Poll: IPAD2 on sale day has come. What will you do?

Select one:

• I have no plans to buy a tablet of any kind at this time.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I already own one or more ipads

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I already own one or more Galaxy Tabs.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I already own one or more Motorola Xooms.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan to buy an ipad2

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I plan to buy the Galaxy Tab

• I plan to buy the Motorola Xoom

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I plan to buy but will wait for other options to be relased this year.

• I plan to buy but will wait for ipad3 next year.

• I have a tablet now and will replace with something different. Explain below.

• Total voters
Ok, Don, brace yourself for what follows... :)

I am in good graces with my boss these days, and did a lot of work for the dept's website last summer, so on a whim, I asked her for an ipad2. She agreed, but thought that I should buy it and have the dept reimburse it, so that it would truly be "mine." (Not sure what that means, if she is reimbursing, but anyways... ) I went to Best Buy and all they had was 1 64GB 3G AT&T Model. I wanted a wi-fi one; and in specific, a 32GB model. SO I went to Walmart, and they had 1 white 64GB wi-fi ipad2. A hundred more than I wanted to spend, but I knew that I was getting at least $500 in reimbursement, AND I had just sold $100 of books, so.... I bought it.

I then returned to Best Buy and bought a smart cover, and am now syncing it for the first time. It is going on about 25 minutes installing apps from the ipod touch. Dang sync process is quite slow. Didn't even have it sync music or video, just apps. Haven't played with it yet AT ALL, but looking forward to doing so. IN a few weeks I will write up a comparison review of the ipad 2 from the perspective of a GTab user. Still planning on keeping and using my GTab, but I am excited to see how the uses of the ipad2 plays out.

Being patient stinks, doesn't it?

It went through the whole process of trying to install 47 or more apps, but most of them would not install. Cancelled the sync, and was able to get it working. A lot I like, a few things I wish were different. Really like the contextual menu of Android. I miss that.

The SatGuys app looks nice .

Looke like the Verizon Retail Stores are Selling First-Generation Wi-Fi iPads for $299.99-$499.99.

Well, I'm shocked- Here I go and get an Android phone and a week later you go iOS. What surprises me is you would even consider it. Anyway, it's good you didn't waste your money on the CDMA version.

The first time I activated my ipad I had to install itunes first. But then the first time it took me about 3 hours to complete the process as it tried to load all my music and photos on my laptop to the ipad too. Since then I learned a little more about how itunes works and my sync process takes just a few minutes and when I recently upgraded to 4.3 iOS it took about 15 minutes as I recall because all the stuff was up to date. I sync my ipad about once a week now. Always be sure you update itunes for the latest version. If you didn't, you may have trouble. I was warned by many Apple heads about that. Some people told me I should have set up the ipad with my Macbook Pro but I rarely fire that up so later I installed itunes and do my syncing on my biggest PC, the one I do blu Ray authoring and HD editing with.

So, with ipad2 are you going to get GarageBand? I recall you play don't you?

Don Landis said:
Well, I'm shocked- Here I go and get an Android phone and a week later you go iOS. What surprises me is you would even consider it. Anyway, it's good you didn't waste your money on the CDMA version.

The first time I activated my ipad I had to install itunes first. But then the first time it took me about 3 hours to complete the process as it tried to load all my music and photos on my laptop to the ipad too. Since then I learned a little more about how itunes works and my sync process takes just a few minutes and when I recently upgraded to 4.3 iOS it took about 15 minutes as I recall because all the stuff was up to date. I sync my ipad about once a week now. Always be sure you update itunes for the latest version. If you didn't, you may have trouble. I was warned by many Apple heads about that. Some people told me I should have set up the ipad with my Macbook Pro but I rarely fire that up so later I installed itunes and do my syncing on my biggest PC, the one I do blu Ray authoring and HD editing with.

So, with ipad2 are you going to get GarageBand? I recall you play don't you?

Using it now. Jury is still out, but for productivity, ie reading PDFs and taking notes, I think this will be very useful. But I am keeping my tab, there is a lot that I prefer Android for. I already miss swype. The best thing is this was mostly free :D

Why is that?

Just the way the app is setup. The spacing of each forum, is larger, the refresh control is not hidden (although I found the way to drag the page and make it refresh).

what I am finding is that:

1) Android "phone" apps, all run perfectly full-screen on the GTab; but ipod touch/iphone apps are regular size, or magnified to 2X, and look crappy that way. I get that it is due to the much larger resolution, and I expect that on a Xoom there would be the same problem. But Froyo on a 7" screen provides a really user-friendly interface. You really need "ipad" apps for the ipad.

2) The ipad versions of things like the NYTimes and the BBC are MUCH better than the Android one; yet the Android Dropbox app (while it does not have a viewer) seems easier to use. Its a mix. The ABC News app on the ipad is pretty cool.

3) I REALLY do not like the ipad keyboard. That will be the hardest thing for me. I am addicted to swype, and not having it sucks.

I need to research jailbreaking, how to do it, what benefits I would get, etc.. I did switch to a different browser already. Can't even remember its name, but much more like Dolphin HD.

4) I really do like the fact that they got the device's weight down by 20%. Makes a huge difference.

So has anyone had any luck finding the IPad 2 in stores anywhere? Are Target and Best Buy getting any shipments in on a regular basis?

Uh yeah, I got one at Walmart today. But the one I bought was the LAST one they had. The local BB had 10 yesterday; they come in in spurts, here and there. Much easier to get outside of big cities I think.

The browser I switched to is Skyfire. It allows most Flash video to play.

The keyboard is OK but had to shut down the spell checker as it was causing too many mispelled words. .???

Swipe- I haven't used it on my TBolt. But, from the way you describbed it to me, i dont see it being practical on the ipad as the KB is big enough to type with both hands and all fingers. Swipe seems to be more appropriate on a small screen like a smartphone.

Rocky, I think you may have too many ipod apps and need to upgrade those that have ipad versions. Also, there are some ipad unique procedures one needs to learn that aren't intuitive to be more efficient. I got a book in my library that reviews how to tips and tricks. That really saved me some time figuring stuff out.

Ok, Don, brace yourself for what follows... :)

I am in good graces with my boss these days, and did a lot of work for the dept's website last summer, so on a whim, I asked her for an ipad2. She agreed, but thought that I should buy it and have the dept reimburse it, so that it would truly be "mine." (Not sure what that means, if she is reimbursing, but anyways... ) I went to Best Buy and all they had was 1 64GB 3G AT&T Model. I wanted a wi-fi one; and in specific, a 32GB model. SO I went to Walmart, and they had 1 white 64GB wi-fi ipad2. A hundred more than I wanted to spend, but I knew that I was getting at least $500 in reimbursement, AND I had just sold $100 of books, so.... I bought it.

I then returned to Best Buy and bought a smart cover, and am now syncing it for the first time. It is going on about 25 minutes installing apps from the ipod touch. Dang sync process is quite slow. Didn't even have it sync music or video, just apps. Haven't played with it yet AT ALL, but looking forward to doing so. IN a few weeks I will write up a comparison review of the ipad 2 from the perspective of a GTab user. Still planning on keeping and using my GTab, but I am excited to see how the uses of the ipad2 plays out.

What? Mike now has an iPad. Say it isn't so. :D

Actually this was a surprise for me since you are so happy with your Tab.

JAG72 said:
What? Mike now has an iPad. Say it isn't so. :D

Actually this was a surprise for me since you are so happy with your Tab.

Ha. I am happy with my tab, and writing this from it, but I wanted a ipad because of the ease of working with documents for school, and I wanted to try it out with for classroom apps. Plus, it was mostly free :D

I realized last night laying bed using the ipad, that the tab is easier to use for that type of usage. Hold the ipad in one hand gets tiring, and you can't 2 hand type, which is one of the things I love about swype. It weighs little, and swyping is very easy.

I decided I will use the tab for some things, and the ipad for others. :)

Don Landis said:
The browser I switched to is Skyfire. It allows most Flash video to play.

The keyboard is OK but had to shut down the spell checker as it was causing too many mispelled words. .???

Swipe- I haven't used it on my TBolt. But, from the way you describbed it to me, i dont see it being practical on the ipad as the KB is big enough to type with both hands and all fingers. Swipe seems to be more appropriate on a small screen like a smartphone.

Rocky, I think you may have too many ipod apps and need to upgrade those that have ipad versions. Also, there are some ipad unique procedures one needs to learn that aren't intuitive to be more efficient. I got a book in my library that reviews how to tips and tricks. That really saved me some time figuring stuff out.

Skyfire is what I am using, it is a lot like dolphin hd on android.

I just commented on swype, but think it really is very useful on the tab, you just need to experience it, getting over the initial learning curve.

I guess the scaling of apps from phone to tab is easier given the tabs resolution, and that is one reason why there is appeal to a seven inch device, but I see good uses for both tab & ipad. I'm a multi-tablet multi-tasker :)

I figured out that if the iPad is laying flat on a surface, two handed typing is pretty easy, but I am so used to holding a device. Lots to learn and adjust to. ;)

Yeah, I never hold the ipad the way you keep describing, like with a smartphone. The microfil cover for ipad or the magnetic one for ipad2 allows the pad to sit with the screen / keypad at an angle, like a regular keyboard. when I don't have a table I just sit the ipad on my legs like a laptop. sometimes I prop it way up using the cover to support it or low angle with just the bend to support it. Never flat. I always type two handed with the ipad but I want to learn swipeing on the android phone soon. I trust it will be faster and more accurate. So far the android keypad is very inaccurate. I miss the stylus of my TP2.

When I bought my 'Pad (1) I bought the BT keyboard at the same time. It's sweet! But I never use it! I quickly adapted to the on-screen keypad and haven't looked back. The wireless KB was part of my plan to use the 'Pad w/ my TV for armchair browsing and e-mail, but at this point that's still not possible. Maybe it will work when I get the HDMI adapter and upgrade to iOS4.3 ?? Time will tell.

The more you use that virtual keypad, the more you'll adapt to it...

TVersity Questions

Iphoto question on a Mac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)