Phone lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Teronzhul and Nifi,
Have you guy's tried a simple work around, such as talking to the sub and run a long phone cord to an existing jack when doing the initial set up ?

You only need it to phone home the first time, right ....
I think most sub would agree to this,if you told them about it first.
In reality, they no longer have to have a phone line to set up.

Jimbo

The problem is the fact the D* can ping the box anytime (most often in the first week or so) to see if a phone line is connected. If it doesn't respond, the tech/sub gets dinged for it.

Last edited:
What I don't agree with is this is now a requirement, and as already stated pay did not go up. Also you would not believe how many I install that have cell phones only.

What I don't agree with is this is now a requirement, and as already stated pay did not go up. Also you would not believe how many I install that have cell phones only.

I have way more cell phone only customers than the 10% D* says is the national average (we have a large migrant farm worker population here). Also, about 30% of my customers absolutely refuse to let me run phone lines, or I'm using the home run lines and would have to drill through the walls with a 1/2" bit just to run a phone line. Not gonna happen.

Recently installed an R15 in our motorhome. The R15 never asked to be connected and there's no place in the setup menu to set one up. I'm going phoneless. My last receiver, the Sony A55 was in our motorhome for 6 months, un-connected to a phone and never charged for any extra fees.

Recently installed an R15 in our motorhome. The R15 never asked to be connected and there's no place in the setup menu to set one up. I'm going phoneless. My last receiver, the Sony A55 was in our motorhome for 6 months, un-connected to a phone and never charged for any extra fees.

The fees and charges, etc that these gentlemen and ladies are referring to are all about the tech/installers world; between them, their contract company and the DBS companies, not you/we the end users.

Give the cx only your phone number...rig the phones with splitters or whatever in a temp manner..........tell the cx you will return to remove the rat nest after you are paid.

also try to sell phone line installations where the cx would like them. Last year I make more on phone repairs than DTV installations. As DTV wants more for less (or free) I and many are just walking away.

Joe

After The Install, Call D* Customer Service And Have Them De Activate The Ippv (impulse Pay Per View) On The Recievers That Do Not Have A Phone Connection To Them. The Reciever Modem Will Not Dial Out To D*

The Recievers Will Work In A Vontage Environment. Iss Tech Support Needs To Slow Down The Modem For It To Work. Hardly Worth The Hassle After The Install. Customer Service Has No Problem De Activating Ippv If The Cust Has Vontage

Recently installed an R15 in our motorhome. The R15 never asked to be connected and there's no place in the setup menu to set one up.

The R15 does not need to be hooked up to a phone line to install/operate.

Just had an HR20 installed on Friday. Originally, the phone jack by the receiver was hooked up to my network. I switched it over to the phone system so the receiver could be set up properly. After the installer left, I pulled the plug on the phone system and set the HR20 up on my network. Will this cause him grief and is there anything I can do to prevent the grief? I don't need the phone line, have only one jack, and prefer it to be on my network.

Mikew,
Grief = $3.00 to $5.00 for the tech,maybe.

The point is that DTV states the phone connection is part of the installation to get the most enjoyment from the system. For example your caller ID on screen will not work without a phone line.

What gets me as an installer is that the installation companies ask their contractors to gurantee the performance of third parties (you). If you sold your car and the new owner got a speeding ticket would you pay it?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)