possible tailgater problem

daveh505@comcast.net

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 18, 2008
Las Cruces NM
I have a vip211k hooked to a 1518 carryout auto satellite dish with RV programming. The carryout died the last time out and I'm tired of trying to get it to work so I ordered a Tailgater directly from King Controls. What kinds of problems will I have setting the taigater up to get the view the same programming as the carryout? I also use the recierver in the house with a stationary dish same programming.

The Tailgater aims at western arc satellites. I'm guessing from your location that your home system also is aimed at the western arc satellites, too (119/110/129)

Make sure the Tailgater has a good clear view of the southwestern sky. Aim the handle on the unit roughly to the north. When it's connected to the 211K, you'll get a portable antenna screen that will ask your state, then will run three scans to find the satellites. You'll need to run that scan any time the Tailgater is moved at all.

Otherwise, no problems. It'll get all the programming you already have, it sees all three western arc sats. Only disclaimer is that it won't be able to find 129 in the extreme northeast US (Maine, etc).

(edit) Oh, one other thing. Some customers have seen their 211K go into a loop. It'll run the 535 screen (acquiring satellites), go to the 330 screen (downloading program guide), then reboot and go back to the 535/330 loop, and then rinse/repeat. If that happens, press SELECT on the remote when the 330 program guide download gets about halfway green on the progress bar. It's a known issue with a fix scheduled.

The Tailgater aims at western arc satellites. I'm guessing from your location that your home system also is aimed at the western arc satellites, too (119/110/129)

Make sure the Tailgater has a good clear view of the southwestern sky. Aim the handle on the unit roughly to the north. When it's connected to the 211K, you'll get a portable antenna screen that will ask your state, then will run three scans to find the satellites. You'll need to run that scan any time the Tailgater is moved at all.

Otherwise, no problems. It'll get all the programming you already have, it sees all three western arc sats. Only disclaimer is that it won't be able to find 129 in the extreme northeast US (Maine, etc).

(edit) Oh, one other thing. Some customers have seen their 211K go into a loop. It'll run the 535 screen (acquiring satellites), go to the 330 screen (downloading program guide), then reboot and go back to the 535/330 loop, and then rinse/repeat. If that happens, press SELECT on the remote when the 330 program guide download gets about halfway green on the progress bar. It's a known issue with a fix scheduled.

Man you hit the nail squarly on the head. the info you conveyed is exactly the kind and type I need to be cofident of not screwing up my home setup. I'm going to test the tailgater by unhooking my home dish system and splicing in the tailgater to the reciever. Will there be any problems going back to the home system? Ineed to see how it works before getting on the road and then trying. I've been there and done that and didnt hear the end of it for a week.

The Tailgater will only work with a Dish 211 receiver. Hooking up to any other receiver may / will damage the Tailgater.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And the Z, I presume?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Tailgater will only work with a Dish 211 receiver. Hooking up to any other receiver may / will damage the Tailgater.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Scott
It came up and setup with no loops or glitches. Its got a real good picture and all the guides work. Ithink it's going to be a much better easier setup than the Carryout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)