POST RANDOM REBOOTS HERE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
It seems that last November Dish loaded a software update to all 622 and 722 receivers which has the unforeseen side-effect of causing these receivers lock up for a short time and then reboot randomly. This has happened to me only a few times, but it's a few times more than has ever happened to me before. I thought it was my receiver starting to die, but then I saw the scattered posts about similar issues here on Satelliteguys.

I wanted to start a thread where we 622/722 owners could report when these reboots are happening so they are all in one place and perhaps we can find some sort of a pattern. And also to let new members who come here for info see that they may not be alone with their random reboots.

In order to have complete info, please post the following:

Receiver 622, 722, 722k
Exact Time & date of reboot
Channel your receiver was on when it happened. if you know.

I'll start thing off with my last random reboot

8:18 am
2/18/12
TV1 - 12 (Cincinnati Local@77°)
TV2 -300 @ 72°
OTA - 9-2 (22-2)

My random reboot problem started after my 622 got the L710 update on Dec. 6th. It occurs "randomly", meaning any time or on any channel, SAT or OTA.

My 622 rebooted in the forth quater of the super bowl. Had to watch the end in the bedroom. Glad I did not have company. Dish told me this was a minor inconvience.

622, maybe twice a week. Called Dish and they said to keep track of it and they noted my account of the problem. Any fix in the future?

My 622s were rebooting several times a day. I discovered that doing a "unlock system" stopped 95% of the reboots. I had a lot of channels locked, mostly OTA religious and sub channels and all 9000s.

On two occassions over the last couple of weeks my 722 rebooted after the daily shutdown for updates at 3:00 AM. The shutdown goes as normal and when the picture comes back on it will go into another reboot. One time it wiped out the guide information and I had to do a check switch to retrieve it. "John"

I've had it happen, I think 3 times while watching the 10:00 news on channel 41-1 OTA. Another time on ESPN, or possibly ESPN-2. I'm probably forgetting some instances. So it happens on both OTA and satellite channels. Seems to happen pretty soon after a channel change operation usually. I've had some reboots require reloading the guide, and others not. This is on a 622 since December. I haven't had the problem with my 722.

Brad

We're having significant issues with reboots on the 622 that gets the most use. My wife is not a happy camper.

It seems to have dramatically worsened over the last few weeks.

Random Reboot:
3/1/2012
5:40 PM
OTA Tuner 7.1 (WHDH)

It happens at least once a day between 5-7PM, and sometimes in the morning.

Question for those who have had this happen.....Does it just restart or is it almost more like an outage? Tonight for the 4th time in 2 weeks (always around 8PM give or take 30 mins in either direction) I had th screen go black and I get a high pitch sound almost like feedback. Each time I did a hard reset or at least I thought I did as maybe it just rebooted on its own? I have a 622. Actually, I have two but have only seen this happen on the one receiver.

TIA

What you describe has happened to some. My experience is the picture freezes for a few seconds, then the screen goes black, then I can hear the 622 rebooting. Wait 4 minutes for it to cycle and everything is okay for another few weeks. But others have this issue are regular times like you describe.

I had another one on my 622 last night. Again, the receiver was tuned to channel 41-1 (OTA NBC). Happened just before 9:00 p.m., and cut off two recordings that were almost finished.

I'm not having this problem now, but in the past, when one tuner had been on an OTA station, the receiver would reboot if I lost signal on the OTA channel--even if I wasn't watching it or recording it. Since you are having problems since an update, I'm guessing this is not what's happening to many of you, but it might be something else to check. Good luck!!

Random Reboot:
3/9/12
9:28pm EST
622 Receiver
OTA Tuner channel 19.1(29.1)
Tuner 1: 140 ESPN
Tuner 2: 158 CBSSN

Charise, no... it isn't the problem. I was watching the OTA tuner when this last reboot happened without interruption before the reboot. The issue you describe had the "lost signal" screen pop up no matter what tuner I was watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)