Place for Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ElroyJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
St. Louis, MO
I am thinking of getting into the fta hobby. When I was a kid I liked to listen to shortwave and search for stations, so scanning the satellites sounds like fun. I hope I am not disapointed. I am not into sports or religion but do like news. My wife also speaks russian. I have researched a lot over the last two weeks and am ready to purchase a system. I am thinking of getting the Fortec Mercury 2 with 90cm dish, SG2100 motor and the QPH031 LNB.

My biggest problem and question is is it ok to put a 90cm dish on the roof. I have read many things that putting holes in the roof is not good but I already have 2 DN dishes (which I did not install) and they don't leak but they are not 90cm dishes either. What are your thoughts about the 90cm on the roof. There is really no where else to put the dish. I think my subdivision does not allow dishes in the yard.

I have attached some pictures of the roof also to show where it would go and to find out what you guys think as far as reception of the most satellites.

I am thinking of putting it at the top of the roof in the middle to the right of the HD antenna which is laying on its side (don't laugh it works). This way I would clear the other dishes and the chimney. The dish on the left is pointing at 61.5 and the other is 110 and 119. There are trees when going less than 61.5 and there is one tree that you can see in the picture in between 61.5 and 110. On the right side of the house there are trees also.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    563.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    658.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 141
To receive most of the satellites, you must have a somewhat clear view of the southern sky. If you own the house, you can put the dish anywhere. Putting it on a pole it not such a good ideal because it will wobble a lot in high wind. They make all sorts of mounts that don't need to go on the roof, such as an eave mount or mounting the dish on the side of the house or on a porch beam. They make mounts for chimneys too. There are some people that have mounted a dish on the roof, going through plywood,not on a stud, a good wind came by and took the dish and half the roof with it.

I don't like mounting on roofs due to leakage concerns but I have done it once. Make sure to seal all penitrations with tar or silicone and like Tim said make sure it is mounted into a rafter and not just the sheeting.

From the looks of where your current dishes are you should have a fine view of most of the sats. There is quite a bit of news channels and news feeds on FTA and there are some russian channels on Galaxy 25.

I think the setup you are thinking about sounds like a good choice and I hope you have fun with this hobby.:)

I don't like roof mounts either. Lazy DBS installers always do them though.

Is that a CM4228 laying down on your roof? Interesting concept of running electricity to a flood light ;)

Tim, I have my 90cm on a pole and it's rock solid for 2 years now. Wind has never been a factor.

If you get the right pole and install it correctly, you should have no issues with it. I prefer the pole mount as it is so much easier to work on than a roof :)

Needs to put that 4228 in the wind-thats the best tv antenna I ever bought.
Good choice for a system too, he'll like the merc.

Thanks for replying and keep them comming.

That is a CM4228 laying down. I have an 811 from DN and since it has a crappy tuner and my house is at the bottom of a hill or at least I always thought that was the reason due to mutipath not all the locals come in on the 811 when it was standing up. Some come in ok others the signal bounces around. I then built a home theater PC and got a Dvico USB antenna input device and amazingly all channels come in 100% and never drop with it up or down. There is definatelly a flaw in the 811 tuner.

Whats the best way to install on a pole. I would rather do that but do you need to drive the thing into the ground or use concrete. I also have to put it behind the house so it would have to clear the house and then I guess I would have to bury the wire I guess and I would have to make sure my subdivision would allow it. Of course no one would see it in the back. I think I would hit more trees towards 61.5 also. The roof is still looking like the best place for clear view and easy install, but keep the ideas coming and convince me.

Existing pole for your other dishes prob wouldn't be tall enough to let a 1m dish move all the way around without hitting the roof. The FCC rules say you can put up a dish up to, I think 33", and the HOA or subdivision can't legally make you remove it. (They can certainly harass you over it, so if possible put it in the backyard. They're not that big compared to some of these new Dishnetwork/directv dishes that hit multiple satellites)
I have 2 on poles I got from the building supply, chainlink fence post works fine for mine, but they aren't motorized right now. Put about 2' in the ground, and you should have enough clearance over your house if you don't put it right at the back door. These offset-dishes are looking a lot higher than the first glance makes you think. 2-3bags of quickrete and you should be fine, if you find the pole wobbles a bit when the motor works, brace it later.
Remember to brace the pole while it sets, it needs to be as close to perfectly plumb as you can get it.

The FCC rules say you can put up a dish up to, I think 33", and the HOA or subdivision can't legally make you remove it. (They can certainly harass you over it, so if possible put it in the backyard. They're not that big compared to some of these new Dishnetwork/directv dishes that hit multiple satellites)

The rule allows up to 39" :)

FCC said:
Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Well it looks like I am going to have to mount it on the roof.

The dish I am going to get is the FC90P that comes with the universal mount I.

I am thinking of using a retrodeck. Has any one ever used one of these? Is it worth it to use one? If I don't use one then I would put some 2x4s in my attic to help support the dish. If I use the retrodeck then I guess I also need the S style strut clips for the support arms.

Dish Mounting System - Commdeck - RSTC Enterprises

Dish Mounting System - Commdeck - RSTC Enterprises

Will the dish on the universal mount along with a motor clear the roof? The dish would be going on the back side of the roof facing towards the upward slope.

Depends on how far down the roof you put it, I would think. You might have to use a longer pole (the part on the mount I mean) to raise dish up enough for it to clear the roof. Would be sweet if it was on the ridge, and fastened on the same side, rather than looking over the ridgeline of the roof.
I'm sure it can be done either way though..that's a nice device for a roof-install though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts