Pending State of Illinois (Services Tax) Satellite & Cable TV Tax

Blackhawks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Chicago Norh Suburbs
The State of Illinois is getting ready to try and pass into law a "NEW" Services (State) Tax, which would affect Satellite & Cable Television Customers, as well as possibly other Services, ie; ADT, SiriusXM Radio, Etc..

The State of Illinois has NEVER had a Services (State) Tax and/or a (State) Tax that would affect Satellite and Cable Television. However, local governments did tax ONLY Cable Television Provider, not the State of Illinois which is now being proposed and pushed by guess? Cable Television Providers.

UPDATE: The Illinois Senate passed the 5% State Tax on Satellite Television, but the Illinois House defeated this proposal. Now we'll see what occurs?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...cent-tax-on-satellite-tv-to-help-schools.html

Last edited:
Well at least it targets all media, instead of just satellite such as in Ohio.

In Florida, our service tax is on sat, cable, gas, water, garbage, electricity, etc. It equals a state income tax. It is in addition to a 7.5% sales tax. It is $6.65 on a $65 bill for my Dish bill alone.

Not the last tax Illinois will pass. They are not picking on tv providers alone. Soon they will tax the air you breathe as they try to stay afloat with their out of control spending. Many states in this predicament.

In Florida, our service tax is on sat, cable, gas, water, garbage, electricity, etc. It equals a state income tax. It is in addition to a 7.5% sales tax. It is $6.65 on a $65 bill for my Dish bill alone.
It certainly does not equal a state income tax, at least in total dollar amount. When I lived in PA my state income taxes ran me 3.1%, which on, say, a $50,000 income ran over $1,500. No way are you paying anywhere near that amount on services taxes in FL.

Not the last tax Illinois will pass. They are not picking on tv providers alone. Soon they will tax the air you breathe as they try to stay afloat with their out of control spending. Many states in this predicament.

yep, Illinois is in deep financial doo-doo! :( This tax didn't get passed now, but I think it will pass as they continue to look for ways to get more tax dollars. So far they've raised the income tax and added another $1 to each pack of cigarettes (as well as some tax on other tobacco products). I expect booze will be next. The sin taxes are so easy for them to increase. One thing that was a bit different with the cigarette tax was that they didn't do the usual 'health benefits' crapola much, they pretty much said it was to get more dollars.

Next up is what to do with the Teacher's pensions. Very much underfunded for many, many years. The current thinking is to pass the deficits down to the local school districts. Again, another tax increase, just closer to home! :(

I don't think the House defeated the proposal - I thought they haven't voted on it yet, but will be voting on it the next time they reconvene.

The House didn't defeat it, it wasn't voted on as you noted. But some stories indicate that it has to go back through again, while others say the House can just bring it up for a vote when they reconvene.

Frankly I don't think it will matter as it is all but a done deal.

The State of Illinois is getting ready to try and pass into law a "NEW" Services (State) Tax, which would affect Satellite & Cable Television Customers, as well as possibly other Services, ie; ADT, SiriusXM Radio, Etc..

The State of Illinois has NEVER had a Services (State) Tax and/or a (State) Tax that would affect Satellite and Cable Television. However, local governments did tax ONLY Cable Television Provider, not the State of Illinois which is now being proposed and pushed by guess? Cable Television Providers.

UPDATE: The Illinois Senate passed the 5% State Tax on Satellite Television, but the Illinois House defeated this proposal. Now we'll see what occurs?

Senate passes 5 percent tax on satellite TV to help schools - Chicago Sun-Times

CORRECTION: UPDATE2: The Illinois Senate passed the 5% State Tax on Satellite Television, but the Illinois House votes on this proposal on June 7, 2012. It was/has NOT defeated by the Illinois House as I first reported.

I emailed my Illinois State Rep and State Senator when this first popped up, and today I actually got a direct email from my Rep (Keith Sommer) stating:

"Chris-

I do not support this and will vote "NO" if brought before the House!

Keith"

I emailed my Illinois State Rep and State Senator when this first popped up, and today I actually got a direct email from my Rep (Keith Sommer) stating:

"Chris-

I do not support this and will vote "NO" if brought before the House!

Keith"

Hope more of them do so there should be no tax on satellite :) Damn cable companies doing this to satellite companies

Do tax increases or new taxes ever fail in Illinois?

never Illinoise love taxes just like Californiading they and instead of cutting spending they raise taxes to keep spending:rolleyes: :D lol :)

Last edited:
Just wait as someone will try to figure out a way to tax the dishes also regardless of your service you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts