Otters coach Ftorek doesn't slow down despite personal tragedies

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
By VICTOR FERNANDES, Erie Times-News victor.fernandes@timesnews.com Advertisement ANCASTER, Ontario -- When his players called this summer, Robbie Ftorek immediately asked them about the work they put forth in the offseason. "How are you preparing?" he inquired -- a typical question from a coach concerned with the development of his players. Yet during his chats with them in late July, Ftorek was focused on something much more important. They are teenagers, Ftorek remembers thinking, calling to express their condolences in the days after the unexpected and tragic death on July 21 of his youngest child, 23-year-old Anna Ftorek. Without the shared experience of hockey to talk about, those would have been difficult telephone calls for people so young to make. And without hockey to talk about, those would have been difficult calls for the Erie Otters' coach to handle. "I was appreciative of it," Ftorek, 60, said, "but I also wanted to allow them to feel comfortable because they're going to play off what I'm doing. The common denominator is hockey. That put them at ease, I hope." On Tuesday, the first full day of Otters training camp at Morgan Firestone Arena, Ftorek and his players once again talked hockey. At breakfast, Ftorek wondered why they hadn't stopped in front of the net during Monday night's workout. As Tuesday's practices unfolded, Ftorek reminded them to pick up the pace. The detail-oriented teacher seemed to be in top form. "When he gets into hockey mode, he hides (his emotions) a little bit," said Dave Brown, Otters assistant manager of hockey operations. "I think he's still going through a lot of things." Through the customary focused, even-keeled facade lies an emotional man who has more to deal with than hockey. Ftorek lost his daughter a month ago. Then his mother- in-law died recently; her funeral was Sunday. Ftorek joined his team a day later. He appreciates the time on the ice with his players, but thoughts of his family weigh on his mind. Ftorek said Monday's opening practice didn't feel quite right. He had assistant/goaltending coach Peter Sidorkiewicz run it before taking over Tuesday's workouts. "There's no question it's different, because it's not the same," Ftorek said. He said his mind often wanders to his wife, Wendy, who remains at their home in Wolfeboro, N.H. Before he left for camp, Ftorek spoke with her about the next step in the family's healing process. Everyone grieves in their own way, he said. She has support from family and friends at home. "This here is what I need," he said. Sherry Bassin, Otters managing partner and general manager, never asked if Ftorek needed more time with his family, though it would have been available without question. Bassin has seen Ftorek spend long days at the rink, with his skates on most of the time. He wouldn't have accepted the offer, Bassin said. Ftorek wants to be there for his players, just as he has been there for his family through this difficult time. "He comes off hard, but he's a really, really good human being," Bassin said. "He's a caring individual." Players were amazed at Ftorek's composure during their phone conversations a month ago. They couldn't believe that Ftorek put their feelings ahead of his own during his time of need. "He's really caring," said second-year player Travis Wood, whom Ftorek took to his first NHL game a season ago. "All the players see it. They know that Robbie cares a lot." Ftorek counseled Connor Crisp while the veteran winger mourned the deaths of his grandfather and best friend a year ago. "He's probably the only coach I've ever had that cares about his players as much as he does," Crisp said. "Most coaches are just out there to teach the game and to win games. He wants to make every single player better (and) he cares about every player." The Otters plan to dedicate the 2012-13 season to Anna Ftorek. That's a great way of thanking their coach for his dedication. "We know how hard it is for Robbie," Crisp said. "It's a lot easier when you have family around you." VICTOR FERNANDES can be reached at 870-1716 or by e-mail. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/goeriehockey

It does sound like Robbie is a good guy. At least the preseason started with a win last night. Hopefully it will be a better year than last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts