OSX Yosemite experiences

Mike, does this allow you to AirDrop between an iOS device as well? The iCloud storage wouldn't bother me since I don't use it intentionally.

Also, I am curious why Apple identifies my MBA as MacBookAir170 (2) instead of its proper name. If Apple thinks I have two MBAs, it would be nice to know where the second one is!

I don't know. Have never used Airdrop. Apple seems to keep renaming my Air too. No clue why.

I have Handoff enabled, but have not actually succeeded in it working yet. I was trying to avoid logging out of my iCloud accounts because it says it will delete stuff from my machine (although I know it will resync). But given how funky iCloud photo share is, it makes me nervous. I read that it eventually catches on, but so far, nothing...

It's easy enough to check. In Finder, Shift-Command-R brings up the AirDrop window. If there is another Macintosh running AirDrop in the vicinity, it will show up in the window. I'm not sure how an iPhone running iOS 8.1 would show up. I'm trying it right now, but I don't see my Mac from my iPhone, or vice-versa.

I spoke too soon. Handoff and continuity now work on my Mac and iPhone. The iPad won't, but it is an iPad 3. Pretty impressive in terms of how quick it works.

AND Roland, I tried AirDrop. Clicked on Airdrop in the Finder window, and it showed my iPhone, and I dragged a photo to it, and it transferred. And gave me a dialogue box asking me what app I wanted to open it with.

AND Roland, I tried AirDrop. Clicked on Airdrop in the Finder window, and it showed my iPhone, and I dragged a photo to it, and it transferred. And gave me a dialogue box asking me what app I wanted to open it with.
I used the Tool that MacRumors pointed to located on the GitHub site. After creating a root password and enabling the root account, I was able to run the Continuity Enabling tool on my mid-2011 Mac Mini. However, I had limited success with it on the Mac Mini.

I was able to drag a picture from the Mac Mini running Yosemite to my iPhone 5s running iOS 8.1, but I tried to share a photo on my iPhone 5s to the Mac Mini, I couldn't do it. My Mac Mini never showed up on my iPhone 5s as a destination. One possibility is the iOS 8.1 "sees" the Mac Mini but has its own blacklist, sees it as a mid-2011 Mac Mini, and refuses to recognize the AirDrop destination. Or, I wonder if I need to do anything special on my iPhone, but it could also be a limitation due to it being on VirginMobile USA. I notice in Settings I do not have the option to create a WiFi hotspot like my wife's iPhone 5 on T-Mobile so there are some differences between carriers.

Even though I can send and receive SMS texts from the Macs through my iPhone, I'm still a little disappointed that I can't play with all the new toys... :(

I have done airdrop between iPhone and Macbook Air 2011; so I doubt there is a blacklist on the iPhone. I have used the continuity feature with email twice now, and it is pretty sweet.

I did not log-out of iCloud on my mac and iPhone, and as a result it took a full 24 hours for the feature to work. But now it works great. The SMS-relay does not require the blue-tooth connection like continuity, so that has been darn near flawless on all devices.

I can't say that the handoff continuity is a huge deal, for me it isn't, but SMS-relay is. And I am very satisfied with Yosemite, going on 2 weeks running it. No compatibility problems at all. Everything is working well, battery is back to normal.

Well my mom managed to mangle her iMac with the upgrade. I will go visit her today to restore her files, apple care essentially had to talk her through a system restore last night.

My Mac Pro running Lion is now officially acting out. I've had iTunes, iPhoto, and now Folder blow up on me. It's time for a reboot, and that rarely happens.

After almost eight years of constant Protein Folding, I think it's time to retire the Pro 1.1 and I'm going to plead my case for a new iMac to my wife.

(again, Don, you can thank me later… ;))

I did the trick on my 2011 mini. BT is turned on and partnered and both are on the same wifi. How do I get handoff and airdrop to work?

After a trip to the apple store, my Mom's iMac is working again. Essentially they just wiped the disk and put the OS on again. I restored her files off of internet backup, but also bought a time capsule so that complete restore of programs and settings could be done next time.

So Apple has been trying to push this update to my circa 2009 Mac for a week now. I keep refusing, but daily requests are getting annoying. I do have backups on time capsule and an external 2 TB disk. Is it time to bite the bullet and let it happen?

So Apple has been trying to push this update to my circa 2009 Mac for a week now. I keep refusing, but daily requests are getting annoying. I do have backups on time capsule and an external 2 TB disk. Is it time to bite the bullet and let it happen?

I updated my late 2009 iMac a couple weeks ago without issue. Hardware that old doesn't support Handoff so I used that as an excuse to get a new one. Blazing fast with the optional Fusion drive.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

I have a feeling that none of the new features are important. Phone is Android (Droid Maxx). My iPad is 1st gen and is unsupported these days. I just use it as a bedroom web browser. Newer tablets all Android as well. Kids both have Windows tablets. Even if I updated, I don't think I'd get anything useful.

I have a feeling that none of the new features are important. Phone is Android (Droid Maxx). My iPad is 1st gen and is unsupported these days. I just use it as a bedroom web browser. Newer tablets all Android as well. Kids both have Windows tablets. Even if I updated, I don't think I'd get anything useful.

Widgets in the Notification Center is kinda neat. Beyond that, meh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, continuity and handoff assume iOS devices, but there are plenty of other changes, although minor in Yosemite. I think Safari is improved; iCloud drive is very nice (but again, much more so for iOS users), spotlight is fundamentally different, and acts as a launcher among other things, the core apps all have an update, contacts, calendar, message, notes.

Is it necessary? No, but for me it has been a very good upgrade.

OK. I am worried from other posts that this might end up breaking my system and force a $1500 upgrade. I'm sorta happy with the way it runs now, and was even happier back in Mountain Lion days. None of the subsequent upgrades have helped with MY system, and I fear they will just slow it down and cause issues.

Wow, sorry folks. I seem to be in a bitchy mood today.

OK. I am worried from other posts that this might end up breaking my system and force a $1500 upgrade. I'm sorta happy with the way it runs now, and was even happier back in Mountain Lion days. None of the subsequent upgrades have helped with MY system, and I fear they will just slow it down and cause issues.

I have an old MacBook Air, 2008 or so, just for grins I wiped the HD and loaded Yosemite from scratch, followed by most of the apps. Runs great now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then, don't upgrade it. Won't cause any problems if you don't. :)

Then, don't upgrade it. Won't cause any problems if you don't. :)
Well, I did last night and I worried over nothing. The upgrade went smoothly.

Apple makes it tough to refuse a push upgrade. A message box pops up periodically asking to upgrade and the only options are "OK", "In an hour", "Tonight" and "ask me again tomorrow". No option to refuse, although I suppose I could have gone into the underlying Linux and found and killed the daemon. BUt I work on computers all day, and I want this to simply be an appliance.

Sorry for whining.

Kind of annoying that they send that as a push. I assumed you had to "buy" it from the App Store, but I "bought" it as soon as it came out. So I didn't realize it just shows up as an update.

I am glad that it was a clean install for you.

Last edited:
I remember when iOS 7 was released that I didn't like the look of it but over time it grew on me. I really like how the Mac looks now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts