Personal Computer Game News

Personally I think this is all just part of their efforts to bolster sales of the PC version of the game. They'll never adopt this on console because the full package sells so well, whereas on PC CoD is not so popular. This along with their promise for custom maps/mod support shows that they're really trying to appeal to this customer base.

Street Fighter 5 was released on PC with some rather bizarre design decisions, most specifically the fact that it has no native DirectInput support, which essentially means that ONLY Xbox 360/One controllers work with the game, and PS4 controllers and Fighting sticks don't work unless you get a 3rd party app to translate the input into something the game supports. Oh, and of course the servers didn't work because why would they?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310950/?snr=1_5_1100__1100 ("Mixed" reviews to say the least)

Total Biscuit Port Report (Apparently a GTX 960 is the minimum to keep the game looking good.)

Very weird. It seemed like controller support was a pretty standard thing on PC these days.

According to the Giant Bombcast this week the servers have been a nightmare on both the PC and PS4 versions. It also sounds like there is almost nothing to do unless you like playing online against strangers or have a friend on the same couch as you.

Personally I think this is all just part of their efforts to bolster sales of the PC version of the game. They'll never adopt this on console because the full package sells so well, whereas on PC CoD is not so popular. This along with their promise for custom maps/mod support shows that they're really trying to appeal to this customer base.

I think it will probably help in that regard. Hell, I considered buying it for a second even though I have people to play with on PS4 just to see what it was like.

Very weird. It seemed like controller support was a pretty standard thing on PC these days.

According to the Giant Bombcast this week the servers have been a nightmare on both the PC and PS4 versions. It also sounds like there is almost nothing to do unless you like playing online against strangers or have a friend on the same couch as you.
That's another big complaint. SF V is another one of those "Games as a service" system where they release more stuff over time. There's no story mode or anything currently, and the character roster is quite low. Yeah this stuff will be added later, but I'm just sick and tired of game companies offering bare bones experiences at launch (and clearly so are the consumers.) Still, it's not like it wasn't known that it would come out with minimal features, so the people who decided to buy on Day 1 can't really complain. But the input issue is just inexcusable. They HAD to know that would piss people off. Most hardcore fighting gamers HATE the Xbox Controllers so just bringing that out at launch was dumb.

You know, I was secretly hoping that 2015 was the year of #F*cKonami and that it wouldn't continue doing stuff that would make me and others say that in 2016, but this new decision they made is so bad that I'm starting to think that they're really trying to just troll all gamers, or at least in this case Japanese PC Gamers (all 100 of them).

So in case you didn't know, Metal Gear Solid V has microtransactions for no good reason other than Konami wants even MORE money from people. Well, a few days ago Konami told all the Japanese PC gamers that now all microtransactions will expire after 6 months, regardless of whether they were free/gifted or purchased. Really? An EXPIRING microtransaction? I mean that's just a whole new level of stupidity IMO.

(Fast Forward to 7:38 if it doesn't queue up properly, unless you want to watch the rest as well.)

http://www.pcgamesn.com/metal-gear-...on-expiry-date-to-metal-gear-solid-5-in-japan

The HTC Vive (which is also worked on with Valve) is now available for pre-order. FYI, part of the reason the Vive is more than the Oculus Rift is because the Vive comes with controllers, while with OR they're sold separately.

http://store.steampowered.com/vive/

In addition to the special controllers the Vive also comes additional hardware that can track your movement through a room. The Oculus only tracks head movement but with Vive you can physically walk around the room and have that reflected in the game. Apparently they are able to warn you before you hit walls but it seems pretty dangerous to have people walking around without being able to see the real world around them, especially with the cords attached to these headsets.

The Vive has a built in camera that could be used for AR too. Even though the Vive costs an extra $200 I still think you are getting more for your money than you are with the Oculus Rift.

In addition to the special controllers the Vive also comes additional hardware that can track your movement through a room. The Oculus only tracks head movement but with Vive you can physically walk around the room and have that reflected in the game. Apparently they are able to warn you before you hit walls but it seems pretty dangerous to have people walking around without being able to see the real world around them, especially with the cords attached to these headsets.

The Vive has a built in camera that could be used for AR too. Even though the Vive costs an extra $200 I still think you are getting more for your money than you are with the Oculus Rift.
That's what the camera is for in part, to bleed in your surroundings when you get close to the edges of the area, or to allow your to see your hands or your chair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are a couple bits of PC related news from Microsoft today. First, Gears Ultimate Edition is now available on Windows 10 for $30 through the Windows Store.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-out-now-on-pc/1100-6435218/

Aparently it's not worth buying right now if you have an AMD GPU though.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...-disaster-for-amd-radeon-gamers/#7bdbb8c37e7e

Second, there is a free-to-play version of Forza 6 coming to Windows 10 sometime this spring.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/01/forza-motorsport-6-apex-announced-free-to-play-on-pc

Jeeze Microsoft, way to go on the marketing side. Also, they really need to get their heads out of their asses as far as Windows Store PC Games go. The fact that they have v-sync limits as well as no Crossfire/SLI support is just unacceptable in this day and age and is not a way to endear yourself towards your audience. And this latest AMD fiasco is just another instance of "Release broken game, then patch later." There's NO WAY that QA didn't catch this awful performance, and rather than wait and try to fix it or at least wait until an acceptable driver is released, just throw it out there so only 1 group of people (Nvidia) get decent performance. Also, I'm pretty sure that there's no refunds on Windows Store, and in this environment that's just not acceptable. Steam, GoG (sorta), and even Origin have gotten with the times and offered refunds. Cross Buy isn't going to be a major selling point for Microsoft if you're getting equally sub-par performance on the Xbox One as well as PC with the games. At least when PSN does it the games are so non-taxing that it's no problem for PS4 and Vita to offer the same experience.

Jeeze Microsoft, way to go on the marketing side. Also, they really need to get their heads out of their asses as far as Windows Store PC Games go. The fact that they have v-sync limits as well as no Crossfire/SLI support is just unacceptable in this day and age and is not a way to endear yourself towards your audience. And this latest AMD fiasco is just another instance of "Release broken game, then patch later." There's NO WAY that QA didn't catch this awful performance, and rather than wait and try to fix it or at least wait until an acceptable driver is released, just throw it out there so only 1 group of people (Nvidia) get decent performance. Also, I'm pretty sure that there's no refunds on Windows Store, and in this environment that's just not acceptable. Steam, GoG (sorta), and even Origin have gotten with the times and offered refunds. Cross Buy isn't going to be a major selling point for Microsoft if you're getting equally sub-par performance on the Xbox One as well as PC with the games. At least when PSN does it the games are so non-taxing that it's no problem for PS4 and Vita to offer the same experience.

It sounds like the game runs well on Nvidia cards and it's really the first major DirectX 12 release. That alone makes it interesting. Gamers have been upgrading to Windows 10 since this summer for DirectX 12 support and there hasn't really been anything that makes that necessary until recently.

I'm sure there will be people who buy this game just to see DirectX 12 in action. Unfortunately if they don't have an Nvidia GPU it sounds like they are going to have a bad experience.

I feel alright with my decision to cancel my pre-order. That being said Guru3D's benchmarks show that I would have gotten over 60 FPS at 1080p with the very high detail setting on a single 970. That would have been good enough for me to just play the game without worrying about performance.

index.php

Their SLI 980 benchmark clashes with Total Biscuit's video. He says that SLI performance is worse than a single card but their benchmark shows SLI 980s getting 35 more FPS at 1440p than a single 980. That is actually pretty great SLI scaling. I'm confident that with my SLI 970s and the right mix of settings I could play at 1440p and stay above 60 FPS.

index.php

I should point out that Guru3D says there wasn't much improvement with SLI and Crossfire at 1080p. They are claiming that this is due to a CPU bottleneck and their claim totally makes sense.

The reason it makes sense is because bumping up the resolution doesn't typically require more CPU power. In other words the CPU demands are similar at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. However, bumping up the resolution creates a massive difference in the amount of GPU power demanded.

If the CPU is limiting performance at 1080p, it makes sense that adding more GPU power won't increase your framerate. If you go to a higher resolution the GPU becomes the limiting factor instead of the CPU. In this situation increasing the GPU power with SLI or Crossfire makes a massive difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)