pics of the dish farm...post yours too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok the challenge questions for all you expert FTAers (in order of difficulty):

1. how many dishes?
2. how many lnbs?
3. size and make of each dish?
4. which satellite is each dish pointed at?
5. what channel is each dish currently decoding?

I don't know anything about 'em, but that's a beautiful sight !!!

bud1.jpg bud2.jpg

If you want a BUD to blend in, elevate it. I've lived in this town for 16 years, but until recently I had never noticed this dish.

I wouldn't think so... the only extra expense is the pole length and the eave bracing, which is negligible. Being supported by the structure, the pole doesn't have to be as deep and requires less concrete. Plus, less cable, no underground run (no conduit)... it has some advantages.
Just a pain to mount the dish and maintain it - and what a lightning rod!
BUT - as far as the lightning rod goes... my dad always had a 50' TV antenna mast for as long as I can remember - up 'til about 4 years ago when they moved to a new house (how I hated having to work on that thing.)
We used to pick up Texarkana stations from Marianna (clear across Arkansas!) And I only recall a lightning surge once that took out the rotor, amp & VCR (didn't get any TVs, amazingly)... it wasn't a direct hit - it nailed a tree about 30ft away.
Not impressive? We NEVER had any grounding on the thing.
No, I don't recommend it now - and no way I would try it at my home!

Up by our cabin a guy had a 10 footer on the roof of his house....then he reroofed the house and got rid of the dish :(

regarding above-roof mount

I wouldn't think so... the only extra expense is the pole length and the eave bracing, which is negligible. Being supported by the structure, the pole doesn't have to be as deep and requires less concrete. Plus, less cable, no underground run (no conduit)... it has some advantages.
Just a pain to mount the dish and maintain it -
You make a persuasive argument.
My first thought was "what a heck of a job to get the dish up that high, and what a bear to tune it!"
But it sure does give serious line of sight!

I'll give the matter more thought, but I'd been leaning toward ground mounting on a short pole or Non Penetrating Roof Mount (on the ground).
That would put the dish at chest height, with easy access from 360°
I guess it's like the little Ku dishes: put your first on the ground, and maybe your 2nd can be in a less hospitable place.
Yea, I'll stick to the ground for my first BUD.!. :cool:

You make a persuasive argument. My first thought was "what a heck of a job to get the dish up that high, and what a bear to tune it!" But it sure does give serious line of sight!

The terrain here is hilly, that's the reason that guy's BUD is mounted up high. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

the dish farm and lizard ranch

Been meaning to try posting some shots of my collection, I couldn't get a decent place to stand in the backyard to get all of them in one picture. It was 70 today, and lizards, anoles and ladybugs are everywhere! They'll split before tomorrow-cold front on the way, high Saturday 50degrees....here's a few pics, with a couple of unused dishes on the ground, waiting to be repainted.

Attachments

• watchnU.jpg
    watchnU.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 365
  • img5c.jpg
    img5c.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 368
  • img_0004D.jpg
    img_0004D.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 502
re: the dish farm and lizard ranch

Been meaning to try posting some shots of my collection, I couldn't get a decent place to stand in the backyard to get all of them in one picture. It was 70 today, and lizards, anoles and ladybugs are everywhere! They'll split before tomorrow-cold front on the way, high Saturday 50degrees....here's a few pics, with a couple of unused dishes on the ground, waiting to be repainted.

Very nice. So, have you been farming long?

I do that a lot, easier to work on the lnbs without that big plastic bucket screwed down,haha.
Cheap, and effective rain-cover (for about one month then disintegrates)

My Dish Farm

I just took these photos today. Dish Farm, Alaska style. The first photo is an 18" DirecTV dish pointed at 82. This is what a dish looks like that is only 1.3 degrees above the horizon. Next is a 48" on 110, and the 18" again. Then a 1 meter on 110, with a homemade mount. Next is 4 in one shot, including the BUD from hell. In another area, find the 6' Andersen with homemade mount, and a closeup of the mount.

Finally, the BUD from hell. 20 feet off the ground, 5 inch heavy duty well casing, necked down to 3 1/2 inch below the dish. Schedule 80 stuff, filled with concrete and with a massive concrete base. Freestanding. This may be the only Satellite antenna in America with a built-in Moose stand (service platform for the dish).

I am going to build a motorized polar mount for the Andersen, and get the BUD back on the air after several years sitting unused

Attachments

• S8008314.JPG
    S8008314.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 466
  • S8008313.JPG
    S8008313.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 393
  • S8008312.JPG
    S8008312.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 347
  • S8008311.JPG
    S8008311.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 385
  • S8008306.JPG
    S8008306.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 400
  • S8008304.JPG
    S8008304.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 385
  • S8008300.JPG
    S8008300.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 405
  • S8008298.JPG
    S8008298.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 406
  • S8008315.JPG
    S8008315.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 382
  • S8008319.JPG
    S8008319.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 411
  • S8008320.JPG
    S8008320.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 395
I like 'em. Glad I don't have a bud that high off the ground though! Very nice pics. Beautiful country. Couldn't get the Gov in any of those shots/lol.

its amazing seeing those dishes...they're pointed at the ground yet they still get a signal

the magic of a 22-25 degree offset :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New projects for the new year

How do I install a 40mm LNBF on a Prodelin 8 foot offset dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)