Pace/Humax Enters Production of Next "Genie" Server (HR44)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Production starting of the HR44 / C41, but no info as to specs or what differs from the HR34.
Speculation has been that it may have only 3 tuners instead of 5, but still no info to that regard.

Press release today:

GYEONGGI, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humax Co., Ltd., a global leading set-top box manufacturer, today announced the recent approval for production of their next generation DIRECTV HR44-500 "Genie" server, which will be combined with the Humax-manufactured C41-500 "mini Genie" client which is currently undergoing final certification. Both models were developed in compliance with the RVU protocol, as managed by the RVU Alliance (www.rvualliance.org). This is the second generation RVU server and client solution, following the successful deployment of the DIRECTV HR34 and C31 models in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Humax developed this solution according to the DIRECTV Common Driver Interface (CDI) standard, which has been the foundation of many successful DIRECTV HD set-top box development programs. Using the proven CDI standard allowed for rapid time to production, reducing the overall development time of the HR44-500 and C41-500 platforms to less than one year.

"We look forward to the launch of the Humax HR44-500 RVU server and its partner the C41-500 mini Genie device as we expand our next generation Genie solution," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO for DIRECTV. "Basing the Genie system on the proven CDI standard and RVU protocol has enabled Humax to develop this solution quickly and easily. Our customers love that they can get all content in all rooms with such an easy to use system with a consistent, powerful User Interface."

"The introduction of the HR44-500 and C41-500 second generation home media server solution showcases our leadership position and development expertise in the home gateway server market," said Albert Son, President of Humax Americas. "In addition, the sophisticated capabilities of "Genie" coupled with the RVU protocol's ease of use makes this the most advanced and intuitive media server platform to date – a literal dream come true for DIRECTV subscribers everywhere."

The DIRECTV "Genie" solution's RVU protocol is based on DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) and is part of the DLNA Premium Video guidelines. These guidelines allow for the streaming of HD video to the "mini Genie" clients and other compatible CE devices, providing a consistent Remote User Interface (RUI) across all connected platforms.

For more information about the "Genie" home media server solution, visit www.directv.com.

Yesterday release from Pace:

Pace (LSE: PIC), a leading global developer of advanced technologies for service providers, today announced the recent approval for production of DIRECTV's next generation HR44 "Genie" Media Server and C41 "mini Genie" device. These innovative new products are developed in compliance with the RVU protocol, as managed by the RVU Alliance (www.rvualliance.org).

The introduction of this next generation RVU server and client architecture supersedes the successful deployment of Pace manufactured HR34 Genie server and C31 mini Genie throughout the United States in 2012. This also follows numerous other Pace High Definition set-top box developments for DIRECTV all based on the highly successful Common Driver Interface (CDI) standard. Pace's experience in using CDI has decreased the development time for complex HD, HD-DVR and client/server set-top box solutions to less than a year.

"The innovation and success of the HR34 and C31 Home Media Center products across our network in 2012, affords great anticipation as we introduce our next generation Genie solution," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO for DIRECTV. "This represents a significant advancement in home media content distribution. With Pace, we continue to partner on innovative products and solutions for our subscribers."

The DIRECTV "Genie" system is based on the RVU protocol, which is in turn based on DLNA and part of the DLNA Premium Video guidelines. This allows the streaming of HD video content via a highly secure connection to the C41 clients, or other compatible CE devices. It also provides a consistent UI across all connected platforms.

RVU offers a proven, deployed standard allowing broadcasters to keep their brand experience intact on every TV in the home. It delivers a pixel perfect user guide and high quality video to every client in the home, significantly reducing the amount of software testing required as new features are delivered.

"The RVU platform is designed to simplify everything from the development, integration, and deployment of the system," said Tim O'Loughlin, president, Pace Americas. "This translates into a seamless home installation with a great user experience."

As the processing power in Home Media Servers increases year after year, the ability to consolidate the user guide, applications and video storage centrally, and securely, provides broadcasters a more efficient way to offer added value services. Such services include Pandora, Facebook and YouTube, alongside linear TV. The simplification of the eco-system benefits everybody with shorter development times, more exciting functionality, and higher customer satisfaction.

DIRECTV launched their "Genie" Whole Home system to subscribers across the United States in 2012.

Samsung in their new Smart TVs press release also indicated they were finishing plans on the HR44 as well, so it appears DirecTV has three manufacturers set to roll on the HR44.

It better have some darn good features to compensate for only having 3 tuners if that's the case. I'll stick with my 5 tuner HR34. :)

unless you can record all 4 networks using one tuner (but unlike dish make it all the time) I see no reason for it

Hello everyone,

I was on the other satellite site DBSTalk.com and they have an HR44-700 first look on the home page. It actually has "5" tuners. Give it a look/see. The HR-44 could have more than the crrent 2 manufacturers producing this model. I was eagerly anticipating an eight tuner model but DirecTV surprised many people including me by only having 5 tuners. The other tuner variation could have been 3 tuners which would have complemented the HR34-700 for an 8 tuner setup. An eight tuner model or an 5 and a 3 tuner model would require some sort of client system, RVU compliant TV's or something like a HD modulator distribution system to easily feed a bunch of TV's. :rant:;)

It actually has 6 tuners not 5 but one tuner is reserved for the guide.

A log of people (including me) thought it had three tuners as there were only 3 demux chips on board. What we didn't know until now is each chip handles two channels.

I wish I could have had a chance to see it but it was only being shown in the private directv suite or by invitation only at the Broadcom booth.

I got to admit I really like the innovation being shown by both companies, my only question is how can they make them better?

I wouldnt mind 7 tuners :)

Actually I wouldnt mind if they took the existing 5 tuner setup and if you record more than one of the Big 4 at ANYTIME it would only take up one tuner (since I assume the big 4 in **most** cases are on same TP). Not record everything during a block but like yesterday when there are 3 programs on at same time on CBS, ABC & Fox. I dont want all 3 hours...I just want it to take up only one tuner :)

If this hr-44 only has 3 tuners I don't understand why someone would want that over the hr-34(genie). I think my hr-34 is the GREATEST dvr in the world!!! I love it so much that if directv came to me and asked me what I would like to change about it, I would tell them, NOTHING!!! I love the hr-34, and directv :)

It actually has 6 tuners not 5 but one tuner is reserved for the guide.

A log of people (including me) thought it had three tuners as there were only 3 demux chips on board. What we didn't know until now is each chip handles two channels.

I wish I could have had a chance to see it but it was only being shown in the private directv suite or by invitation only at the Broadcom booth.

I got to admit I really like the innovation being shown by both companies, my only question is how can they make them better?

Hello Scott Greczkowski,

The dedicated tuner for the guide is an interesting change. Does this tuner count toward the 8 tuner limit on a leg of a swm16 or toward the 8 tuner limit on a single cable swm type dish? Wouldn't it have been better if that capability had been incorporated into the swm lnb or swm16 without losing a tuner for viewing/recording? I know from an economic standpoint it would cause a rather large expense but would it work as a technological update to the swm system as the quide could be distributed to all receivers and dvr's on demand? :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)