Phlat's Birdview #2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice Score Phlatwound!

Glad no broken hardware and cleanup is going well. It looks awesome! I finally got around to mounting the lnb and encoder on mine today, If the encoder circuit I built works as hoped with the gbox, I'll let you know. It mounts in place of the original 10 turn pot, no mechanical mod required.

Nice Score Phlatwound!

Glad no broken hardware and cleanup is going well. It looks awesome! I finally got around to mounting the lnb and encoder on mine today, If the encoder circuit I built works as hoped with the gbox, I'll let you know. It mounts in place of the original 10 turn pot, no mechanical mod required.

Thanks Cadsulfide, hope the encoder works out and you are posting pics of your successful effort soon! :)

Let's see now... I researched this motor question a while back.
You might look through previous posts, but as best I recall...
The 110 gearbox had a faster motor, which pulled more power.
So, I think the speed would be about the same as the 72:1
Yea, I'm sure I posted... go have a look... made a table comparing all three.
But not my thread... maybe in Stogies or Linuxmans threads...??

But as Stogie said, everyone seems quite happy withe the zippy performance of the 37:1, so no points off for using it.

Anole, I was unable to find your table with a little searching but I'll probably run across it, I'll be checking out the Birdy threads a lot as I work on this project.

Feel free to quote all my info from the above thread, and show your new info alongside.
Should make for all the better working knowledge of the motors.
Plus, it'll keep all the latest relevant knowledge in a newer thread (this one). - :)

Oh, and I overlooked your comment above about the castings!
Good work, and thanks.
You confirmed what we were guessing! - :up
Some old ones were sand-cast iron, and the new ones are die-cast aluminum.

You should probably read the posts above and below this one:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/160205-building-h2h-mount-2.html#post1671298
But I suspect this is the thread I was thinking of.

edit:
read all of page two of that thread..

Real good on the info Anole, big help.
But what about a Birdview motor that is 167 to 1??

been hunting down birdview motors for my latest project (ChannelView), an forgot about this motor that I put on a home built bead roller, for doing tin work on drag cars.

Attachments

• Satellite 031.JPG
    Satellite 031.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Satellite 030.JPG
    Satellite 030.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Satellite 051.JPG
    Satellite 051.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 188
mystery of history:

I was just compiling the info that'd been posted to date.
No one had ever reported a 167:1, I guess.

Von Weise made motors for lots of projects, not just BUDs, and not just Birdview.
So, unless you personally took that motor off a Birdview, I'd have to wonder if it may have been used elsewhere.

Of course, the Birdview company did make may changes over the years.
The 10 foot dish is very rare, and we don't have sufficient info on it.
For all I know, it may have shipped with a 167:1 motor. - :confused:

This motor came from a Birdview dish what size or when it was pulled do not know. because when I built the bead roller was back around 1994 when I had a bunch of these motors in stock, now it is getting slim pickens.

I even have another H to H mount that has a Von weise motor on it, an that came off a 12-foot Cosmo, an the motor is to the T of what Stogie has on his Para Clispe dish, but instead of a gear to drive a chain it has a worm to run a 1/2 moon gear that bolts to their mount.

an yes I know that Von Weise made a lot of different motors an gear motors not only for different satellite people but also for other industry's too. I have even seen a Von Weise motor that is in hospital beds.

but it did come from BirdView, I know for a fact.

Here's some close shots of my 3 motor info labels:

Attachments

• Sat BV 37-1 Motor.JPG
    Sat BV 37-1 Motor.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Sat BV 70-1 Motor.JPG
    Sat BV 70-1 Motor.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Sat BV 110-1 Motor.JPG
    Sat BV 110-1 Motor.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 164
2 BV poles and one 2-3/8" are now plumbed and poured, and I set the 70:1 mount on the short BV pole tonight.

Attachments

• Sat New BV Poles3.JPG
    Sat New BV Poles3.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 164
Platwound here are some pictures of a Birdview gear drive set up an how to take some play out of it's 2 gears how they mess together, if you need to do it, but remember that some play is needed. now on 1 of my mounts here it had so much play in it you could move the edge of the dish about a 1 1/2" or more, after I tighten it up when reinstalling it now only about 1/4" at the edge of the dish.

now you need to have it all dismantled, before trying any thing like this. remove the gear drive 1/2 moon an (7 5/16" carriage bolts) worm bracket from it's plate that bolts to the reflector, this has to remove due to lining it back up with the bushing in that plate. an mark it before taking it apart. after removing the 1/2 moon gear (just slides out no need to remove the worm), this needs to be done with a clean gear an worm no grease on it clean, only need to move the cam 1, 2, or 3 teeth from you're mark, an then check you're play. you may of made more play if so go in the other direction.

now if you think that you got it set perfect, test run it by hand an see if their is any binding or exsive slope from 1 end of the ark to the other. I do this with a socket that has a notch cut in it an a battery drill with the clutch set very light in the drill just enough to run the worm with out it slipping.

1st picture is of the gear drive removed from it's mounting plate, an marked a line for reverence.
2nd picture (not the best pict) small side of cam.
3rd picture measurement of large side of cam
4th picture lokking down at the cam, if you look at closely you can see that it is not round but a cam for adding or removing play in the gears.

Attachments

• Satellite 027.JPG
    Satellite 027.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
  • Satellite 026.JPG
    Satellite 026.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Satellite 025.JPG
    Satellite 025.JPG
    782.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Satellite 022.JPG
    Satellite 022.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 175
A few things- I feel very lucky to be a Birdview solid owner - especially getting it free and it being a block away from my house. The thing is strong, fast and I use it more than any other dish I've had. When I had the BSC 621-2 on it, I got C and Ku. Since I put the C-only lnb on there ( and clamped a linear Ku lnb on the side) I get about the same.

Great dish. I have the 37-1 gearing. It is faaast. I did the 24 magnet reed sensor modification and it is accurate.

I did recently notice some play between the coupler and the worm gear. I did two things on that. I slipped a 3/8 inch long piece of 1/4 aluminum tube over the pin. There was still a little play so I put silicone seal around it (between the pin and the coupler), on the theory that it would still need a little flex. That was two months ago. Works fine.

Still hard for me to believe I scored one of these beauties. Then to have the good timing to right away see linuxman's thread on magnet/reed sensor modification - well that was a lucky bonus.

Anyway, it's good to be in the "Club" . And I do think some of these guys with a wealth of riches (more than one Birdview dish) should think about adopting them out to new homes where they would be appreciated.

Platwound here are some pictures of a Birdview gear drive set up an how to take some play out of it's 2 gears....

Thanks for those pics and instructions, Captain.

The mount I am getting ready to play with first (70:1) feels pretty tight with no dish on it, but it may show some slop when loaded.

This weekend I am hoping to get some time to play with the 70:1 mount with the 8-magnet conversion kit, and have some questions:

1.) I have two unmarked white wires coming off the reed sensor, these 2 wires are connected to an orange and a green wire (the brown wire in the pic is unused).

My guess is that one is pulse and one is ground, is that correct and does it matter which is hooked to which? I will be hooking this to a G-box for my initial experiments.

2.) Is there a trick to running the mount to the apex (center)? I thought I could just put my angle finder on it and run it back and forth till I got the highest reading.

Attachments

• Sat BV 8 magnet reed sensor.JPG
    Sat BV 8 magnet reed sensor.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 166
  • Sat BV Control wiring.JPG
    Sat BV Control wiring.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Sat BV Control wiring2.JPG
    Sat BV Control wiring2.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 171
This weekend I am hoping to get some time to play with the 70:1 mount with the 8-magnet conversion kit, and have some questions:

1.) I have two unmarked white wires coming off the reed sensor, these 2 wires are connected to an orange and a green wire (the brown wire in the pic is unused).

My guess is that one is pulse and one is ground, is that correct and does it matter which is hooked to which? I will be hooking this to a G-box for my initial experiments.

Nope, does not matter. I have mine hooked up both ways with either wire in the past and it does not matter a whit.Just make sure you use your two heaviest wires for power for the motor.

2.) Is there a trick to running the mount to the apex (center)? I thought I could just put my angle finder on it and run it back and forth till I got the highest reading.

I used the Mk-1 Eyeball. Close enough. :D

Nope, does not matter. I have mine hooked up both ways with either wire in the past and it does not matter a whit.Just make sure you use your two heaviest wires for power for the motor.

I used the Mk-1 Eyeball. Close enough. :D

Thanks for the wisdom, Super-K! :D

I'm going to hook up the G-box and see how many counts I get with the 8 mag wheel just for heck of it.

Is there any way to set travel limits with the BV hardware, or can they be controlled with software-only?

Thanks for the wisdom, Super-K! :D

I'm going to hook up the G-box and see how many counts I get with the 8 mag wheel just for heck of it.

Is there any way to set travel limits with the BV hardware, or can they be controlled with software-only?

Far as I know its a wing and a prayer. Make sure you set the limits on the gbox and you should be fine. I can guarantee you it will go a long ways from horizon to horizon though....for me is from trees to trees....LOL

Far as I know its a wing and a prayer. Make sure you set the limits on the gbox and you should be fine. I can guarantee you it will go a long ways from horizon to horizon though....for me is from trees to trees....LOL

Cool, that's what I will do on the limits.

Yes, my mount is a T-to-T (tree-to-tree) also. :D

I *think* I'll be able to see 72W-137W after I do some lumberjacking. :cool:

Cool, that's what I will do on the limits.

Yes, my mount is a T-to-T (tree-to-tree) also. :D

I *think* I'll be able to see 72W-137W after I do some lumberjacking. :cool:

Mine will go from 139 to 43, and still has some room on each end, if I had more LOS. So you will be fine.

I wish I could cut some trees to my east, I bet I could see 20w if I could just cut down a couple trees....LOL...so I know what ya going through....:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)