Ordered Toshiba Regza Cinema Series 55SV670u today

One more:

IMG_1970.jpg

Dark room (backlight only), little blur because I do not have a tripod and this was ISO 80. Shutter time of 8 seconds to let in light. I took SEVERAL different versions, and this one is most accurate to what my eyes see in the dark. You can slightly make out the border, but darker than my plasma due to the local dimming. As you can see there is a tad bit of blooming (lighter area around dish info screen), but the rest is pitch black.

IMG_1982.jpg

Very, very nice. I will have to put this one on my short list for replacing my 60" XBR2 with a failing OB.

Too early to tell on longevity. I've seen claims of the same vs CCFL, or more. One truth is that the LED's are less susceptible to dimming and burnout than a CCFL, so they should keep brightness longer( or lose it slower than CCFL). The back lit sets also allow for much better blacks. I bought a 3yr in home from Square Trade, just in case.

Since it is still an LCD, just a different type of back light, I'm sure it could have dead pixels.

I do not think any flat screen LCD owners have to worry about the life of the backlight. A board will probably fail long before the backlight does and ruin the set.

Very nice indeed.

I got together with my siblings and bought my dad a Toshiba set last December as a Christmas gift (he had wanted an HD set for sometime)

He loved it at the time and continues to love it, they make some pretty damn nice sets.

I'm still highly impressed. Now that I have the user settings where I want, this tv has a pretty good picture without calibration and is razor sharp. Blacks are impressive, and its awesome when it can local dim. Video processing works well, and the Film stabilization is nice and still preserves a tad of judder, while smoothing out camera pans.

They are charging $3000 for this tv at BBuy magnolia, while the Samsung 8500 is $4500. I think Toshiba could be asking a lot more for this set if they wanted. If anyone is considering this tv, the current internet price is $1900, and thats just crazy low.

It is my understanding that this is a Samsung panel, but Toshibas gear and programming on it. Also, cosmetically, this one sheet of glass design is pretty damn sharp.

How does the reflection of the glass compare to your 85u? It doesn't look like a matte screen like some LCDs.
Really nice set by the way. I wasn't aware Toshiba did an LED now. I keep trying to steer my dad away from getting another Vizio when he finally upgrades, so I'll definitely need to throw this model into the mix.

Hehe, I could shave it in just like my 85u!

I could see where it would annoy, but Im used to plasmas so it does not bother. One plus is that the reflection area still shows a dark black during the day. My plasma seemed to have green blacks during the day, but I think it's just the screen coating.

If I had to pick a better daytime screen, it'd be the shiny Regza.

As far as your Dad goes, I cannot stop saying how good the price is on this model compared to other LED local dimming sets. The LG LH90 is nice, but has less zones and is just a fugly tv. I also do not like their Trumotion programming.

From what I understand, the 670u is a Samsung 950 panel, with Toshiba addons and programming, which might be what allows the lower price. This is not substantiated though.

Local dimming zone numbers are what helps in better blacks, so I've found a way to test the zones, and will do so tonight. Someone tried it on a LH90, so I'm gonna try the same experiment on my tv to confirm.

LH90 96 zones
LHX55 240 zones
Samsung 8500 Unknown
670u Unknown

For anyone interested, I hooked up a laptop and tested the number of local dimming zones.

12 across
8 down

This is less than I thought, but equal to the LG LH90. I'd assume this is why the Toshiba is priced so much less than the Samsung 8500, but whether the number of 8500 zones is worth $1700 more is unknown (as well as the number of 8500 zones).

They are laid out in such a way where letterbox and side bars are just about as black as the bezel.

Gregg is coming to calibrate tomorrow morning. Will post charts after he is done and I get them. I'm pretty sure the colors are going to show a good deal of improvement.

Gregg is coming to calibrate tomorrow morning. Will post charts after he is done and I get them. I'm pretty sure the colors are going to show a good deal of improvement.

Ask him how the Toshiba compares to the new Sammys LED'S and LG's after calibration. I imagine pretty close.

Yeah, thru all my research, the Samsung 8500 is superior in black, just because it has more dimmable zones. The LH90 is pretty good, but has artifacts with its Trumotion.

I'll let you know how the colors come out.

We bought this set in Jan and we absolutely love it. We "tweaked" it a little over a couple of weeks but we are definitely happy.
It replaced a 65" Toshiba rear projection that we trudged up the stairs to my sons room. He had a 50" Sammy DLP that is sitting in the middle of the living room while we figure out what to do with it.

Tis a very nice set.

If you feel like messing with settings, try these:

Backlight 35 dark, 45 day light
Contrast 90
Brightness 8
Color 3
Tint 11
Sharp 0

Colormaster OFF
Dynalight ON
Dynamic Contrast 0
Static Gamma -3
Color Temp - All 0's
Clearscan 240 - ON
Film Stabil - Standard

Final followup on the tv. After having meter addiction and trying all sorts of combo's, I left Local Dimming and 240 scanning backlight on, and have settled on the final settings.

The first pdf is user menu only and disc calibration, and as you can see, the rgb tracking, grayscale and color temp are way out.

The 2nd, 3-11, came out with an awesome scatter, but the green spike at 20% gave off some weird issues in dark scenes.

The 3rd, 3-13, was where I gave up some grayscale accuracy to remove the green spike, at the recommendation of Chad B at AVS. This actually gave me a better gamma line too.

Love the tv, and anyone looking at a 2010 LD model, they should be nice and I'd recommend an ISF calibration for the full potential.

Attachments

• Regza - User Menu Only.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Regza 3-11 1.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 107
  • Regza 3-13.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 126
I wanted to see if you are still liking the Toshiba. I plan to buy a new HD set soon in the 54-60 inch range. I have gotten recommendations on the Panasonic plasma sets, and had looked at some Sony sets prior to reading this, but have trouble justifying the price that they want for the Sony vs. the features of the Toshiba that you recommend in this thread. I have a 40'' Sony KDL-40W3000 that I have been very pleased with, I am going to move it to a bedroom and get a bigger size set in my living room. The only thing that I have with the plasmas, is they dont seem to have as sharp of a picture to me, I have one in my office, a 42'' Samsung, it is only 720P, and has a good picture, but not as sharp as the LCD Sony to me. Anyway, have been strongly considering this Toshiba, I have a 6 year old Toshiba 27'' tube set that has never had any trouble, so I believe Toshiba to be good.

I really like it. I've seen some other tv's (Vizio and LG) and the antijudder is just too much. The Toshiba's PQ is very sharp, and it smooths for the 3d look, but is not overbearing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)