Poll: What type of church do you attend?

What type of church do you attend?

• Fundamentalist (Bible Baptist, etc., etc.)

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • Seventh Day Adventist

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Catholic

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Evangelical

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Mainline Protestant (ie. United Methodist, Episcopal, United Church of Christ, etc.)

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • Mormon / Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I DON'T ATTEND CHURCH

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pure ignorance.. plain and simple

Let me guess what you meant. Because the poster rejects Mormonism as being part of Christianity that's ignorant? I don't think so.

If Mormans choose to believe they are Christians that's up to them. But it doesn't make them right.

Let me guess what you meant. Because the poster rejects Mormonism as being part of Christianity that's ignorant? I don't think so.

If Mormans choose to believe they are Christians that's up to them. But it doesn't make them right.
I don't think this debate belongs in this forum, so hopefully we can move on. I do not see how saying someone who accepts Christ as their savior and head of their church can be considered unChristian. But ignorance is found everywhere, so why should I be surprised.

If you have more to converse about considering my religion, feel free to message me instead of polluting the forums. I'd be happy to hear what you have to say. Heck, you may convince me that accepting Christ does not make me a Christian, and that I'd be more Christian by accepting a variety of similar/yet conflicting beliefs and accusing others of not being Christian.

Ditto.

I go to a Fundamentalist church, but I'm a Christian with Evangelical, Independant Baptist beliefs.

I don't think this debate belongs in this forum, so hopefully we can move on. I do not see how saying someone who accepts Christ as their savior and head of their church can be considered unChristian. But ignorance is found everywhere, so why should I be surprised.

If you have more to converse about considering my religion, feel free to message me instead of polluting the forums. I'd be happy to hear what you have to say. Heck, you may convince me that accepting Christ does not make me a Christian, and that I'd be more Christian by accepting a variety of similar/yet conflicting beliefs and accusing others of not being Christian.

Even Muslims accept Jesus as a prophet but that certainly does not mean they are in any way Christian. There is more to Christianity than you espouse. There have been plenty of cults to prove that point.

I have no desire to convert you to anything as you seem well enough informed to have made a decision for yourself. This is the US and you have a right to believe as you wish. On the same note the traditional Christian community also has every right to reject any such teachings as having any part to do with Christendom.

There are fundamental beliefs which define true Christianity. Beyond those there is plenty of leeway for lesser disagreements. And as you have so rightly said this thread is probably not the best place to engage in theological debates.

But what we are objecting to is your comment that someone is somehow "ignorant" for not blindly accepting certain other religions and conflicting beliefs into the fold of Christendom. To me, THAT is what is ignorant here.

Oh I'm soo sorry. We will pray for your deliverance brother. :D

Well, first I'm a woman, and second we are looking for an Independant Baptist church. Fundamentalists are changing as new preachers come out of seminaries with a belief that certain things old Fundamentalists call "Fundamental" really are not- clothing styles, versions, etc. I have little hope of finding a new Fundamental church, but it would be nice.

Scroll, I still think the original thought was based in ignorance. But I still like you all just the same :cool:

There are some very narrow viewpoints in this thread. It's rather shocking.

I have a feeling this thread will be closed soon - I already smell flame wars.

Well, first I'm a woman, and second we are looking for an Independant Baptist church. Fundamentalists are changing as new preachers come out of seminaries with a belief that certain things old Fundamentalists call "Fundamental" really are not- clothing styles, versions, etc. I have little hope of finding a new Fundamental church, but it would be nice.

Of course you know I has just poking a little lighthearted fun. I've actually been there done that to a point myself, especially while attending college.

I kinda had a feeling you were female. Even checked your profile to see if it said either way. But the razz seemed to work out better just picking a gender to make the point. ;)

I don't think the post of the poll was so we could attack each others choice of church :(

I was a bit saddened by the # who chose "I don't attend church". I pray they are not losing the only church they had with the demise of sky angel due to being shut in , disabled or without a vehicle.

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Hebrews 10:24-26;
Hebrews 10:24-26 (Contemporary English Version)
24 We should keep on encouraging each other to be thoughtful and to do helpful things. 25 Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord's coming is getting closer.

26 No sacrifices can be made for people who decide to sin after they find out about the truth.

Southern Baptist, attend regularly.

The poll choices really need to be restructured.
Southern Baptist can be either Evangelical or Mainline (after all, it is the largest non-Catholic denomination in the U.S., pure definition of Mainline).

Mormons & Jehovah Witnesses should not be lumped together.

Methodist as the second largest non-Catholic denomination should have it's own category, as with Southern Baptist (the largest). Not to mention Lutheran, which doesn't fit into any of the categories.

These are choices I would have poll listed as (listed in order of percentage of U.S. population membership):
Roman Catholic
Southern Baptist
Baptist (non-Southern)
United Methodist
Lutheran
Pentacost
Episcopal/Anglican
Jewish
Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS)/Mormon
Assemblies of God
Church of Christ
United Church of Christ (UCC)
Jehovah Witness
Seventh Day Adventist
Eastern Orthodox
Muslim
other

I don't think the post of the poll was so we could attack each others choice of church :(

I was a bit saddened by the # who chose "I don't attend church". I pray they are not losing the only church they had with the demise of sky angel due to being shut in , disabled or without a vehicle.

I am one who stated that I don't attend church. My wife and I have tried numerous churches. The hypocrisy we found in each one astounded us. Not a single one that we attended was respectful to the Lord. Lots of gossiping, backstabbing, people on power trips, people talking during the service, children running in and out of the church during service. I know not all churches are like this but the churches we attended were. We finally got burned out and decided to just stay home on Sundays and have our own private service. We both want to find the right church someday and we believe the Lord will direct us to that church but for the time being we are doing private worship.

I too picked do not attend because about every church I attended regularly being various Protestant denominations either folded, one switched to all Spanish services and I don't speak Spanish, or had a major blow up with bitter feelings to abound. Tried a few others for a while that for various reasons I did not attend permanently.

I am a bit jealous of those from smaller communities that stay intact for decades upon end. In the drive to build all these urban mega-churches we often forget that the local church should be a stable pillar of the community. The churches where my relatives live out in the boonies pretty much all seem to fit this category but are too distant.

So then when I moved to FL I thought this would be a good opportunity to seek a home church. After a while I found one that seemed like a good fit and attended there like 3 months or more. But in all that time the members didn't seem too willing to interact (most conversations were just polite hello, goodbyes). Then came the death nil. I heard members backbiting the pastor right outside the chapel doors and wanted no part of that! having seen too many needless blowups already. I don't think I've even visited a church since.

I intentionally have omitted the denominations as these are local issues. And this progression is over numerous years. At one I think I had perfect attendance for, off the top of my head, like 7 years and about 6 at another before I was 20.

I feel secure in my Salvation but have grown apathetic towards more formal congregations. I could say more but for the purposes of this thread perhaps it's best to say that I am disenfranchised with commercial Christianity and that besides perhaps many pastors and deacons I know too well among other things the damages from interpersonal conflicts within the local body.

I grew up in an age where many young people still believed Christian life was as portrayed in the Billy Graham films, that the Apostles were almost angelic living saint-like lives and that we could never measure up to but should strive towards. Who knew they were human? :eek:

I was crushed by the Jim Bakkers, the Jimmy Swaggarts, the Without Walls, and other major scandals of recent years. I'm still wondering why Paula White is still "ministering" on TV after this last divorce, but I guess that's what happens when the minister becomes more important than the message and there's no accountability or restoration process.

So it's little surprise to me that America is losing her moral footing because the foolishness of too many congregations, especially the excesses in some televised mega-churches, have driven the youth away from the Christian lifestyle, leaving a void for secular educators and media stars to fill with whatever messages they deem worthy of defacto indoctrination.

I've never attended a mega-church so I can't comment on that but I do live in a small community and I can tell you just because it is a rural area doesn't mean the back stabbing doesn't occur. In most of the small towns, if you can't trace your roots back to the founding fathers of the community, you are an outsider and are treated as such no matter how long you live there. Because of that, you are a bigger target for the back stabbing that goes on in those communities (and their churches).

It's a sorry state of affairs when the churches and the people in them have allowed the enemy to overtake them. But then again, the Bible warned us this would happen.

In most of the small towns, if you can't trace your roots back to the founding fathers of the community, you are an outsider and are treated as such no matter how long you live there.

Well I guess you have a point at that! LOL

Yep. In my personal example that sounds about right since the family has been in those churches for like 100+ years. I think there was once a guy whom had attended one for like about 20 years that they still referred to as "the new guy." :p

Southern Baptist, attend regularly.

The poll choices really need to be restructured.
Southern Baptist can be either Evangelical or Mainline (after all, it is the largest non-Catholic denomination in the U.S., pure definition of Mainline).

Mormons & Jehovah Witnesses should not be lumped together.

Methodist as the second largest non-Catholic denomination should have it's own category, as with Southern Baptist (the largest). Not to mention Lutheran, which doesn't fit into any of the categories.

These are choices I would have poll listed as (listed in order of percentage of U.S. population membership):
Roman Catholic
Southern Baptist
Baptist (non-Southern)
United Methodist
Lutheran
Pentacost
Episcopal/Anglican
Jewish
Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS)/Mormon
Assemblies of God
Church of Christ
United Church of Christ (UCC)
Jehovah Witness
Seventh Day Adventist
Eastern Orthodox
Muslim
other

This was never intended to be a politically correct poll. If you want that, go to NBC or MSNBC's website. Furthermore, it was never intended to be scientific. For that -- hopefully you'll be lucky enough to be surveyed by the Pew Poll or Barna's research.

I'm sorry, if you didn't understand that it was an informal survey. It's more about how people see themselves than anything else. If you are Southern Baptist, I didn't tell you which category to vote in.

And finally, I could not have included all of those denominations or affiliations in the poll. This bulletin board system allows for a maximum of 10 choices.

It's how you see yourself...... No PC Police, Statistics or Theology degree needed.

I say this with good cheer..... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts