important stuff, but we still share one massive playlist.

The only downside to having the second DVR to overcome the series manger 100 limit on the genie is that the other DVR has to be managed independently. You cannot set times, delete series, etc from your genie. It operates as an independent box, but the playlists will be merged and show on both receivers as one list (unless you tell it to only show the one local box).

The only downside to having the second DVR to overcome the series manger 100 limit on the genie is that the other DVR has to be managed independently. You cannot set times, delete series, etc from your genie. It operates as an independent box, but the playlists will be merged and show on both receivers as one list (unless you tell it to only show the one local box).
True but you can with the directv app, or laptop. I schedule all my series via my ipad, easier to search anyways, it gives you the option of which DVR you want the series to record to.

Sorry, I'm not home to look at the menus, whats the one below the To Do list, the one where you chose you Preferences ... might be preferances.

I think that's the one ... delete your shows, the show will stay in the Preferances with a 0 next to it, when it get to be within 14 days a number will show up on it.
As long as you leave them in there.

The 100 recording limit on Genie, and 50 on HDDVR are a pain. I have three HD dvrs in my house (Two HR21 Pro's, and an HR24), and all timers are full. If I want to add a new series, I have to search through the series managers on each dvr and do mental triage to decide which show I no longer want to watch.

All you that set a bizillion timers, how do you Ever find time to watch them ?
Also, I won't feel sorry for you when that hard drive goes bad and your all complaining about all the shows you lost.
Hard drive DO go bad, doesn't matter What company your using.

Never leave anything that is really important to you on a hard drive.
Remember these HDs. run continuously so you can back things up whenever you want.

Sorry, I'm not home to look at the menus, whats the one below the To Do list, the one where you chose you Preferences ... might be preferances.

I think that's the one ... delete your shows, the show will stay in the Preferances with a 0 next to it, when it get to be within 14 days a number will show up on it.
As long as you leave them in there.

Guess you would have to have that turned on first though...

Guess you would have to have that turned on first though...
Actually, theres nothing to turn on.
The section I was referring to is the Series Manager.
When a show you have recorded comes back on, it shows up with a number next to the name in that location so you don't have to reset them each year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts