Pause one channel while watching another?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

madcityscott

Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Just got the new DVR yesterday. With the HR-10-250 I could pause a program on one input while watching another on the second input. (This is great for watching two football games at once, for instance.) Is there a way to do the same thing on the new HR-20? I haven't been able to find it in the manual.

Sorry, found the answer in another thread. Doesn't look like it's possible due to the lack of dual live buffers. If you ask me, that's crazy. Seems like a real step back. Any idea if they're going to add that feature?

Sorry, found the answer in another thread. Doesn't look like it's possible due to the lack of dual live buffers. If you ask me, that's crazy. Seems like a real step back. Any idea if they're going to add that feature?

Not a high priority here.
My D* remote has a "BACK Button".

Jimbo

Not a high priority here.
My D* remote has a "BACK Button".

Jimbo

I've seen this reply from you in a couple of threads. I don't understand why you can't acknowledge that other people prefer the dual live buffers instead of basically saying it's an unnecessary feature.

I've seen this reply from you in a couple of threads. I don't understand why you can't acknowledge that other people prefer the dual live buffers instead of basically saying it's an unnecessary feature.

The problem is that for 12 months people have complaining about this ....
However it's only been the TIVO people that refuse to realize that it's not an option on the new units.
Move on my friend, it's not a TIVO and TIVO is not the End all be all.

Jimbo

jimbo us cable people also realized this as well. I like the dual buffers of my comcast dvr or scientific atlanta dvr. As a matter of fact, I don't know why cable companies don't advertise this (that you can watch one show while recording two others and you can't on directv). Sounds like a good marketing ploy to get people to switch from directv to cable.

jimbo us cable people also realized this as well. I like the dual buffers of my comcast dvr or scientific atlanta dvr. As a matter of fact, I don't know why cable companies don't advertise this (that you can watch one show while recording two others and you can't on directv). Sounds like a good marketing ploy to get people to switch from directv to cable.

I can watch something on my HR20 and record 2 other shows, either network or sat, I don't know why you can't.

but can you swap between tuners like the cable dvrs can, without recording anything?

Jimbo must not understand what dual live buffers are if he thinks the "back" button accomplishes the same thing.

Jimbo must not understand what dual live buffers are if he thinks the "back" button accomplishes the same thing.

No,
I understand exactly what DLB's are ....

It's just you TIVO people have to come aboard and accept that the NEW HD DVR does NOT have this feature at this time, instead of complaining because it's NOT there, move on and accept the new features that the TIVO never had.

As I 've said before, I DON"T have to see EVERY play of every game, or evrey minute of a show, you CAN RECORD both shows, why do you need to try to WATCH them BOTH at the same time ?

Jimbo

As I 've said before, I DON"T have to see EVERY play of every game, or evrey minute of a show, you CAN RECORD both shows, why do you need to try to WATCH them BOTH at the same time ?

Jimbo

Because we could. It was a great feature. I really miss it. We used it to switching back and forth between shows as well as games, it was great.

We should all be a little more forgiving of Jimbo's crankiness, he's probably still in mourning for his beloved Buckeyes after the two National Championship game dismantlings at the hands of the mighty Gators.

I agree with you guys-the lack of dual buffers is a MAJOR step back.. In this case-TIVO does rule.

GoGators
2006 AND 2007 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions
2006 NCAA Football Champions

One option is to record both channels and switch between the recordings. I have done this once in order to see the endings to two football games in their entirety. Using the Prev button I can switch between the two channels but they remain at the point I paused the recording. I then have to delete the recordings but it accomplished the task at hand.

I'm with you guys on really missing the double buffer function. Since I've had DirecTV I have never had anything but a DirecTV Tivo and DirecTV HD... unfortunately I had to switch for the new channels. I do like being able to scan the guide and list while watching either live tv or a recorded program.

yikes,,,, first off I never had a tivo,,,, to accomplish this I set both programs to record, then I start watching one of the programs from the playlist, then I start watching the other from the playlist,,,, each time i want to go to the other program i select it in the playlist and press resume

Last edited:
yikes,,,, first off I naver had a tivo,,,, to accomplish this I set both programs to record, then I start watching one of the programs from the playlist, then I start watching the other from the playlisy,,,, each time i want to go to the other program i select in the playlist and press resume
And with my HD-Tivo I don't have to tape either program. I just press the down arrow. One whole button to push - down arrow, that's it.

I've accepted that the HR20 doesn't have it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. However, we still have an HR10 in the primary TV watching location, so the dual live buffers are still very much part of my TV habits. Once the new channels do come out, I'm sure we'll look into swapping that receiver as well.

I did send an email to Customer Service asking that they consider adding the feature to the HR20. It might not ever happen, and we'll have to live with it. But if enough people complain, maybe they'd consider it?

yikes,,,, first off I never had a tivo,,,, to accomplish this I set both programs to record, then I start watching one of the programs from the playlist, then I start watching the other from the playlist,,,, each time i want to go to the other program i select it in the playlist and press resume

as i said in my post, you don't have to go to the playlist. once they are recording, you just start using Prev to go back and ofrth. It saves you a couple of button pushes.

I had the dual buffer with Ultimate TV. It isn't anything special. The number of times I used it was minimal, normally just to watch the full ending of two sporting events. The need to watch two nonsporting events at the same time is not present for me. There are so many other features that would be of greater value to people than dual buffers. One that comes to mind is a much better way to record all occasions of a show but only at a specific time on a specific day regardless of how many other times it is shown.

I had the dual buffer with Ultimate TV. It isn't anything special. The number of times I used it was minimal, normally just to watch the full ending of two sporting events.
Obviously everyone's TV viewing habits are different - otherwise there wouldn't be such disagreement about DLB's. I personally use DLB's even more often than the record feature itself (many times it is indeed a sporting event on at least one of the tuners - MLB, NBA, etc). Once we get rid of our Tivo, I'll just have to change my habits.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)