Out of curiosity, say if I got a 4K TV, would I ever need to get a 4K antenna when 4K signals begin?

Well considering HD come in fine on 1980's old rabbit ears, I don't see why 4k would be any different, but again that is a long long ways off.

Reactions: Mr Tony
NTSC, ATSC HD and whatever 4k format is eventually chosen are all sent as formats on a carrier signal. That signal is on the TV bands which range from 54 MHz to around 600 MHz. The TV antenna is a tuned piece of wire which is designed to receive signals at that frequency. The decoding of the signal occurs in the TV or external tuner.

Basically, any antenna that is tuned for these frequencies will receive old TV, current TV or future TV signals. Yeah, I know scum companies will be out there trying to sell special HD or 4K antennas. It is total BS and in most cases those antennas will not work as well as the one you already have.

Reactions: dfergie
Basically, any antenna that is tuned for these frequencies will receive old TV, current TV or future TV signals. Yeah, I know scum companies will be out there trying to sell special HD or 4K antennas. It is total BS and in most cases those antennas will not work as well as the one you already have.
Buyer beware " Theres a Sucker Born Every Minute" ;)

4K, HD, Standard Definition signals being broadcast are all the same thing... radio waves.

A rooftop antenna put up in the 1950's picks up HD signals just as well as your modern day rooftop antenna.

You will see commercials on TV for products such as the Leaf Antenna which claims it is an HD antenna, which I guess is not a lie because it picks up HD stations, but in the end its still JUST a regular antenna. Hell if you live close to the TV towers you can use a PAPER CLIP as an antenna to pull in the stations... yet I never saw a box of paper clips that said "HD Compatible" on them. :D

http://www.diytvantennas.com/paperclip.php
paperclip.jpg

A rooftop antenna put up in the 1950's picks up HD signals just as well as your modern day rooftop antenna.
This is a little too much of a simplification. Most antennas of the '50s were VHF. Many antennas that claim to be "HD" are UHF with maybe a nod towards VHF-hi capability.

A pre-HD antenna that offers full TV coverage may be best (especially now that UHF is being so heavily scavenged by the FCC).

In my market, our channel 8 is on the channel 8 frequency so those with an "HD" antenna may be suffering.

I once worked California from Wisconsin with a 200 W transmitter on 15Meters and an antenna tuner feeding an unfolded paper clip, JUST TO PROVE A POINT.

WAIT???

You mean that badass antenna that I bought from Rat Shack the other day that clearly says "HDTV" on it works better than my HBU22 that doesnt say HDTV?????? ;)

Just to put things in perspective, don't expect 4K OTA in your lifetime, if ever. HDTV arrived only as a way to sell the digital conversion to consumers. Digital came about as a way to conserve bandwidth to allow the FCC to re-coup frequencies for tele-comm. The FCC will be looking to re-coup more bandwidth, not expand it, so don't hold your breath.

Out of curiosity, say if I got a 4K TV, would I ever need to get a 4K antenna when 4K signals begin? Or would my Winegard HD7698P receive it?

To take full advantage of 4K, you would just need a new TV set, a new type of ATSC tuner, a new 4K Blu-ray player, a new HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compatible A/V receiver, upgraded Internet connection for streaming, a new satellite receiver for satellite TV.
But you can keep your existing antenna! :D

There's a lot of "snake oil" in antenna marketing. Big claims in terms of gain or "miles" on flat terrains etc. I remember as a kid, we had cb radios as a hobby. I remember all the big claims by Wilson and K40 etc about how they performed better than a quarter wave 102" whip. Was not true. I see a lot of quirky looking designs of antennas for "HDTV" etc.

You bought something from Rat Shack?
heck yeah! 90% off

with the closing of stores got some great deals
-3 foot TV tripod for 3.50
-5 foot mast for 1.50 (grabbed 2)
-AntennaCraft C490 antenna for 8.69 (this is a monster)

Even used my Radio Shack credit card ;)
Trans Date Description Reference # Amount
02/21 SHAKOPEE TOWN SQUARE 016148 $ 13.15 GENERAL MERCHANDISE