Panasonic BDT110 User Review

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Picked up a new BDT110. Been running it for about two weeks now.

MSRP: $149.99

Features: HDMI 1.4a, 2D to 3D conversion, 3D video effects, 1080p/24 DVD scaling, wireless ready (no dongle), etc.

Streaming: DLNA certified, Netflix, Vudu, Skype, Amazon, Pandora, Picass, Bloomberg, Fox Sports, You Tube, Twitter, CinemaNow

Setup: I am hooked up to a JVC RX-3 running through a Marantz AV7005 with 5.1 right now. Setup was a complete breeze. The unit is very small, similar to a DVD player. With the new analog sunset hitting, there are no component or analog outs. You will be limited to a digital connection. The new interface is very intuitive and a huge improvement over previous models. Setup video to 1080p/24, audio to bitstream w/secondary audio off. Network setup was a breeze. Just hooked the Ethernet cable and it was immediately setup. Next I updated the firmware to the new version (1.47) and done. You can also set your own background on the home page using an SD card.

BD Playback: I have watched several BDs over the past few weeks. Load times are quick and I have not run into any compatibility issues, including “The Next Three Days”, a Lionsgate title. Picture quality is as you would expect from a BD. I see no difference in playback to my Oppo or other Blu-ray players. The pictures are clean, dependent on the quality of the source, with no artifacting artificial edge enhancement etc.

DVD Playback: I believe we have about reached the end of what we can do with a standard DVD. The player will upscale standard DVDs to 1080p/24. It must be set manually for each title as with previous players. The upscaling largely depends on the quality of the DVD transfer. Using Star Wars Episode 2 as my reference, shot digitally, I found the picture to be spectacular as a standard dvd can get. No jaggies on the fast moving scenes and colors were bright.

3D Playback: Of course the reference title is Avatar. It looked brilliant. Of course ghosting, brightness, etc are mostly dependent on the viewing source. I saw no ghosting on this title. I have also watched Legends of the Guardians and that was very good, also. No problems with 3D playback.

2D-3D Conversion: I have used this several times. The only title I didn’t like it with was Bambi (4:3). The conversion works extremely well and adds a lot of depth rather than pop out. I watched the beginning of HP6 where the Death Eaters are flying through town destroying everything. The conversion never lost tracking and was clear all the way through. When watching “The Next Three Days, it felt like I was in the back seat. The one drawback was subtitles. They are far back in the picture. I might be able to adjust that out a little with the pop out effect. Over-all much better than any conversion I’ve seen on a TV.

Netflix: Netflix has the new interface which allows searching and also allows 1080p and DD+ 5.1 when available. Selection is pretty limited right now. Hopefully the selection will improve with the competition. Watched “The Chaperone” and the picture was terrific. No streaming artifacts at all. I saw very little difference between the Oppo and BDT110 on the “Green Berets”, either. I only encountered a black flicker once last night. Brief and didn’t reoccur. Never dropped sound.

Amazon: Amazon now has free streaming for Prime members. I have had no problem connecting full bars with HD. The picture quality is behind what Netflix offers, but there are a few good titles worth watching when you’re bored.

Drawbacks: As I stated, there are no component or analog outs. If you need wireless, you will need to go with the 210 which has built-in wifi and a touch free sensor. There is no avi support as I have with my Samsung and Oppo or Divx. No big deal for me. I have other devices.

Overall: This is a great player for the money. Least expensive BD player I've owned. If you need DVD-A or SACD support, then the Oppo might be the way to go. If you need a player with great features and support, this is a great player. I'm liking this player more than the Oppo right now.

S~

Pictures to come.

Last edited:
Pictures: Got some ambient light with the curtains open. I'll try for some BD snapshots later on.

S~

Attachments

• BDT110 Home.jpg
    BDT110 Home.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Netflix Interface.jpg
    Netflix Interface.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Netflix.jpg
    Netflix.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 228
I agree with everything that Ive tried, that was said above. Great little player, helluva price too. I'm going to do one more experiment with 2D-3D tonight, since Im finding it takes me 10-15 minutes to adjust to 3D. The short evaluations of 2D-3D may have not been fair, so a 2.5hr Blackhawk Down should do it :)

It came with an Avatar coupon, but it did not start until 3/1 (bought mine on 2/28 :( ). At the advice of a Panny employee, I sent it in anyways, so we will see what happens.

Copy over from AVS on 2D-3D, for me at least:

"I've read several articles where they state that filming a movie in 2D, then converting to 3D is not a huge deal and can be quite nice, as long as you shoot it with 3D in mind. Fast camera pans are issues, as well as quick jumps to different angles, because it takes your eyes time to adjust.

This could be part of my issue. As a comparison, RE Afterlife was awesome to me, but I tried to watch Blackhawk Down 2D-3D last night, and could not do more than 10-15 minutes at a time. Going back and forth I found myself enjoying straight 2D. YMMV."

2D-3D, I love this little player. I think BR players are finally there, reliable, cheap, quiet, small and fast. This will be a quality 3D player at $100 before too long I bet.

I'm just waiting for the first price drop. Not too interested in the 3-D as too much of my system would need to be scrapped, but it looks to be a solid player.

I'm wondering if part of is due to the DLP. I haven't experienced any of that on the JVC. Seems most of the complaints come from DLP owners at AVS.

S~

Im fixing to throw my BDT110 in the trash...

Since the BD85, ive not been able to do Amazon HD streaming, when every other box I have that has Amazon will do it fine. Now, I tried to setup Nflix today to check out the Instant PQ, well, everything I play I get "We're having trouble playing this title right now". This is Bullsh!t, and if they intend to sell a player that only reliably play movies, then say so.

I've read that Panny players can have issues with certain connections (mine is a ATT DSL 2Wire Wireless router), but, here is everything that works with it:

Works
Oppo BDP93
Samsung LCD
Samsung Plasma
TiVo HD and Premier
Roku
Apple TV
Directv DVR

Doesnt Work
Panny blu-ray players

see what Im getting at here?

i just bought one of these as someone here was selling his practically brand new unit for $75 shipped. was looking to upgrade my bd player. don't have a 3d tv yet but hope too soon. sounds like a great investment! :)

Its a great BD/3D player.

I just did a hard reset, tried everything all over again and it still wont work. Went over to the premier, setup netflix, and am streaming HD at full quality. BS man.

Im fixing to throw my BDT110 in the trash...

I've read that Panny players can have issues with certain connections (mine is a ATT DSL 2Wire Wireless router), but, here is everything that works with it:

Works
Oppo BDP93
Samsung LCD
Samsung Plasma
TiVo HD and Premier
Roku
Apple TV
Directv DVR

Doesnt Work
Panny blu-ray players

see what Im getting at here?

Yeah, but...
With all those good solutions, why do you give a rat whether it works with the Panny anyway? I just need one good box with each set, and frankly none of the boxes I have now will do the whole job. I am seriously considering the Roku, and if I do that, I would never be worrying about streaming from the TIVO or the Panny BluRay.

True, I just think Panasonic has some issues these days.

I just plugged in a new Apple TV, pretty impressed with the PQ of HD movies. Its a set bitrate all the time, not variable, so it just buffers for a couple of minutes to get you ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)