OTA HD local in an Apartment

jhall001

Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I live in San Antonio and most of my local channels are in 3 different angles, one of which goes through my building. I was considering the square shooter but since i have 3 angles, 25-miles away, to point at it may not work. Since I am in an apartment my antenna options are very limited, and unfortunately my unit sits lower than the surrounding units.

I currently have the terk TV55, which does absolutely nothing for me except for ABC-DT. We do have local access provided to our apartment through SBC Home Entertainment - which is aweful! I tried plugging the wall into the antenna into the back of my VOOM box but I get no HD signal, although I do get analog when plugged into my TV. Is this because SBCHE is not providing a HD signal?

on the 29th, they are switching the provider to Time Warner (no improvement from SBCHE) but will it be possible that the local channels from TWC will be provided in HD and will work with my VOOM box? They say i can get the HD package for 12/month through TWC but i will need their equipment. Of course if VOOM equipment will accept the signal I won't need TWC equipment.

Now for the true question...Will I be able to picup the local(DT) TWC channels through the wall on my VOOM box. If not, should I take back the TV55 and get the square shooter and hope I get signal reflection off the other buildings?

Or lastly will i need to pay TWC the 12/month and get the HD signal through the VOOM box?

Sorry so winded!!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Given your situation, I'd just pay the $12/month. Some ATSC converters can give you non-scrambled digital stations, but the Voom box can't. The time and money you'll spend trying to get your locals will cost more than 12/month. Just my $.02. Good luck.

I was afraid that was going to happen. I was trying to avoid switching between STB's since i already switch between my VOOM STB and regular analog antenna for locals. (I am lazy...don't like pressing 4 buttons to get from analog to digital channels)

Would placing an amplifier between the Antenna and the STB help with the signal...I get a good picture on analog through the antenna, but does an amp help the digital signal?

PS I am a first time satellite owner and trying to learn as I go about everything OTA and Satellite!!!!

An amp might help. It depends on the power levels on your locals' digital towers, also. Your problem is multipath, since you don't have a line of sight to the towers. A good antenna and amp can help increase signal strength and help somewhat with multipath, but the heavy lifting is done by the ATSC tuner in terms of dealing with multipath.

I've never gotten a clear answer on the Voom OTA is tuner, but it seems to be a market lagger, imo. Supposedly, Voom may upgrade the STB or ATSC tuner in the future. But until someone actually hands you a new box or tuner, I'd assume that info. is BS. A new generation of tuners is coming out that is supposed to be really good with multipath. If you can get a no committment deal from your cable company, do it. It stinks, but maybe by the fall your OTA options will have improved. I'm sorry I can't give you the info. you want to hear. Good luck with it.

I have been reading alot about FCC regulations. Under regulations, can my apartment prevent me from puting a huge antenna on the apartment complex or prevent me from getting free local access?

The complex has been wired to receive satellite at the main office and distribute to each of the units which they did for SBCHE. could they not put up one master antenna at the main office and provide free local to all the units through the internal wiring?

Can I be a real pain in my apartments side with this local channel access stuff? they have not delivered on alot of other things as promised and have been very difficult to work with and not very friendly.

You cannot put an antenna up unless you have exclusive use of the area. And I beleive the antenna is limited in size. Something like 1 meter in diameter.

As long as you have exclusive use of the area then your antenna can be of any size you deem necessary in order to receive an acceptable signal...the size limitation is only for a Satellite Dish. Having said that, please be aware that your antenna cannot extend beyond your area of exclusive control.

If you have excluse use of the roof then your antenna can not hang over the edge nor extend over your neighbors rooftop. If you have exclusive use of the balcony then your antenna can not extend beyond the railing.

Well thanks for everyone's help and answering my questions. I finally found a local expert and to quote him: "you live in the bermuda triangle of antenna reception". So it looks like I will be going with analog local channels, I have gone the TWC route and will not take that path again!

Thanks again!

Jon

Hey Jon,

Where you at here? Seems like it's almost impossible to be in a bermuda triangle in this town. Of course I say that and I live just a few miles from KENS & WOAI's tower and I can't get both of them at the same time, i have to angle my antenna to watch the different channels. GRR.

I'm going to get the multi directional antenna @ rat shack and see if I can get them all. BTW, how do you tune the local channels in analogue with V*?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)