Panasonic or Pioneer?

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Hello everyone! I just registered here because I want to learn more about blu ray players and also I am wanting to buy one. I have NO idea what is a good or bad one. I have a Pioneer Plasma tv and I was thinking of matching it with a Pioneer blu ray player. I was looking at the BDP-51FD or the BDP-05FD. Does anyone have one or know of one player compatible to it? I have also heard that the Panasonic DMP-BD55 is an amazing player as well.

What should I get? Thank you for your time everyone!

Doug

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
The Pioneer is very flaky and does not offer at this time internal decoding of DTS Master. It's supposedly been coming for a while. For a third generation player, I am very disappointed with them. I will only special order if a customer insists. The best player for the money is the BD35/55 depending on if you need analogs or not. They are complete players and have been bug free so far (knock on wood). The Sony's aren't bad either.

S~

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
The Pioneer is very flaky and does not offer at this time internal decoding of DTS Master. It's supposedly been coming for a while. For a third generation player, I am very disappointed with them. I will only special order if a customer insists. The best player for the money is the BD35/55 depending on if you need analogs or not. They are complete players and have been bug free so far (knock on wood). The Sony's aren't bad either.

S~

The man with the knowledge, dougy you can pretty much head to the bank with this post. I think many guys buys Pioneer just for the name, and it can be a mistake.

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
My tv is a Pioneer PDP-5071PU 50" plasma. It's a couple years old but it still looks amazing. My receiver is a Yamaha - HTR 5960 which is a few years old but it has been a great receiver for me.

I admit I am one of those guys that thought about Pioneer just cause of the name. My heart was set on the Pioneer but after reading reviews and with everyone's knowledge, I am thinking the Panasonic will be right for me!?!?

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Should I consider a different receiver as well? I haven't upgraded it because I haven't had one single problem with it and it sounds great with my speakers. Sorry for all the questions! I'm not too smart when it comes to electronics that is why I like to ask the pro's. :)

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I do appreciate the information. A friend of mine even told me the BD55 profile is 2.0 and I won't be disappointed. One of the reasons I ask many people is because I like to buy something and keep it for awhile. I wish electronics weren't so expensive. :(

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Yes, he is. It appears to me that you receiver has multi channel inputs (looking at a picture of the back) which would allow the BD55 to give you TrueHD and Master HD audio. I also fully understand not being disappointed.

Youll be very happy with the PQ, but I want to make sure youll be able to enjoy the audio as much as possible.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
HTR-5960BL_RP.jpg

Heres a shot of the back. Im not very familiar with analog because Ive only dealt with HDMi audio, but it should help someone more in the know.

dougy

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I should have introduced myself but I was in the mood to do some learning. :)
From the looks of it I have to buy an HDMI cable with the Panasonic if I purchase it?

Also, would you think I should just keep my receiver and use it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)