previous hd dvd exclusive releases

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
so will studios who previously released in hd dvd format only go back and re-release those movies in blu ray? what about tv series that released seasons on hd dvd only, like NBC's Heroes?

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
I'm keeping my HD DVD's for just in case something like that happens. I have gotten so spoiled watching movies in HD. I am going to take my duplicate SD's down to our local "Buy em-Sell em" store and round up some cash. I want more HD movies.

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

They already spent money on getting the titles ready for HD. So I expect all of them will be re-released in Blu-Ray (unless they REALLY sold badly on HD-DVD) sometime in the next two years. Of course they will concentrate on the big money makers and new releases first.

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I suspect it's replication and physical production costs that are the large investment in a release, so the fact that they may already be authored is somewhat irrelevant.

I'd expect nothing but the new releases and the show off movies (Transformers, larger budget action/kid movies) and just be surprised if they do more, for now at least.

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.
Rumor has it the Blu-ray version of Transformers has already been authored. Probably before they went HD DVD exclusive.

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
Rumor has it the Blu-ray version of Transformers has already been authored.
The BD version must have a higher video bitrate and at least a lossless track to give the BD fanboys at least a fiscal reason to say:
"See how much better it is? What, you don't see/hear it? You must be completely blind/deaf!"

If it's just a repackaging (Warner-style) of the HD version - since they don't use BD+ this will become clear immediately - it won't sell as good as the first HD release, I think.

Diogen.

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Warner gave the Blu-Ray guys a Dolby Digital :eek: version of Michael Clayton. Maybe they really were planning on dumping Blu and going HD DVD before flip flopping at the 11th hour.

The BD version must have a higher video bitrate and at least a lossless track to give the BD fanboys at least a fiscal reason to say:
"See how much better it is? What, you don't see/hear it? You must be completely blind/deaf!"

If it's just a repackaging (Warner-style) of the HD version - since they don't use BD+ this will become clear immediately - it won't sell as good as the first HD release, I think.

Diogen.

I don't recall Paramount ever providing PCM to Blu-Ray discs--usually crappy 640kbps Dolby Digital whereas HD DVD usually got Dolby Digital Plus (and rarely TrueHD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts