Power Sound MTM-210 and Yamaha A3060

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Going to be drastically changing my system up in the next two weeks.

For a long while I have had huge Klipsch towers and the center (RF7II and RC64II), but I find myself wanting a little room freed up, and maybe something with a less in your face horn. Plus I never do 2 channel music any more either. So, the shopping began, and Ill start with saying speaker shopping sucks...

Original HT Setup:
Marantz AV7702II
Outlaw Model 7140
RF7II's
RC64II
Rythmik FV15HP x 2

After looking around at what could replace what I have, handle high volume HT levels, and not break the bank, I settled on the Power Sound Audio MTM-210 for my fronts and the MTM210C for my center (slash tv stand :) ). Also, needing Dolby vision pass thru, I am selling the Marantz AV7702II and have a Yamaha A3060 arriving today. The PSA monitors need little power to play LOUD, so I can also sell my Outlaw amp and free up more room.

The final thing this allows me to do, is spread the subs out more. I know the farther they are apart the better, I proved it with REW, but due to the huge Klipsch towers the subs are cramped closer together. After speaking with Tom at PSA, I am going to place the MTM210 monitors on the subs with an isolation pad, so I can spread the subs out farther and then just toe the speakers in as needed for the MLP. The A3060 will drive these 3 speakers fine, so I don't have a large area of my stand tied up in an amplifier. The center is huge, its basically the same as the two monitors set to lay down (I've never owned a true LCR setup before in this manner), and I can place my OLED on top of it without issue. My HT stand is only 17" tall, I like the display to be as low as possible.

Final setup:
Yamaha A3060
PSA MTM-210's
PSA MTM-210C
Rythmik FV15HP x 2

I'll post some updates as I get it all in and try it out. Going to use the Sorbothane pads and feet they sell on Amazon in all kinds of sizes, for the MTM bases.

bda2c-RXA3060BLfr2UCAGBTKLRFS_f.jpg

MTM-210-4.png

MTM-210C-1.png

• 2 way, audiophile loudspeaker
  • 1" titanium compression driver
  • Cast aluminum exponential horn
  • Dual 10" high efficiency woofers
  • Audiophile grade crossover completely designed in house
  • Frequency Response = 70Hz - 18kHz
  • Sensitivity = 98dB 1W/1M
  • Nominal Impedance = 8 Ohms
  • Power Handling = 175 W
  • Size HxWxD = 11" x 28" x 16" (includes grill)
  • Weight = 55lbs

Also nothing wrong with good ole made in the USA speakers.

Reactions: dfergie
Never had PSA, so let us know how they do compared to the Klipsch. I am kind of in the same boat. I really want to move the Wharefedales upstairs and the M&K's downstairs. The only problem with that is the display is not centered on the wall. With the downward angle of the center, that puts it off-center. It looks weird.

S~

I did a lot of reading, people seem really impressed with them as a HT monitor, and they from what I gather compared to Klipsch, the horns are not as in your face and they are a lot more forgiving on how you aim them. The RF7II's are picky.

Big thing I think will be moving the subs out another 2 feet both ways, these results were huge when I was using REW, but it caused me to put the Klipsch too close together, and then they did not sound right.

Basically with dual 15" subs, I need LCR's that are toned down a little and more balanced, hopefully these are as good as people say. Plus the room freed up increases WAF.

I'm battling several issues right now myself. With the Jades, I need at least 15" subs, but they do not fit downstairs, so I have the 12" Sunfires, which have worked well. That brings me to problem 2. One of the subs has developed a rattle. Problem 3, I developed static, even with the Panamax 5400. Switched out the Rotel for the Parasound. Pain carrying 80+ lb. amps up and down the stairs. Static was better, but still there. Turns out it was the new powerline adapter. Going to try something else this weekend.

S~

Geez, fun....

I'm hunting isolation pads now for the center (total weight is 110 pounds with the OLED) and monitors (55lbs each).

I think I am going to go with these isolate it feet because they come with 3M sticky backing for attaching to speaker. I used some lowes versions under the RC64II (probably not enough by reading the spec on these) and they have done well the last 2 years holding up an OLED too.

41IgabeaP-L._SX425_.jpg

Only being 1/2" high is nice, and they are rated at 8lbs per pad. Thats 7 each on the monitor and 14 on the center. Thats probably way overkill, but they will be protected from vibration and can easily support the load, plus being stick on feet they look like they growed there.

RX-A3060 is set to be delivered today from AVS, going to go ahead an remove the amp, XLR's, all that crap tonight while I have the preamp out, before I run YPAO. Someone wants my 7702II, so I can get it moved and then try and sell the amp. That way all I have to do when the new speakers come in is unhook the the Klipsch and move them, setup the PSA's, move the subs, and rerun YPAO.

Impressions after learning the menu's as a 100% Yamaha newbie, running YPAO with 8 measurements, level checking, and using some well known high SPL action scenes for listening:

• The menu system is confusing as hell first, but once you get used to Display, On Screen and Option, it becomes easier than a Denon to look at certain things quickly, and what's nice even with Direct for processing (I don't like to use any), the overlays still work well and Direct does not cause issues with test patterns. Another very nice item is overlays when in HDR mode, my 7702II would not do that.
  • After YPAO was run, I did some listening with all my speakers set to small and 80hz, and it sounded pretty good but something was off. I put in spears and munsil 2 with the true HD track of -30 and -40dbfs tones, set the 3060 to 0.0 volume, and my levels were all off (the subs being the worst; too high). Explains why I had to crank the gains higher than I ever have for YPAO, so I know what to do next time. I had to drop the sub levels -8db, so Ill back off the gain some and rerun so that the subs are around +6, this should have me end up around -2. The fronts were perfect, and the center was about 2.5db higher than the fronts. I leveled all of that out, left it on YPAO Flat, and then watched some scenes from the first Bayformers and the armored car chase from The Dark Knight.
  • On Bayformers, I always use the attack on the base in the beginning, the highway fight, and the scene in the city battle were Hound flips over the lady in the street (deep bass hit) and fires rockets at the tank. Everything sounded GREAT (system is a 3.2, dual FV15HP's, two RF7II's and a RC64II) and the Yamaha drove it like a champ. Max dB at the MLP was 115.1 LOL.
  • Armored car scene is good, but has always been a little harsh with the Klipsch Horns to me, but it sounded great and hit 113.2 dB ;)

Impressed so far, this thing is a little beast. Other than levels, YPAO flat sounds pretty dang good.

Sum up the settings I am using:

8 Ohm MIN
Mode 1 (passes BT2020 HDR fine on Netflix and UHD Blu)
Video Processing on Direct
DSP is set to Straight
YPAO Flat
Speakers at 80hz and Small

Going to try everything out this weekend on Unforgiven UHD. Speakers shipping today, and I should have Wed. Will try them out on Logan UHD next weekend!

The Yamaha has an odd setting under the sub setup for Monaural and Left+Right when using dual subs, because both seem like they could apply. Someone at AVS explained to me what they mean and now I get why YPAO tests each sub measurement individually instead of like XT32 that treats them as one:

Monaural - Basically what Audyssey does, everything under the system speaker crossover (say 80hz) goes to both subs, as well as the LFE channel.

Left+Right - LFE and the center sound under the xover go to the subs; the difference is the content on the front right speaker under the xover only goes to the right sub, and the content under the front left speaker xover only goes to the left.

Pretty neat.

Love the web setup interface. Been tinkering with the Dimmer, set at -1 right now. 0 was a tad bright during Unforgiven UHD last night. First UHD flick went off without a hitch too.

Yamaha also seems to handshake better than my 7702II between the LG E6 and Sony X1000ES too.

Well, i did sell my Marantz, and had a buyer for the Outlaw amp but I backed out. I can't bring myself to sell the amp, I love it too much. Ill be using the Yamaha as a prepro when I get the new speakers in.

Reactions: teachsac
Speakers should be here soon, have everything moved out. Just talking with PSA about my speakers (7.5 feet apart and 9 feet from MLP), going with a 15 degree toe in. That is pretty much where the Klipsch were aimed, not at the MLP directly, but somewhat behind the MLP. The MLP is actually a spot right between where my wife and I sit (recliner beside a couch), and the Klipsch were aimed at our inner shoulders.

Hope I can sell these monster Klipsch before too long LOL.

Won't be able to run them like this, with the dogs...

c29L8U.jpg

Still looks powerful though

3qquAU.jpg

Used these lo-pro sorbothane grippy feet I found, rated at 8lbs per, so I put enough on all 3 speakers to cover weight, and they don't slide at all.

dwYVDu.jpg

Have to finish cleaning up now, and maybe get YPAO run tonight...

Pretty much run out of time, but everything is done. I used a speaker angle app for the iphone, works real well. Set the speaker straight on, zero, and turn to 15 degrees. Using the image below, you can see where the right and left speakers hit the couch and recliner, aiming at a spot behind us. This is pretty much how the klipsch were too. I make the MLP measurement on any room eq in basically the split between our two armrests. Figure it gives as best sound as possible for both seats and then I measure the other 7 positions between the two seats in a box.

Sug4f3.jpg

Will run YPAO and set levels tomorrow when I get home, and then going to watch a new UHD movie tomorrow night.

Had a devil of a time getting things set up today. I was trying different RCA's and one was bad out the box, got irritated I grabbed the ol BJC LC1's and used them for everything. Once I got YPAO done and set everything up as small and 80hz, and ran content I am familiar with, here are the "first impressions":

• Horns are more mellow than the 7II and 64II horns. At reference, there is just not anything I feel is overly in your face.
  • At reference level the fronts seem to hang better than the 7II's SQ wise, or clarity if you will. Things are loud, clean, separated but yet not overbearing and the LCR all seem to work in harmony.
  • To me the center seems better than the 64II, but I am not sure if the overall sound improvement I feel is there is because these 3 speakers are basically the same, which is the first time I have ever been in that situation. Usually the center has been smaller in some form or another, but these dual 10's and the horn sound terrific as a center channel.

I ran some dB tests, and levels are right. It hit 115 db's in the bayformers 1 city battle, which is generally what I expect it to do during a large bass drop.

I am fixing to fire up a new flick and see how I feel after 1 hr 45 mins of it cranked, but so far I am happy with the sound and the horns.

After many hours of HDTV content now, I can say a few more things:

• As stated above, these speakers just sound more meaty, like with deep voices and other noises than the Klipsch did.
  • The horns as def more laid back, so that is a YMMV on which you would prefer, as much of audio is subjective anyways.
  • The whole front is more seamless when watching content, not sure if that is because the speakers are closer together, the fact they are all the same, but it is obvious. I also wonder if some of the sound improvement I notice is because being on the subs the horns are a perfect height. Also not sure how directional the Klipsch horns are vs the PSA horns.
  • IMO, the 210C is better than the RC64II strictly looking at the center channel sound. It is the most obvious improvement for me, other than a more mellow horn sound.

You will never hear me say the Klipsch top end models were bad, they weren't and they kicked ass in 2 channel music, but these do for me what I hoped the change would bring.

Reactions: teachsac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)