GEOSATpro Please Clarification of microHD and HDD (DVR) Useage

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Have microHD connected to HDD (DVR) via usb cable, have setup timer for one time programming with no problems, everything worked as it should, and was able to review the recorded program.

HDD is still connected to the microHD, and whenever the microHD is powered up the HDD also comes on, which I beleive that it is normal.

Now, here is my question. Do I need to turn the timeshift Off, on the DVR setup window after the recorded program ends, does it matter one way or another.

I just noticed that as I was wieving another program and checked it's status via the "Info" button, that it looked as if that program was being recorded into the HDD without me doing or activating anything, and could not stop it or cansel the function. Went to another channel and the same thing happened, the timer bar in the "Info" window started to count up.

Right now I have all the timers Off, on the timer setting window, and the timeshift On, on the DVR setup window.

Any recommendation or advice is greatly appreciated as to the normal procedure and status that the microHD should be after a recorded program ends.

Thank You.

Timeshift has nothing to do with DVR timer recording.

Timeshift ON function provides a constant recording of the rrent tuned channel anytime the receiver is powered ON. The USB drive will always be recording the currently tuned channel. This is an option that you enabled.

If Timeshift is turned to the default OFF, the current tuned channel is not automatically available for review or saving as a DVR recording. The USB drive will only spin up when DVR recording or media playback.

Brian,

I was just browsing in the MicroHD forum because I have been pondering ordering the micro in the near future, so I was just reading up when this thread captivated my curiosity.
I currently have several of the AZBox Premiums and a Premium Plus which all have Time Shift features. I tested this feature a few times when I first got these machines, but I personally never found a need to use them until I started dabbling with the wild feeds. But, even then, I always forgot to turn it on. I was usually doing something else (scanning and browsing) when something good popped on, and there I was, NO VIDEO EVIDENCE of the greatest or funniest things.

So my question, with the MicroHD and the Timeshift feature, if you have the option set to ON, how long does it record? I think that I understand that it KEEPS recording ALL the time, but how large of a file does it create? Is there a fixed time limit or a fixed file size limit? Or does it just keep recording more and more "files" of videos until the disc drive memory capacity runs out and....... Then what happens? Or does it write to one specific file with a maximum file size and treat all the data within as FIFO? Does the TS feature auto reset if you change channels?

You'll have to pardon me on this subject, but I just have NEVER heard or read anyone really discussing this feature in great detail for any STB. Not even for the paid subs. Obviously, I never found a huge requirement to determine how it worked on my AZBox, but since this thread opened the door, I thought I would just kick the door open a little further.

Thanks,

RADAR

Timeshift has nothing to do with DVR timer recording.

Timeshift ON function provides a constant recording of the rrent tuned channel anytime the receiver is powered ON. The USB drive will always be recording the currently tuned channel. This is an option that you enabled.

If Timeshift is turned to the default OFF, the current tuned channel is not automatically available for review or saving as a DVR recording. The USB drive will only spin up when DVR recording or media playback.

Thank You,

So if I do not want to have the active program/channel viewed from being recorded, turn Off the Timeshift function?.

It seems that those two programs which I noticed that were being recorded, each lasted about two minutes each....If they were actually recording for about that amount of time each, there were no indication/evidence of the recorded pieces of the programs in the microHD anywhere, in what part/section of the microHD would those two small recording be found. Still not quite clear on this.

Thank You.

Correct! If you don't wish to use the timeshift feature, return to the default OFF setting.

Timeshift files are not automatically saved and the Timeshift file is not visible with the microHD. If the drive is connected to a PC, the timeshift file is visible.

A Timeshift is a dedicated 2 hour duration looping file. The Timeshift recording initiates each time a channel is tuned and is available for review for the entirety of the time the channel is tuned up to the two hour limit.

You have the option to save the current time shift as a DVR recording by activating "Save Timeshift as DVR File". When the record key is pressed, an option appears to include the Timeshift as part of the DVR recording.

Nice! I never knew that it worked like that. I think I will enable that feature when I'm looking for wild feeds. Thanks for clarifying that Brian.

You have the option to save the current time shift as a DVR recording by activating "Save Timeshift as DVR File". When the record key is pressed, an option appears to include the Timeshift as part of the DVR recording.

Learn something NEW everyday.....On what page of the extended "microHD User Manual" would I find the "Save Timeshift as DVR file", so I can press the record key and be able to later review the show that is being presently recorded?.

Thank You.

This is a result of owning previous STBs where the manual (if you could find one that was translated right) was of little help at best. So reading through them wasn't much help.
Enter the micro. :')

Come on... Serious??? :rolleyes: LOL!!!!!

Page 67, Section 5.3

Sorry Brian,

I do appreciate your answer and response. I was not trying to be funny, I just somehow could not find the right section nor the right answer. I have just highlighted the appropriate area. I think that I am having a slight touch of "Oldtimers" LOL!!!. Getting too old is not a good thing.

Thanks again.

No other previous FTA receiver that I know of allowed saving of the timeshift file. The microHD, I believe, is the first to implement such a feature.

Back in the Visionsat days, you had to power off the receiver after the program you wanted to save was over (hopefully it wasn't longer than the timeshift duration), then connect the hard drive to a PC and copy the file before it got overwritten.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)