Patent Battles: Who are the Trolls?

The Apple vs. Samsung patent battle is getting vicious...

First, the Duesseldorf court banned Samsung from selling its tablets in all of EU but Holland.
(Just as a sidenote: the Duesseldorf court is akin the one in Texas - very patent troll friendly).
Second, they started questioning whether they can issue an EU-wide decision and limited it to Germany only.
Third, the Dutch court had their own "discussion" and decided that
- Apple's tablet claims are complete crap;
- 3 out of 4 Apple patents related to smartphones are garbage;
- the remaining one - swiping through the photo collection, native Android app - is in violation of an Apple patent.
Fourth, the Dutch judge explicitly told Samsung that the same app in Android 3.0 does not violate the patent.
And if Samsung decides to switch to the newer version, their smartphones will be cleared (have until October).
Fifth, Samsung's appeal in Duesseldorf failed and their tablets are still banned from being sold (in Germany for now).

This fight doesn't get boring...:)

Diogen.

Definitely begging for an Apple lawsuit: rectangle, rounded corners, and now even thin...:)
Toshiba to announce ultrathin tablet – leaked pictures

toshiba-thin-tablet-2-august-2011.jpg

Diogen.

Is this the sign of the coming post-Jobs era at Apple?
DailyTech - Apple Cries About Samsung and Motorola's Patent "Monopoly"
Apple Claims Android Phone makers are "Abusing" Patent System...
Apple is irate about these companies' countersuits, which rely largely on patents covering wireless communications.

They will most likely file a brief against Moto's acquisition by Google. Interesting to see how far it will get them...

It is going to be Comedy Central!

Diogen.

Apple is a strange company. The sue anybody that has anything similar to something they create. They also take what they want. Cisco owed the trademark on iphone before Apple created it. Since Cisco is a big company, Apple had to do something to get the name. I have a friend that has a company that created a product called Spotlight. They own the trademark to the software. Yet, four years later, Apple comes out with a search software called Spotlight, violated my friends trademark. When I asked him what he was going to do, he said nothing. Apple basically challenged them to sue them if they wanted to, but they weren't going to giving them anything. He loves Apple too much.

Which also reminds me, Apple has a sound on their systems called sosumi (so sue me) from their first lawsuit with the Beatles over the use of the Apple name and logo

Last edited:
Apple is a strange company. The sue anybody that has anything similar to something they create. They also take what they want. Cisco owed the trademark on iphone before Apple created it. Since Cisco is a bit company, Apple had to do something to get the name.

On February 2, 2007, Apple and Cisco announced that they had agreed to temporarily suspend litigation while they held settlement talks, and subsequently announced on February 20, 2007, that they had reached an agreement. Both companies will be allowed to use the "iPhone" name in exchange for "exploring interoperability" between their security, consumer, and business communications products.

It looks to me like Cisco and Apple both got what they wanted.

Apple basically challenged them to sue them if they wanted to, but they weren't going to giving them anything.
I don't think Apple has a patent on strongarming the small players...:)
Here is what Cisco did just a few months ago (with US DOJ help).
And I'm not even talking about Microsoft checkered past...

I think the problem is Apple's desire to look morally right regardless of what they do.
They themselves started believing in their sainthood!

This state never lasts. Karma is a b!tch...

Diogen.

Obsession? I would have never guessed--

32 posts, 26 are from diogen.

Attachments

• diogenobsession1.jpg
    diogenobsession1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 90
  • diogenobsession2.jpg
    diogenobsession2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 81
  • diogenobsession3.jpg
    diogenobsession3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
When facing a choice between "obsession" and
stupidity, I'll pick the former every time...

Diogen.

That is interesting
HTC sues Apple with help from formerly Google-owned patents -- Engadget

Not quite clear what are those 9 patents that Google transferred to HTC.
They could not have come from the Moto acquisition (that hasn't been cleared yet).
Regardless, it looks like this is the way Google decided to get involved directly without being sued...

This is probably what Schmidt meant when he said
we will make sure they [HTC] don’t lose, then.

I can't quite understand the stand-off between Apple and the 2 main Android handsets manufacturers - Samsung and HTC.
Apple's goal is clear - to slow them down. But at this stage of any patent fight the sides usually get sober and start looking for ways to mend fences.
With Apple vs. Samsung and Apple vs. HTC the exact opposite is happening.

And if the first can be semi-justified (nobody wants their CEO to be insulted), the second is violating any common sense.

Diogen.

EDIT:
It does look that Moto patents are in play here because
The nine patents from Google come from a variety of places such as Motorola, Palm, and Openwave Systems. It should be noted that the patents were transferred from Motorola before Google’s offer to purchase Motorola, and are independent of the purchase. There is no word on how much money HTC paid for the patents from Google, but it is clear that they did not waste any time using them against Apple.
That's interesting and most likely has to do with the patents Apple complained about...

Last edited:

What emerging new technology will mature in 2012?

HN9000 Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)