OTA issues resolved but...

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
During the past few weeks I was having OTA reception problems with some of my local channels. Today I got my ChannelMaster Stealth antenna replaced and so far it looks like the reception problems are gone (I'm getting all my locals). Only my wife was at home when the installer came; when I arrived this is what I saw (see attached pic).

It looks like the antenna is not properly attached to the pole (see inclination). In fact, the installer simply re-used the pole and hardware from the old stealth antenna.

Other questions:

what antenna is this?
does anybody has it?
is that the proper orientation (pointing up, with spikes side toward the towers)?
was he suppose to use a different pole and/or attaching hardware?

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 246
Walter L. said:
During the past few weeks I was having OTA reception problems with some of my local channels. Today I got my ChannelMaster Stealth antenna replaced and so far it looks like the reception problems are gone (I'm getting all my locals). Only my wife was at home when the installer came; when I arrived this is what I saw (see attached pic).

It looks like the antenna is not properly attached to the pole (see inclination). In fact, the installer simply re-used the pole and hardware from the old stealth antenna.

Other questions:

what antenna is this?
does anybody has it?
is that the proper orientation (pointing up, with spikes side toward the towers)?
It's an 8 bay thinga-ma-jiggy. I can't recall the name, but if it works, great! It is pointing correctly, the spikes should face the towers.

Walter,

> It looks like the antenna is not properly attached to the pole (see inclination). In fact, the installer simply re-used the pole and hardware from the old stealth antenna. <

It's not. The single clamping point is not very secure. But it may be adequate. Also, the installer was (probably) just too d@mn lazy to adjust the pole angle to vertical (though it is possible it was done purposely, since this can improve reception in some cases).

> what antenna is this? <

It's a 4-bay bow-tie, known to have good reception characteristics if properly located. The brand could be ChannelMaster or Winegard, but this particular unit looks strange in a number of ways, so it's hard to say. It almost looks as if it were pieced together from leftover parts (the mesh reflector is attached BACKWARDS, for example). I alse see that he's got the balun and coax in front the the reflector (not a big deal, but I like to dress the leads behind, myself).

> does anybody has it? <

I have the ChannelMaster variant, which I got many years ago and used with good results to pick up analog OTA from ~50-60 miles. I haven't tried using it (or anything else yet) for digital OTA.

> is that the proper orientation (pointing up, with spikes side toward the towers)? <

Pointing up is a bit unusual, but probably won't hurt much, if at all. And yes, the "spikes" (each pair is a broad-band dipole) should be on the tower side. The reflector blocks signals coming from the rear, and increases the front-side reception.

> was he suppose to use a different pole and/or attaching hardware? <

Probably. It doesn't look too secure to me. I'd try wiggling it, and see if it's going to move in high winds. Might be OK. They don't have much wind resistance. Overall, it looks to me like lame-a$$ workmanship, done by somebody in a big hurry. But as I said before, it may be adequate.

- Tim

Tim,
Thanks for your reply. Damn it, I guess I'm gonna have to get some clamping hardware and fix it myself. Well, I rather do that than calling VOOM for another lazy installer!!! Thanks,

Walter L. said:

Other questions:

what antenna is this?
does anybody has it?
Walter, look here http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC3021&xzoom=zoom#xview

That U bolt is hard to slide down the pole, Probably why the lazy installer left it like that, but it will fit around the curved part of the pole. Just take it apart. I've done it before. That would make it more vertical. Not sure if the pole will hit the grill though. Isnt the grill backwards from the one in the link?

O, and why the He$$ isnt it in the attic?

I use the same antenna and had great reception, as far as 80 miles.........or did, till Voom came along.
That is the worst install I've ever laid eyes .......lol
sorry dude

That should be vertical. That's UHF, are all of your locals broadcast as UHF for digital?

vurbano said:
Isnt the grill backwards from the one in the link?
It looks backwards to me. Any other opinion?

occammd said:
That should be vertical. That's UHF, are all of your locals broadcast as UHF for digital?
I believe that all locals here in Portland are UHF. Darrell, do you know for sure?

Not exactly how I would mount it. Looks like the installer just threw it up there and was too lazy to do it right. But if it works and you are getting all your locals I guess keep it that way, but I wouldn't doubt that your signal level would be higher if the reflector screen was turned around the right way and was straight up and down.

If I had my camera with me I would take a picture of how I mounted my UHF corner-reflector on a DBS mount. I actually put about 3ft of old pipe inside the mount pipe and mounted the pre-amp at the top of the DMS mount/bottom of 3ft pipe.

Walter,
Since the installers are SAT installers by default, it seems that they are using dish mounts more than anything. If you are able to get up there you might want to order an antenna roof mount that is designed for that type of antenna because it doesn't look like you will be able to mount that antenna on that pole very securily. There are quite a few options available on the site Vurbano found. http://www.solidsignal.com/cat_display.asp?CAT=Mounting Supplies&page=1&main_cat=03

occammd, it is the reflector screen that is backwards. The bent ends should also face the transmitters.

Since I don't have my camera attached is a diagram of how I mounted one of my antennas. Sorry for the crudeness of the image, I'm not a graphic artist :)

Attachments

• antmnt.GIF
    antmnt.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 178

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)