Playing CD's

stevev11

Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I have my home theatre (46" LCD/Set Top Box/AV/Speakers/DVD, etc...) set up and everything seems to be working but when I want to play a CD on my DVD player I have to have the TV and the AV on. There is no picture since the set top box is off, but the power to the TV needs to be on. What could I have set up incorrectly?

Thanks

My DVD player (not blu-ray) I connected with 2 cables: HDMI to the TV and Optical audio out to my non-HDMI AV receiver. Watching a DVD the sound is good, but nothing from a CD unless the TV is powered up.

I connected this all myself w/o any manuals or other advice. Any suggestions for improvements not having to pay a professional?

That is weird. No reason a TV has to be powered up unless the DVD player will not work unless sending a video signa;. Does the DVD player actually play CDs. What brand is it? I know some only play DVD and no CD.

I will get the model # tonight. Its a Denon and yes it does play CD's, like I said if there is power to the TV.

I generally set up my own electronics, but am by no means considered an audiophile.

Thanks for your help.

Unplug the HDMI or check in set up to see what audio is set to. Check receiver make sure it set to decode both bitstream and PCM

Maybe the CD audio does not go out over the Optical. You might have to hook up the Red/White RCA wires from the DVD to the RCVR.
Check the output for CD's on your DVD player set up page. You might need to set that up also for digital out.