OTA Signal Strong but Not Displaying on TV

acer007

Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Anyone know why I would get strong OTA signal (85 - 90+) for certain OTA channels but still not have the channels displayed on my tv? Other channels with same signal strength come in just fine. Is this another problem with the Voom receiver?

If your receiver is set to native resolution,the station is broadcasting 720p and your HDTV only supports or is set to 1080i, you will get a black screen. I had this problem with ABC. I was going WTF! and then the light bulb went off!!! If this is what's causing your problem, set the voom receiver to 1080i.

r.jones1116 said:
If your receiver is set to native resolution,the station is broadcasting 720p and your HDTV only supports or is set to 1080i, you will get a black screen. I had this problem with ABC. I was going WTF! and then the light bulb went off!!!

That's a good suggestion. One question for acer007. Does the channel appears in the PG?

The channels appear in PG and show the programming that is to be broadcast but I get a black screen with signal not available. So, the receiver is getting some information, right? This doesn't make sense. My receiver is set to 1080i.

Now if you tune to this local ota channel, when you go to the system setting and check the signal quality and strength it shows 85-90, right? Since when have you gotten this message? Were you able to see this channel before?

Sorry: it should be 85-90

Sean,
I've had this problem too but only since V6.20. I have 2 stations that I used to pick up just fine before V6.20. But now they show a black screen although I have a 93 and a 94 signal. My receiver is set to 1080i. I have the PG for these channels too. I say it's another bug in V6.20 but others here will tell me I'm wrong.

Bob

I have the same problem on one station also. I signal strength but no picture or sound. The channel is 10 (RF 29). Strange because 10-1 works... but not 10-3. 10-1 is the SD PBS and 10-3 is PBS-HD. I agree I am not missing much. There must be a bug with 6.20 and PSIP.

Jerry

jawilljr said:
I have the same problem on one station also. I signal strength but no picture or sound. The channel is 10 (RF 29). Strange because 10-1 works... but not 10-3. 10-1 is the SD PBS and 10-3 is PBS-HD. I agree I am not missing much. There must be a bug with 6.20 and PSIP.

Jerry

PBS is one of my favorite channels in HD, and I have been missing mine (WQED) on 13-3 since version 5.68 of the software. Recently, we are theorizing that it is because the default pbs psip from the national feed is being broadcast (80-3) because the station has something out for repair and doesn't have a psip generator at the present time. I'm anxiously waiting for the repair to be finished so I can see if this station will come in.

someone mentioned about native resolution. I've never seen a setting for native resolution. Does that mean the voom receiver passes on whatever resolution the station is broadcasting without upconversion? My tv is supposed to be able to accept all formats and upconverts them to 1080i. But all i've ever seen is the 4 color buttons to set set 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. How do you set the voom receiver not to upconvert to one of these resolutions and pass only native?

OOOHHHHHHH...you guys may of helped me too and i couldn't figure it out for hte life of me. ABC also, can't get regis and kelly in the morning, but for some reason can always pick up football (its HD) i'm trying the native thing as soon as i get home from work. If this problem is solved, and i almost totally satisfied with voom (as of late)

thanks for the hope,

TONY

The locals I'm missing with the strong signal have never been displayed for me, but I've only been up and running for about 3 weeks and my initial install was with 6.20. Is this a mapping issue or the software? Sean -- can you help?

I have had this problem since the 6.xx software came out. No 45-2 or 54-1 for me, even though the signal quality is 96+.

Glad to see others having simular problems.

-John

Same thing here...I have a PBS Channel that constantly has a 99 Singal Strength and I know for a fact is transmitting PSIP data. I get nothing but a black screen.

It Worked

Well, ABC is in now. Man, i feel better! ONLY channel i can't get is my local UPN affiliate. Its in my PG, so does that mean i should get it. I thought it was out of my area or something.

whats the difference (other then not getting a channel) between 1080 and native?

TONY

henderson_tony said:
Well, ABC is in now. Man, i feel better! ONLY channel i can't get is my local UPN affiliate. Its in my PG, so does that mean i should get it. I thought it was out of my area or something.

whats the difference (other then not getting a channel) between 1080 and native?

TONY

I think I understand this. Here's what I think it means. Native resolution is what the station is broadcasting at. ABC in 720p, CBS in 1080i, etc. If you set your voom box to native, it should output exactly what the station sends you. You can then let your tv display it if it is capable of displaying each native resolution, or your tv can upconvert or downconvert the resolution to fit the resolution it is capable of displaying.

If you set the voom box to a specific resolution instead of native, it will upconvert or downcovert the broadcasted resolution for you, to the resolution you pick. This would be for tv's that can't up or down convert the resolutions themselves. If you set the voom box to native, and your tv doesn't convert the resolution to what it displays, you may get a blank screen when you change to a channel that is broadcasting a resolution that is different that what your tv can display. If you set the voom box to a resolution that your tv can't display, you should get a blank screen on all channels.

Yes, Scotty is correct. Many of CRT-based HDTV sets on the market are not capable of displaying 720p. Some of them convert this to 1080i or to another supported resolution, but others simply don't show anything: if you have one of those, 1080i-fixed mode is your only option.

Native mode not only allows you to watch 720p OTA channels unconverted (if the TV set supports 720p resolution), but it also gives your TV set full control over SD channels, so you can stretch or crop them the way you like.

My TV set can convert 720p to its internal native resolution, but I still prefer 1080i-fixed mode because the Program Guide looks much better in this mode compared to Native mode on SD channels.

Is there a fix: High OTA Signal, No Picture?

There was some discussion last week and over the weekend regarding my problem with high OTS signal (90+) with no picture. Seems others are also seeing the problem. My follow-up question is whether there is a fix? Do I call VOOM to get a service call? Is it a hardware or a software problem? Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts