Personal Computer Game News

I know a lot of people turned on Doom after the multiplayer beta but I'm still looking forward to it. I had never played the old Doom games so I don't have the same frame of reference as many of the people who were disappointed with it but I had fun with the beta even if I probably won't play a ton of Doom multiplayer in the full release. Most of that multiplayer time will go towards other games like Overwatch, Rocket League, and Heroes of the Storm.

I think the single player campaign looks cool and the early campaign footage was what got me interested in the game in the first place. As long as the single player campaign turns out okay I will be happy with Doom.

I know a lot of people turned on Doom after the multiplayer beta but I'm still looking forward to it. I had never played the old Doom games so I don't have the same frame of reference as many of the people who were disappointed with it but I had fun with the beta even if I probably won't play a ton of Doom multiplayer in the full release. Most of that multiplayer time will go towards other games like Overwatch, Rocket League, and Heroes of the Storm.

I think the single player campaign looks cool and the early campaign footage was what got me interested in the game in the first place. As long as the single player campaign turns out okay I will be happy with Doom.
Well here's a few reference points for Doom multiplayer and what fans were expecting (at least what I was expecting):

And here's some Quake 3 (made by the same guys):

As you can see, the old styles were MUCH faster and more intense and you could have multiple weapons at any given time. Now think back to how Doom 4's multiplayer turned out with weapon rollouts and a slower (still fast, but admittedly slower) gameplay style. Oh, and it also bites my butt a bit knowing that Doom 4 doesn't have a co-op campaign even though 1 and 2 did (meaning we can't play through together.) I mean I'm still anxiously optimistic about Doom 4's single player campaign, but it just stinks that given how cool the trailers looked to see the mode itself so augmented and "modernized" when no one was asking for that.

Yeah, and I'm definitely not sold to the point of pre-ordering. I will be waiting for reviews and a discount before I go for it.

Well seeing as I don't anticipate playing MP I just put it in my GF queue and it shipped out today, so I'll have Uncharted 4 and Doom 4 to play with. One is about a guy ruthlessly killing enemies indiscriminately with various weapons and finishing techniques, and the other is Doom 4. ;-)

Apparently Overwatch is in very high demand, even on PC... DIGITAL..

GO7onH3.png

Apparently Overwatch is in very high demand, even on PC... DIGITAL..

GO7onH3.png

Wow! I've never seen a queue to buy a digital game before. There are often issues with trying to play an online game at launch but never problems trying to buy one.

Surprisingly, when I played the game last night around 9:45ET there were absolutely no server problems. I had no problems connecting to the game, matchmaking wait times were non-existant, there was no lag, and I didn't experience any disconnects.

I know this is Blizzard but I still expected there to be some server issues since no one else can seem to launch an online game without them. I can't speak to the very second it went live but by the time I was able to play everything was smooth. Maybe the idea to launch the game a day early paid off. It probably spread the launch demand out a bit because most people weren't expecting the game to go live until today.

Yeah I think I'll hold off for the EVGA edition...

Yeah, the Founders Edition is basically an early adopters tax. I don't think it makes sense to buy those when EVGA and other board makers will be selling factory overclocked models that are not only quite a bit faster, they are typically quieter and run cooler than Nvidia's reference design. Oh yeah, some of them will be $100 cheaper too.

I have no complaints with my EVGA 970s. If I do end up pulling the trigger on an upgrade I would likely go with another EVGA model too.

Edit: Here you go. This is likely the model I would buy since I have the Superclocked ACX 2.0 version of the 970.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-acx3-gtx-1080-cooler,31909.html

Yeah no complaints about my 460 or 960. Hell I was pretty happy with my performance on Overwatch with it. Had Ultra settings (2nd highest) and had ~80 FPS.

So this is an interesting development. GoG has launched a new service called GoG Connect. What it is is that if you own a game on Steam, and GoG also has it and has a deal with a publisher, you can also get a DRM free version of the game courtesy of GoG. They will be limited time offers

https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_connect

They're also have a sale on a bunch of the games currently eligible (note, not ALL of them are eligible.)

https://www.gog.com/promo/20160601_special_promo_gog_connect

The biggest deal I see is Unreal 2004 Editors Choice Edition. Seriously, BUY THIS GAME. It's $2.49 and it's one of the best FPS games ever made.

https://www.gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_2004_ece

Lest anyone think that AMD was going to take Nvidia's throwdown and not respond. They've announced the Radeon RX 480, a high end graphics card that be roughly on par with the GTX 980. However, unlike the 980, the price will be $200.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077...ll-bring-high-end-graphics-to-the-masses.html

Official release here:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-polaris

I hope AMD does great even if I probably won't buy another AMD card. Them doing well and lowering price is good for Nvidia users too. A big part of the reason that the Nvidia 900 series cards were cheaper than previous generations was because of AMD's price point. The reason I probably won't buy another AMD card is because there are constantly articles talking about how new PC games are broken for AMD users. AMD has a lot less money than Nvidia and they often take 2-4 weeks to get a driver out to fix problems with a major release

The problem AMD is going to have with this 480 is that Nvidia isn't done rolling out their new GPUs. There is still a 1060 and a 1060 Ti coming out later this year. The 1060 will probably come in near the $200 price point just like the 960 did. It will directly compete with the 480 just like the 960 did with the 380. If AMD ends up being slightly stronger it would be a good thing for Nvidia 1000 series pricing.

Yeah all the issues with AMD cards with games is why I avoid them as well, which is sad because they are typically cheaper and still deliver good performance. But until they can fix their driver issues, it will forever remain a thorn in their side.

So this is an interesting development. GoG has launched a new service called GoG Connect. What it is is that if you own a game on Steam, and GoG also has it and has a deal with a publisher, you can also get a DRM free version of the game courtesy of GoG. They will be limited time offers

https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_connect

They're also have a sale on a bunch of the games currently eligible (note, not ALL of them are eligible.)

https://www.gog.com/promo/20160601_special_promo_gog_connect

The biggest deal I see is Unreal 2004 Editors Choice Edition. Seriously, BUY THIS GAME. It's $2.49 and it's one of the best FPS games ever made.

https://www.gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_2004_ece

This is really cool but I'm not sure why Steam is allowing GOG to sign into Steam accounts. They are letting people shift their library over to a direct competitor. From GOG's perspective it's great because they are getting people to use their service more and maybe those people will start buying their games from GOG in the future. I'm just not sure what Steam gains from this.

Edit: It's not working for me right now. I'm getting an error saying that they cannot reach the Steam service. They must be getting slammed right now. Either that or Steam found out what they were doing and decided to block it.

This is really cool but I'm not sure why Steam is allowing GOG to sign into Steam accounts. They are letting people shift their library over to a direct competitor. From GOG's perspective it's great because they are getting people to use their service more and maybe those people will start buying their games from GOG in the future. I'm just not sure what Steam gains from this.

Edit: It's not working for me right now. I'm getting an error saying that they cannot reach the Steam service. They must be getting slammed right now. Either that or Steam found out what they were doing and decided to block it.

Well I have to imagine that GoG struck some sort of agreement with Steam. I don't think you could launch something like this and just "hope" that Steam doesn't complain or block it.

Well I have to imagine that GoG struck some sort of agreement with Steam. I don't think you could launch something like this and just "hope" that Steam doesn't complain or block it.

I would think you are right but you never know. I did a little research and apparently Steam has a publicly available API that lets outside websites allow people to log into their Steam accounts without actually giving those outside websites the log in information. That was what Humble Bundle was doing when they used to tie games directly to your account without showing you the actual key. There are Rocket League stats websites that do the same thing.

Apparently GOG is just using this same API. I'm not sure they would have had to get Steam's permission first in order to do that. Since they were signing deals with publishers who are selling on both platforms it makes sense that they would have but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they didn't.

Edit: That being said, I was finally able to get it to connect. It found 10 available games but when I clicked the add 10 games button I got a "something went wrong" error.

Edit 2: Even though I got an error message it looks like the 10 games I owned on Steam are showing up in my GOG library now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)