"ota signal bouncing"

jwcool

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Only a teeny tiny sharp 32 inch sharp LCD but Voom is the best that has happened to us in a long while.
that said we have had all kinds of problems with the install folks here in the philly area. Latest was that the guy came out to check a bad reciever and "tune" the ota's better. we live in the city (~5 miles from towers) and can get all channels 94+ most of the time. since he came out the strongest signal in the area cbs (and only cbs [wifes favorite staion]) has a signal that bounces from 94+ to 70+ (back and forth) during the day and 81 to 51 at night (most of the time). needless to say our signal suffers to non existent it is a real crap shoot. When he came out last time he claimed that the diplexor installed between the antennae and the multi-switch alleviates this problem (I should interject that I am an ask a lot of questions kind of guy and usually don't get along with installers well). Can anyone give me a rational reason for the bouncing and the signal fade in the evenings.
would really like to have confidence prior to coming masters and am missing the CSI-HD
cheers
J. Cooley

jwcool said:
Only a teeny tiny sharp 32 inch sharp LCD but Voom is the best that has happened to us in a long while.
that said we have had all kinds of problems with the install folks here in the philly area. Latest was that the guy came out to check a bad reciever and "tune" the ota's better. we live in the city (~5 miles from towers) and can get all channels 94+ most of the time. since he came out the strongest signal in the area cbs (and only cbs [wifes favorite staion]) has a signal that bounces from 94+ to 70+ (back and forth) during the day and 81 to 51 at night (most of the time). needless to say our signal suffers to non existent it is a real crap shoot. When he came out last time he claimed that the diplexor installed between the antennae and the multi-switch alleviates this problem (I should interject that I am an ask a lot of questions kind of guy and usually don't get along with installers well). Can anyone give me a rational reason for the bouncing and the signal fade in the evenings.
would really like to have confidence prior to coming masters and am missing the CSI-HD
cheers
J. Cooley

Can you tell us more about your set up? How many Receivers? What kind of antenna did they install?

tyork

the antennae is a sensar II or something (the stealth bomber thing) I put it on a pole after the first dismal install in January. We had the three room install done initially but one reciever went bad and have not gotten this taken care of since guy came out last (two days of work lost there). We have three lines from the house to a multi-switch (one is not connected to an STB anymore) which has two sat lines and an antennae line. One of the sat lines and the antennae lines are joind to one via a power pass and then split again with a diplexor (sorry I know sounds weird but I got the do you want me to fix this or not speech...) one of these lines goes to the dish along with the other sat line while the other goes to the antennae. This tires me out just typing it. I get 18 ota's so I do not complain too much, but cbs is the most powerful broadcaster in the area.
does this help?
thank in advance
J

yes, if it is the sensor II it is to strong you are to close. if the the stealth we also found this not to work close up either for some reason . here is what we done to fix the exact same problem last week ,. We install a channel master 3016 in the attic work like a dream took care of this problem. then you need to run your 2 lines into a nopower multiswitch and then hook your antenna into this and you should be sat.

by the way if you have a stealth you sould not need power going back to it being this close.

thanks mucho T,
that sounds much more reasonable
I have no attic though, any other suggestions. Is there a different ota I could mount that would be better?
J

jwcool said:
thanks mucho T,
that sounds much more reasonable
I have no attic though, any other suggestions. Is there a different ota I could mount that would be better?
J

Yeah you could mount this antenna outside it would work even better just that it is alot bigger than what you have now but yeah you can put it outside .

t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)