Pittsburgh-West (including Wheeling/Steubenville) Voomers

Scotty, WQED started having a problem 2 days ago. We will get it on VOOM when WQED fixes the problem.

WQED on 80-3 happened several months ago and it took WQED a few days to fix the PSIP. There isn't any -4 -5 -6 being transmitted right now. Not that those sub-channels are any use as they were blank screens anyway. Perhaps they are working on geting the sub channels up as their Special Temporary Authority is close to expiring and they will need to simulcast the OTA.

On my Zenith STB the WQED PSIP goes to 80-3 then when tuned to 80-3 the PSIP changes to 38-3. The VOOM box won't change the PSIP when tuned to 80-3 so we get a "no signal." In a few days the WQED PSIP should be fixed and we will get it on the VOOM STB. It's just "Murphy's Law" that WQED happened to have a problem when we got the new software :(

I think the reason 25 doesn't show up in the scan is because the PSIP is identical to the VOOM map, but 48, 50, and 51 show up in the scan because their PSIP is slightly different than the VOOM map. IE: 48 scans as WPXI and on the original VOOM map it was WPXIDT. When I scanned I lost the guide info for WPXI because the PSIP didn't exactly match WPXIDT on VOOM. After a few hours the guide info showed up.

Anyway this is what my map now looks like :)

25 2-1 KDKADT 98 (CBS)
32 7-1 WTRFDT 90 (CBS)
35 44-2 WOUC-DT 89 (PBS)
38 80-1 PBS1DTV 91 (PBS-HDTV)
42 22-1 WCWB-HD 94 (WB)
42 22-2 WCWB-SD 94
43 53-1 WPGH-HD 99 (FOX)
43 53-2 WPGH-SD 99
46 46-1 WNEO-D1 88 (PBS-HDTV)
46 46-2 WNEO-D2 88 (PBS)
48 11-1 WPXI 98 (NBC)

As expected these don't come in:
50 40-1 WPCB-DT 0
51 4-1 WTAE-DT 0

Sadly this channel doesn't come in because it lacks a Short Name :(

57-1 signal level 91 WTOV (NBC) Steubenville, OH they don't transmit a name, nor do they transmit a channel ID IE: 9-1
If you are getting 33 Morgantown signal jumping around just re-aim your antenna and you will get a nice green lock. I don't get WNPB on the antenna my VOOM STB is connected to, but I do receive it on the Zenith STB with the antenna for my bedroom.

I'm surprised you are able to get it. Anyway 33-1 is the main WVPBS OTA channel, 33-2 is PBS KIDS during the day and PBS YOU at night, and 33-3 is PBS YOU during the day and Annenburg/CPB Channel at night. It would be nice if you could get both WQED and WNPB as you will get PBS, PBS-HD, PBS You, PBS Kids, and Annenburg/CPB.

Hey, Loudonville66 were you able to scan in any Pittsburgh stations?

pittsburgh and the new software

You've quite a large number of channels in your digital lineup, bryan.

The forum zapped out the leading spaces in my post, or you would have seen two columns. Oh, well, guess the message got across anyway.

I'm afraid to move the antenna to get 33, because I might lose the others. But I guess I ought to get a ladder and get up in the attic and give it a try. With everything in the 90's signal strenght, I shouldn't lose them.

If I had an outside antenna, I might pick up some of the other ones you are getting. But our community doesn't allow them. I need to build my log home on 5 acres in the next 5 years so I can do what I want!

I hope QED clears the 80 up real soon like you say! I'm missing that PBS content.

Hear anything about UPN? titantv just keeps saying permit problem. I wish they would get on at least an sd digital. I have to switch to cable to watch UPN shows. I almost forgot there was a UPN channel this summer, while I've had voom.

I would say turn the antenna and see what happens. That's what I did to get WNEO and TitanTV has it as a station I should receive. With Pittsburgh so high it gave me a little play to get WNEO. It might be easier for you to get WNEO if you can't get WNPB as it is much closer. WNEO is located between Steubenville and Youngstown. The downside for you though is that it is in the opposite direction of the rest of the stations.

It has been so long since I have had WTAE that I have gotten used to not having ABC and other than the cooking and outdoor shows on WPCB I can live without it.

WOUC actually went on the air 2 days ago. Today the analog and digital are both off the air, so they must be working on something. I really don't care which PBS stations I receive as long as I can just receive PBS-HD and the regular PBS schedule. I do hope WQED gets fixed soon. It didn't take too long the last time it happened.

The FCC still hasn't approved UPN-19's channel move to ch.49. They were originally issued a channel that was too close to another channel. Once the FCC approves the ch.49 request WNPA will have 60 days to submit their application. Since this is so late in the game the FCC will probably approve it rather quickly. I'm going to guess next summer at the earliest we see it on the air. IMHO we will probably see WQEX on the air before WNPA :( The supposed hold up is Canadian approval of ch.49 for Pittsburgh, but they have had the request for 6 years now!!!

Hey Bryan , I'm picking up WEWS ABC Cleveland 5.1 , WPXI NBC , 11.1 WPGH FOX 53.1 & 2 WPBY PBS 33.1 , 2 & 3 KDKA CBS 2.1 at night , "Sometimes" WTRS 7.1 "no sound" WTOV 9.1 was on yesterday for a few hours , all I got was sound today. I'll Really be happy when all the stations go to full power. Do you have any idea when that might be ?

Hey Bryan
I picked up a Few stations

WEWS ABC 15 Cleveland 5.1 at night
KDKA 25 CBS 2.1 at night
WPXI 48 NBC 11.1
WPBY 33 PBS 33,1 , 2 & 3
WTRF 32 CBS no sound for now
WTOV 57 NBC 9.1 was on yesterday running a movie test , it was only broadcasting sound today. It Sure will be nice when all the stations start broadcasting full power .

Cool, Maybe turning the antenna a bit will get you KDKA all the time and WPGH. WPXI uses a little less power than KDKA and WPGH.

WTOV is having major problems. Parts of the transmitter fried. I haven't checked them today though. The long term plan for WTOV is to provide the regular channel and a 24/7 Ohio Valley Weather channel.

WQEX-DT ch.26 is now on the air. They aren't sending a channel name, so it won't scan in. They are sending a channel ID as 16-1. I receive it fine on my other STB. There aren't any problems with the transmission, although the programming may not be apealing.

What I find amaizing is that their power is only 50Kw and on Voom the signal is 88, and WTAE with 3 times the power doesn't make a blip.

Has anyone noticed some small break ups on KDKA? It happens on both my TVs which use different antennas.

I get a 94-95 signal str on the voom box with with 26, and I also dont get it to scan add.

I'm seeing channel 29 too, but at an inconsistent 81 or less signal strength, so it won't lock in. I wonder if I upgraded to an omnidirectional, if that would enable me to pick up some of these stations from other markets besides pittsburgh. I'm afraid to turn my stealth. I don't want to lose what I've got.

WQED is still broadcasting the national PBS 80-3 channel number in their psip. They said they might change the number back to 13-1 when they get their transmitter/psip generator back from the shop. It's been in the shop a long while now. Apparently the engineer has a buddy who has Voom, so they were trying to work it out so it would display on the Voom stb with no luck.

I don't mind the shopping on WQEX as much as I disliked the WQED simulcast. The contract is only for 3 years so perhaps in a few years something else will be on. It's one of those stations for noise when I'm doing something else.

CH. 29 is a LPTV station in analog and you won't get a scan. The Voom STB will show signal levels for analog. Try putting in 22 or 53 on the strength meter and you will see signal.

It would be kind of stupid for WQED to continued to stay at 80-3 if people can't tune to it. On my Zenith it will go to 80-3 and then it will change to 38-3. If the Voom STB accepted variable PIDs we would see it. Using 80-3 does mess up my Zenith STB and presents bugs in the STB's software. I wonder if the DirecTV and Dish Net receivers also can't scan it in as those receives also put the stations in a channel guide.

I'm wondering if the PSIP generator is really in the shop, or that it was used for WQEX and WQED is waiting on a new one. WQEX was out out of extensions of time to get the station on the air and earlier this month told the FCC the station would be on the air in 2 weeks.

bryan27 said:
I'm wondering if the PSIP generator is really in the shop, or that it was used for WQEX and WQED is waiting on a new one. WQEX was out out of extensions of time to get the station on the air and earlier this month told the FCC the station would be on the air in 2 weeks.

That's an interesting thought. Who can blame them though. Running on donations, FCC breathing down their necks, HD equipment costing big bucks, etc. I hope they can resolve it all soon. It would be nice to make the easy flip on the voom box, instead of switching inputs on my tv, and adjusting my set top antenna to get the signal each time (it comes in so weak on the set top that I have to adjust to get it). I really wish voom would write the firmware so the scan works as easily as other STB's, and screw this rain fade limit of 80-85. I get channels at 40 or less sometimes, on my rca's internal digital receiver. and fake the psip if you don't get what you want.

Well, WQED is off the air tonight. 38 has no signal strength at all, and I usually get in the 94-96. I hope it's because they are putting the transmitter with the psip generator back in. I rescan almost every night looking for a change from 80-3 back to 13-3 or 13-1. I hope its fixed and back on the air tomorrow so we can see if voom box will pick it up.

WQED came back a few days after my last post, but still at 80-3.

But in the last two days, abc (51 (4)) WTAE seems to have dropped of the air. Anyone else notice this?

Scotty,

I'm hoping to get WQED too - been waiting two months, still at 13-3, but no picture. I check every few days or so. Thanks for the updates on this. For me, PBS is the one channel I miss most.

Also, I don't get WTAE - I'm a little north of Pgh., so probably too far to get this station.

KDKA Down?

I lost KDKA - channel 2 - a couple days ago . No signal at all. Anyone else? I'm hoping it comes back on for football Sunday.

I lost it for a couple days too, no single strength at all. I think it's back on tonight.

I sure wish WQED would solve it's problem with Voom. How am I going to see the next pledge drive and send in my contribution if it doesn't show up in digital!

WQED PSIP finally correct but signal Strength low and still no picture

WQED is finally broadcasting the correct PSIP. I scanned 4 times today, and the 3rd time, I got the 4 WQED subchannels into my lineup at 13-1 thru 13-4. The scan at that point showed the signal strenght at 90+ on 13-1 and the 80's on the other 3. But when I went into check antenna pointing and entered 38, the rf signal strenght was only 77.

I checked 26, and it was 98, but it is not getting picked up by the channel scan.

I hope they get it resolved soon! I'm seriously missing my WQED digital. Cringley was even in the program guide with an HDTV how to show.

25 (KDKA) scans sometimes and doesn't others. I don't know what's up with this channel, but since it was originally mapped, I get it no matter what.

Maybe once the leaves fall, things will get better.

timjf said:
I lost KDKA - channel 2 - a couple days ago . No signal at all. Anyone else? I'm hoping it comes back on for football Sunday.

It's back on for pittsburgh football this weekend, but no Hi Def! :mad:

I'm now tuning in WQED - but the signal level is low, about 80. Picture comes and goes. Also, it's coming in on 13-2, but the PG is for 13-3. Strange. Maybe they're still trying to get this right.

I was disappointed too that the Steelers were in SD Sunday. I guess this is a CBS decision week by week which games get the HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)