OTA Antenna blocks the Satelite Signal!

ctuck

Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Like many in rural areas, the OTA antenna installed w/ my Voom system only got 2 of 4 networks and not even both of them all the time. Because of neighborhood covenants, I decided to put a large HD antennae in the attic.I installed a Radio Shack VU120XR VHF/UHF/HD/FM antenna in the attic and ran the cable into the same combiner(?) switch where Voom runs thier antenna into beneath the satellite dish. The antenna not only doesn't work for local channels it Blocks the satellite signal! The satellite icon on the Motorola receiver turns form green to red- when I disconnect the antenna from the cable, it turns green again. As a reality check, I tried to hook up a set of rabbit ears to the cable in the attic- it blocks the satellite signal too! With nothing connected to the end of the cable the satellite signal is fine. Can anyone explain whats' going on?? I thought there was essentially no difference between so-called HD antenna's like the ones Voom uses and a regular antenna.

What is happen is that the antenna more than likely don't need power to it and it is knocking you sat signal out you need to run this into a non powered multi-switch. than you should get everything to work.

tyork

So if I understand correctly: The multi-switch that Voom uses is "powered" (what's the source?). If I buy one that's specifically non powered it'll work?
Thanks-

ctuck said:
So if I understand correctly: The multi-switch that Voom uses is "powered" (what's the source?). If I buy one that's specifically non powered it'll work?
Thanks-

Yes it is getting power through the receivers So yes if you get a non powered multi-switch it will work. 1 question how many recevier do you have.

tyork

two are currently hooked up, I plan to use 3-is there a problem using 3 w/o a powered box?

Make it easy on yourself just put a DC Block in-line to the OTA. You can get ti at Radio Shack for a buck or 2. Looks just like a COAX connector but block the power from going to the OTA.

ctuck said:
two are currently hooked up, I plan to use 3-is there a problem using 3 w/o a powered box?

no you will have to have a multi-switch away if you have more than 2 boxes
so that is what i would go ahead and use ,

OK: The local Radio Shack had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for an coax in-line DC block. They called thier satellite installer and he had no idea either. What exactly is this thing called? And does anyone know where I can order one on line? I haven't looked at Radio Shacks website yet but I'll try it now-

Yes that DC block should work....because of the powered Ant that VOOM gave to you they provided you with a DC PASS multiswitch ...which wont work if you change the Ant to a non powered one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts