Parents: Beware, Your Under Legal Age Children Will Be Held Responsible For Your Account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorjeen

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Pennsylania
Hello All,

I received DirecTv back in '05 when my daughter was 14 years old. We had the service for a couple years, and ultimately changed to a different
company. She is now a college student & moved on her own last month. She called Direct a couple days ago to inquire about service. Because my
daughter lived in my home & watched the programming, DirecTv is refusing her service, because I still have a balance. Now,mind you, my service
was cancelled by me before she was even 18! They told her she received mail at that address at that time & was associated with me & ultimately
watched television. I always said, I would never use my child's name for anything that has to do with credit for fear something would happen and I would tarnish
their credit. So it's hard for me to even begin to comprehend how a company can cause the child to suffer the repercussions. Beware Parents! if
you leave their company with a balance, it is your children who will ultimately be punished & have to do without!

Last edited:
I guess their view point is apples don't fall far from the tree.

Not sure I agree with them penalizing her for your bills but it is what it is. You really should pay your bill though.

why not pay the balance you owe,then your daughter could get dtv.I really don't understand why you would expect sympathy when you owe them money.

Hello All,

I received DirecTv back in '05 ...We had the service for a couple years, and ultimately changed to a different company ... because I still have a balance.

If I follow the dates...you have owed them a balance for 6+ years?!? Seriously? Have you thought of perhaps paying your bill to clear your (and now her) good name and credit?

She should of given her current address instead if yours which is black listed as long as you live there or pay up.

This just seems odd to me. I don't see them deny her service unless 1 it was in her name and she has an unpaid balance or 2 she is living in the same home. Regardless, I think number 2 still wouldn't apply

I'd have HER call back and try again, make sure she gives them Her address and if they ask about the previous balance, which they shouldn't, she can say a) it wasn't her bill and b) she doesn't live there.

If she calls up and says Hi I am looking to get your TV service and my name is Jane Doe and I live at 123 Main street, Anywhere USA, they should not in any way associate her with you and she should be fine ..... you would think.

I guess their view point is apples don't fall far from the tree.

Not sure I agree with them penalizing her for your bills but it is what it is. You really should pay your bill though.

My cousin is sitting next to me and said the exact same thing!

Seems like this kind of behavior from D* would have been apparent by now if it the situation is exactly as described. Hard to believe she would be blackballed at a.completely different address, but I guess it could happen.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It's part of the verification process from directv.

They do a background check on every potential customer and look at a persons previous address to match accounts.

It looks to directv that you moved and your wife is trying to get new service in her name.

It's really no different than comcast where they black list people based on address. If you move into a house that has a history of people not paying the bill and leaving high balances , they will not service the address until the previous bill at the address was paid. Reguardless if your related to the previous tenant or owner of the home.

They do a background check on every potential customer and look at a persons previous address to match accounts.

It looks to directv that you moved and your wife is trying to get new service in her name.

It's really no different than comcast where they black list people based on address. If you move into a house that has a history of people not paying the bill and leaving high balances , they will not service the address until the previous bill at the address was paid. Reguardless if your related to the previous tenant or owner of the home.

Well, thats just WRONG ....
If your moving into an address and the previous owner had a balance that you can't get service .... thats ridiculous.

As an observation: if you search using just the first sentence in this post you'll find the exact verbiage was used in a posting on another site a few minutes after this post.
"jorjeen's" profile may suggest a female however wouldn't make a difference in responses. It isn't clear the purpose of this other than to say DTV is bad..... seems like social media may be a better place to get this story out.... if it's true.
Maybe jorjeen can clarify why he/she still had an outstanding balance on an account.....

As an observation: if you search using just the first sentence in this post you'll find the exact verbiage was used in a posting on another site a few minutes after this post.
"jorjeen's" profile may suggest a female however wouldn't make a difference in responses. It isn't clear the purpose of this other than to say DTV is bad..... seems like social media may be a better place to get this story out.... if it's true.
Maybe jorjeen can clarify why he/she still had an outstanding balance on an account.....

I'd have to say its a giant FAIL if the idea was to make DirecTV look bad...without a deeper explanation, all they are really doing is calling themselves out as someone who doesn't pay their bills. :rolleyes:

Comcast must not provide service in any college town because a previous tenant in off-campus housing not paying that last bill isn't anything new or even odd. A policy such as you claim would mean almost all off-campus housing wouldn't be able to get service with the new tenant. And I can assure you, that's not the case at all.

Comcast must not provide service in any college town because a previous tenant in off-campus housing not paying that last bill isn't anything new or even odd. A policy such as you claim would mean almost all off-campus housing wouldn't be able to get service with the new tenant. And I can assure you, that's not the case at all.

I'm a comcast retailer and I can tell you that they do indeed black list addresses.

Maybe after the first person doesn't pay their bill, they allow a second account to go through. They do score each address based on previous payment history and there is addresses they just refuse to service.

Comcast has launched a pre-paid test market in Detroit. I have signed up dozens of customers under this program, and 30% are due to comcast black listing the address due to continued delinquencies.

College towns generally do not have the issue with deadbeat tenants, like you see down in the hoods of Detroit.

I'm a retailer for charter also. They have a similar policy and score addresses.

If your address had a past due bill, the new customer pays the first month and install fee to the installer on the day of install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)