Orby Saves the Day (or more) in the California Power Blackout

I would think satellite broadband would be the best for disasters. It's just a little expensive.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Satellite internet is a good choice as a backup WAN solution for that very reason. I know of one solution that has monthly plans starting with 2GB of data up to 25/3 Mbps ($3/GB there after for full speed data, otherwise speeds drops to 100Kbps) for around $45/m with a hardware investment of around $600. If you want faster speeds after one uses your data pool up, then plans start at $90/m (35GB) with reduced speeds of 1-5 Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up (as compared to 100Kbps). With both plans, one can move the system around on their own without a call to a NOC or having to have a company service technician do it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: Titanium
Great set up Titanium. I had a Black and Decker 100 watt inverter that plugs into the cig lighter in my truck. I plugged my Dtv into and a smaller 25 inch tv. As i was not sure this would even work. The Dtv booted up and the tv was powered up . Then error forgot to plug in Swim switch that was upstairs. I had extra cord and ran it downstairs. It worked i ran it for about 2 hours with my truck running the whole time. The inverter got a lil warm but not bad it had small fan in it. My friend who is in construction recommended a 1000 watt generator to power fridge ,lights and tv for next time. But i do like the solar option so it is nice and quiet at night. Could be another project.

Round 2 of power outages started today. PG&E shut off power at 2pm to approx. 250,000 and expect to clear the event tomorrow, then restore power within 2 or 3 days after their crews inspect the distribution lines. Very frustrating when we are only seeing a light 3-5mph breeze.

The dish is set-up on the patio and Orby receiver is once again powered by the 12Vdc cord running into the house from the RV battery banks. Had two neighbors ask if I could help them watch cable TV tonight. Sorry, cable is out till power returns. They weren't too happpy!

One neighbor just drove to Best Buy and we will be hooking an Orby system tomorrow using an old Globecast dish I have in storage.

We are tough individuals here in California. Capable of surviving earthquakes, floods, fires, the highest taxes and cost of living in the country, and driving on freeways that are parking lots at commute time.

This recurring power outage thing is new, but soon we'll be able to take it like nothing happened. I commend you, Brian, for helping your neighbors get TV while the power is out. :thumbup It wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow you get started on building a nuclear reactor for your town so they can go off of P.G.&E.'s power grid. :)

Last edited:
Round 2 of power outages started today. PG&E shut off power at 2pm to approx. 250,000 and expect to clear the event tomorrow, then restore power within 2 or 3 days after their crews inspect the distribution lines. Very frustrating when we are only seeing a light 3-5mph breeze.

The dish is set-up on the patio and Orby receiver is once again powered by the 12Vdc cord running into the house from the RV battery banks. Had two neighbors ask if I could help them watch cable TV tonight. Sorry, cable is out till power returns. They weren't too happpy!

One neighbor just drove to Best Buy and we will be hooking an Orby system tomorrow using an old Globecast dish I have in storage.
Do you have natural gas? Or propane? A generac standby generator would be great. We have them on our homes. Mine was on for hours today due to an outage. Whole house works just like utility power.

Sent from our Pleadian star ship

Northern California did OK for many decades without intentional power shutdowns. We have always had fires too, but not at the intensity of the recent ones. There has always been wind, of course, and we're not in a major drought right now. But now, even with the power shutdown we have a new 10,000 acre fire today in Sonoma County - the Kincade Fire. Not sure what caused it.

Are they going to have to completely re-do all the power distribution wires here? How long will that take?

Wondering what everyone thinks got us into this mess?

Northern California did OK for many decades without intentional power shutdowns. We have always had fires too, but not at the intensity of the recent ones. There has always been wind, of course, and we're not in a major drought right now. But now, even with the power shutdown we have a new 10,000 acre fire today in Sonoma County - the Kincade Fire. Not sure what caused it.

Are they going to have to completely re-do all the power distribution wires here? How long will that take?

Wondering what everyone thinks got us into this mess?
Authorities are just prepping you guys for the total collapse!!

Reactions: N6BY
To better monitor the situation, P.G.&E. recently installed new wind gauges on some of the mountain peaks around here. But they went dead when they shut off the power.

Also with the pre-emptive power shutoff the authorities had trouble notifying people to evacuate the area affected by the Kincade fire. :facepalm

Satellite internet is a good choice as a backup WAN solution for that very reason. I know of one solution that has monthly plans starting with 2GB of data up to 25/3 Mbps ($3/GB there after for full speed data, otherwise speeds drops to 100Kbps) for around $45/m with a hardware investment of around $600. If you want faster speeds after one uses your data pool up, then plans start at $90/m (35GB) with reduced speeds of 1-5 Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up (as compared to 100Kbps). With both plans, one can move the system around on their own without a call to a NOC or having to have a company service technician do it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Which provider?

Great set up Titanium. I had a Black and Decker 100 watt inverter that plugs into the cig lighter in my truck. I plugged my Dtv into and a smaller 25 inch tv. As i was not sure this would even work. The Dtv booted up and the tv was powered up . Then error forgot to plug in Swim switch that was upstairs. I had extra cord and ran it downstairs. It worked i ran it for about 2 hours with my truck running the whole time. The inverter got a lil warm but not bad it had small fan in it. My friend who is in construction recommended a 1000 watt generator to power fridge ,lights and tv for next time. But i do like the solar option so it is nice and quiet at night. Could be another project.
c-spand. I think you need a bigger generator than a 1000 watt to start your fridge.unless you have one that can give a large surge to start the fridge. Look at the running watts of your fridge and and multiply that 3 times for the surge to start it. There is a forum that I like that you can learn about solar power, generators and alternative energy. I cant attach the web address but you can search it. northern Arizona wind and solar. I did most of my solar installation with what I learned there. I am grid tied and make 100% of the electric I use. If you just need power for a power outage a generator is the cheap way to go.

Reactions: c-spand
Oh thanks solarvic. I don't plan on buying a generator at this point but i may have given the wrong wattage. I will have to check with john again. But yes would be interested in the link. Thank you

I bought a sine wave 3K generator to handle my RV ac when the power died.

Too small.

But now, we rarely have power outages there.

I suggest calculating the absolute maximum you may need, and double it to cover start up rush.

And then at least double it again to have any hope of relying on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you would expect, generators are in very high demand here in Northern California. I went to Home Depot yesterday and talked to the cashier. She joked that when they answer the incessant phone calls, the greeting is "Good afternoon, Home Depot. We are out of generators." :)

Anyway, Sunday the winds here were some of the strongest ever. Power outages all over and more fires. Both of my BUDs blew out of alignment.

We got a break from the wind today but tomorrow (Tuesday) the wind is supposed to kick up again. More outages planned.....

Truth
FB_IMG_1572315518300.jpeg

I bought a sine wave 3K generator to handle my RV ac when the power died.

Too small.

But now, we rarely have power outages there.

I suggest calculating the absolute maximum you may need, and double it to cover start up rush.

And then at least double it again to have any hope of relying on it.

I put an inverter minisplit heat pump in my rv. Uses way less power than the rooftop coleman 14000 btu

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Can you still take it on the road?

Replaced a window, or wall penetration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts