Phone line/ethernet cable requirements???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, We are moving soon to a new home that is being built right now. We have not yet decided whether to get a conventional "land line" phone at this new home. We have such in our existing home and have phone lines hooked up to each of our three HD-DVR's. What are the requirements for Directv boxes, specifically HD-DVR's (we currently have two HR-20's and one HR-24 as far as having either phone lines or internet connection to each box??? Is it required or just desired if you want certain functions and if the latter, what are those certain functions??? I've never quite understood that. And if an internet connection is part of the deal, do they offer boxes that have wireless network connectivity???

Input??? And perhaps can someone point me to a good Directv article on how current DVR's should be hooked up, especially with respect to phone and/or internet connections???

thanks.. bob...

You don't need phone lines, unless you want caller ID. Internet connectivity gives you On Demand programming.
You should look at DirecTV's Movers Connection. You will probably get a Genie upgrade, plus Genie mini-clients; suggest you keep at least one of your DVRs (the HR24...) which will be part of the whole home network. you may want to keep more of your DVRs, it depends on how many rooms you are going to equip with DirecTV, and what are your watching/recording patterns. . The Genie will be installed with wireless network connectivity (which will connect all the boxes thru whole home) - if it's an HR44, wireless is built in. If it's an HR34, the installer will install a wireless connection kit.

I know at one time if you did not have Ethernet or a phone line hooked up then after a period of time you could no longer order PPV via remote. Not a big deal at all, just order it online. other than that, no need for phone line at all any more. If you want on demand then you need internet on them, which will handle the PPV ordering as well.

Yes, if you are going to order PPV through the remote you need EITHER phone or internet connection....

What I did at my house when we had it built, was 1 Ethernet and 1 coax at each tv location and in the main viewing area I did 2 coax, 1 Ethernet and 1 phone. We did wire for traditional phones but we don't have traditional phone service. I have VOIP hooked at the NID providing voip to each jack in the house.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts