Possible to create own PVR/DVR and record dishnet HDTV signal?

elloco07

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Hi guys
I hope I hope I posted in the right forum. Is it possible to create your own PVR/DVR and record HDTV from Dishnetwork? I been trying to read several forums and no one has come up with a definite answer. Since it will cost me $300 to upgrade to the new VIP dvr, maybe I can spend less on building my own and probably a better dvr, but i would like to record the HDTV content. Any help will help, thanks
-D

Are you wanting to record the HD content to stay HD for later viewing, or are you just wanting to record it to save to a PC to archive on to a DVD?

If you are wanting a cheap HD recorder, I would say give up, but if you are just wanting a cheap way to record that programming then there are a few ways to do it.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Are you wanting to record the HD content to stay HD for later viewing, or are you just wanting to record it to save to a PC to archive on to a DVD?

If you are wanting a cheap HD recorder, I would say give up, but if you are just wanting a cheap way to record that programming then there are a few ways to do it.

Yes, I want to record HD content for Later viewing, I know that true HD content wont fit on a dvd. I just want a DVR to record and watch shows at a later time. I do know it wont be for $300 but it wont just be a dvr, i can stream videos from it to my plasma tv, divx, etc..
self-
I just need to know if HD content from dishnetwork can be recorded on a built own PVR or is it restrecited by encryption?

I can record off of any HD channel I have from a the satellite receiver's s-video out to a SD DVR that I got for free on the net after rebate. The PQ is remarkably good although not HD during playback. BUT I accepted to down rez because I was just archiving the Hogan's Heros from HDNet to DVD9

charper1 said:
I can record off of any HD channel I have from a the satellite receiver's s-video out to a SD DVR that I got for free on the net after rebate. The PQ is remarkably good although not HD during playback. BUT I accepted to down rez because I was just archiving the Hogan's Heros from HDNet to DVD9

This is what I don't want to do.
I want to record true HD and view true HD. So far no on has a definite answer if it is possible without having to buy a dishnet dvr. Hope there is a way.

There used to be an HD video extractor that you could hookup to a computer but heard that they made those illegal to make. Did they make it legal once again to make those?

Does the computer based DVR's work just as good as the Dish and Direct DVR's from your guy's experiences?

charper1 said:
Could you elaborate a little bit on this topic, for one the main(besides PBS for the daughter ) reason I wanted FTA was to find the greatest tv show ever Hogan's Heros. I would very much like to record it, and am not familiar with the tivo or tivo like setups. Is there a free(legal) way to set something like a hard drive recorder to save and burn, or could you direct me to a thread. I dont need anything Hi Def. Thanks, Mark

The Sony DHG-HDD500 is a unit that works like the Dish PVR, only it is limited to OTA, and doesn't need any subscriptions. Guide data is free too.

This summer the Series 3 HD TiVo is coming out with something like six tuners in it. 2 OTA, 2 QAM for cable, and 2 for something else. It would work well.

Then, you can make your own. Just buy a couple of HTPC cards and stick them in your PC and you can turn that into a PVR. They even sell all nice looking cases just to do it.

You can find all of the parts to do it at http://digitalconnection.com/.

SageTV is a good card to do it. Also MythTV is another good one. Both allow you to have multiple tuners in your box. The guide data is free from MythTV. It has some xml thing in it that gets the listings 14 days in advance from zaptoit.com. Pretty cool stuff. I've been considering doing it myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts