problem with AZBOX

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Today, my Azbox decided that it didn't want to work. It keeps displaying "An error has occurred, please reboot your system". I keep rebooting but the message keeps popping up. Googling and referring to the Azbox manual wasn't any help. Anyone know how to fix this?

I'd take a copy of the firmware, put it on a USB stick, turn it off with the main switch in the back, insert the usb, and turn it on, it will force update the firmware. See if that helps.

Thanks. I'll have to try to remember that next time this happens. But, it sucks having to reprogram everything. BTW, I see a new firmware listed (3501) - any thoughts on it? I'm running 2372 right now.

I've try few new versions but does not work for me, as Brent, still on 2880.
Each weekend I'm saving Sats and Channel settings (just in case) and it saved me a lot of time.

Today, my Azbox decided that it didn't want to work. It keeps displaying "An error has occurred, please reboot your system". I keep rebooting but the message keeps popping up. Googling and referring to the Azbox manual wasn't any help. Anyone know how to fix this?
My brother and I had the same thing happen on the same day on an s2 4:2:2 feed ,It screwed up my sat list that I had made from satellites.xml.I had to do a factory reset and reload my sat and channel list,now everything is ok.I have been using 2371 firmware since the day I got mine and that is the only problem I had.

I usually run the latest FW within a couple days of its release. I've not noticed any speed or usability issues with any of the newer FW's. They operate a little differently, some look a little different, but they do the same things.

On the lockup issue, I am always very very careful that I check the TP list first to make sure I do NOT have conflicting TP's, for some reason that makes the Azbox go crazy insane, or is that insane crazy? Anyway it can cause all kinds of fun, so just don't do it.

This happens frequently if you used the XML thing to make a sat list, as a lot of us have. They include basically ALL of the SNG combinations, so it virtually impossible not to have a conflict.

Just something else to watch for. Least it isnt as bad as the Vantage is, so we have that going for us. :D

Johnnynobody,

Keep the following procedure in your library of special instructions for the AZBox.

1] Download a image file (firmware) version that you know you can trust or at least expect it to be safe.

2] Unzip or Unrar it and save it to a USB FLASH drive with the name of the file being "patch.bin".

3] Do not store this file in any folder and preferrably, there should be no other files on the flash drive other than this file. AZBox and its Linux system gets peculiar if you don't follow its desires (it doesn't like to play ball with file names and folders).

4] Power the AZBox OFF with the rear rocker switch and insert the flash drive into the USB port.

5] Power the AZBox back on with the rear switch. If it boots up and displays that it has found a new upgrade file, procede with the instructions shown on your TV or monitor display.

6] If it doesn't boot up fully and seems to be in the standby mode, press the STB POWER button on either the STB front panel or on the remote, whichever you prefere and whichever actually works.

7] Follow the instruction shown on your TV or monitor display just as I mentioned in step 5.

8] If this fails to guide you to setup instructions and it seems to be locked up or stuck in BOOT UP mode, then go to step 9.

9] Reboot the box and when it displays "checking ..." - note the periods following the word checking - press the OK button and it should go to locating the upgrade file on the flash drive and you should be able to follow the auto-prompts to install and overwrite the image file in the flash memory.

10] If you are given the option to reformat the flash memory you might have to perform this as well, but try to avoid this as it makes the process longer and erases everything. Try the "reboot without update" first. If this step works and the control of the AZBox is recovered, then you will not need to take additional steps. If problems still exist, then repeat the procedure above and select reformat the flash drive.

NOTE: Your USB memory must be formatted in the FAT file system (so that both the receiver and the PC) can recognize your USB memory device. In addition, the AZBox Linux OS can only recognize files and directories which are named with only alphabetic, numeric and underscore characters. If there is a file or folder named with the use of other characters, the digital receiver will not recognize those files or folders and not only that, but also any files or folders which are contained within them.

This procedure works very well as I had to utilize it myself and was very surprised that it was so easy. I have had other receivers lock up and they are a bearcat to recover. This is just like setting up a home PC and there is really no mystery about it. Basically, a SAFE MODE is what you are accessing and then you can rewite or reload the image or OS files without the hinderance of the corrupted files stalling or stonewalling you.

Of course, after this procedure, you have to start all over from scratch regarding your sats and motor settings and scanning or loading all your channels. When you get it back in full operation, make certain that you back up the entire systems files for future problems. Just like doing a restore dish for your PC. But, don't back up your recorded video files or pictures etc. Save them to another source and then delete them from your internal HDD or disconnect your external HDD, otherwise the process will take many hours as it will save these files, too.

They say just backup the all_channel.dat, the antenna_list.dat and the DVBS.dat file from the DISK2 folder on the AZBOX, but I am not so sure if it wouldn't be more wise to backup the entire AZBox memory.

RADAR

Last edited:

On the lockup issue, I am always very very careful that I check the TP list first to make sure I do NOT have conflicting TP's, for some reason that makes the Azbox go crazy insane, or is that insane crazy? Anyway it can cause all kinds of fun, so just don't do it.

conflicting TP's
are you talking about on the same sat ?
if you are.
mine will not let that happen. from the get go.
if i try, it will spit it out when i hit save and the feq will read 0.
then i exit out and go look at the list of them and find out which one it is.
then delete or edit it.

so i would never have to look at them before loading new firmware.

Johnnynobody,

Keep the following procedure in your library of special instructions for the AZBox.

1] Download a image file (firmware) version that you know you can trust or at least expect it to be safe.

2] Unzip or Unrar it and save it to a USB FLASH drive with the name of the file being "patch.bin".
When you say a version you can "trust", then say that you have to Unrar it, I'm not sure these two things are compatable, because the somewhat "official" versions of the firmware don't need this, as they aren't in the rar format. I know that the dealer forum that has a lot of good Azbox info posts links to the new firmware versions at a somewhat annoying site that has the firmware in rar format, but that made me a bit nervous because it wasn't coming from the manufacturer's web page and it seemed like anyone could put a bogus file on these sites, advertise them, and you might get stuck. So I looked at the url that was in the Azbox for it's automatic internet updates, and found a link on the web that showed how to word the url properly, so whenever I see a new firmware version advertised, I go to a url like the following:
http://azupd.com/0.9.2371/patch.bin
Ie, replace the 0.9.2371 above with the current firmware you're looking for. If you do this, the file you download will already be named patch.bin, and you won't have to re-name it. They don't seem have firmware versions at the above azupd site as soon as you see it mentioned on the web, but usually it is there a day later or so. However I didn't trust the other version until I'd see posts from people saying that it worked, so I wouldn't use it for a few days anyway, or not at all if there weren't any significant improvements.
Anyway, it just made me feel a bit more comfortable about the validity of the firmware file knowing that it came from the same site that the Azbox itself uses.

NOTE: Your USB memory must be formatted in the FAT file system (so that both the receiver and the PC) can recognize your USB memory device. In addition, the AZBox Linux OS can only recognize files and directories which are named with only alphabetic, numeric and underscore characters. If there is a file or folder named with the use of other characters, the digital receiver will not recognize those files or folders and not only that, but also any files or folders which are contained within them.

Interesting... I hadn't thought of that, and on a couple occasions, I've run into files on my computer that the Azbox just refused to play for no obvious (to me) reason. I'm starting to wonder if this might be the cause, because some of the files I try to play were files saved by programs that gave the file very long cryptic names with all sorts of characters.
Thanks, I'm going to have to check this out.

This also reminds me of another thing I've been curious about. Linux and dos/windows use different byte orders when they store data, but I've never been quite sure if this would affect an actual .mpg file or not. I had assumed that such a file wouldn't be different, but I've run into some issues that make me think that maybe it is an issue. Ie if I FTP to the Azbox, I can copy text files from the Azbox to the PC and visa-versa with no problems, but recently, I tried to copy a binary (.mpg) file from the Azbox (on a linux formatted drive), and I wasn't able to copy it, even though I checked the file permissions, and there didn't seem to be any reason why it shouldn't copy. I'm just starting to wonder if the reason I couldn't copy the file might be related to the byte order issue (or whatever you call it when they reverse the bytes).
Has anyone else had problems copying binary files from the Azbox? I really don't see any reason why I would have problems with binary files but not text files. I know that I've FTP'd binary files from other linux systems before without problems. Maybe it's windows that is causing the problems, ie some kind of security issue. I'd give an example, but it's been several weeks before I noticed the problem, and I can't remember what it was I couldn't copy. I THINK it was a recording I had made on a linux formatted USB drive, but I'm not positive.

When you say a version you can "trust", then say that you have to Unrar it, I'm not sure these two things are compatable, because the somewhat "official" versions of the firmware don't need this, as they aren't in the rar format.

B.J.

In this instance I stated so as to make a "blanket" statement. I think most of us are all aware that any file loaded into most devices must be in a RAW file and not something that is zipped or rar'd. So, it was not a reflection or assumption upon the validity of the source of the file, but a comment regarding that any file (Linux Image or otherwise) needs to be in its raw or non condensed or non compressed format for the device to accept it. That is all.

I know that you understand this very well. Anyone new to the scene may neglect this notion. I guess I have seen it all too often and felt that it needed to be stipulated so that they knew right off.

RADAR

B.J.

In this instance I stated so as to make a "blanket" statement. I think most of us are all aware that any file loaded into most devices must be in a RAW file and not something that is zipped or rar'd. So, it was not a reflection or assumption upon the validity of the source of the file, but a comment regarding that any file (Linux Image or otherwise) needs to be in its raw or non condensed or non compressed format for the device to accept it. That is all.

Sorry. I understood and didn't disagree with what you said. I was just suggesting that the firmware files for the Azbox that are in the rar form are coming from a site that's not necessarily direct from Azbox, and might not be safe. I just don't feel comfortable getting files from a site that doesn't seem to be related to the receiver manufacturer. Plus if you download them from the Azbox site, you wouldn't need to un-rar them. Plus, that site the rar files are on is kind of annoying, making you wait 30 seconds or something like that trying to get you to pay them or something.

Sorry. I understood and didn't disagree with what you said. I was just suggesting that the firmware files for the Azbox that are in the rar form are coming from a site that's not necessarily direct from Azbox, and might not be safe. I just don't feel comfortable getting files from a site that doesn't seem to be related to the receiver manufacturer. Plus if you download them from the Azbox site, you wouldn't need to un-rar them. Plus, that site the rar files are on is kind of annoying, making you wait 30 seconds or something like that trying to get you to pay them or something.

I understand you there B.J... No problem there as I understood where you were coming from right off.

RADAR

Johnnynobody,

3] Do not store this file in any folder and preferrably, there should be no other files on the flash drive other than this file. AZBox and its Linux system gets peculiar if you don't follow its desires (it doesn't like to play ball with file names and folders).

4] Power the AZBox OFF with the rear rocker switch and insert the flash drive into the USB port.

5] Power the AZBox back on with the rear switch. If it boots up and displays that it has found a new upgrade file, procede with the instructions shown on your TV or monitor display.

6] If it doesn't boot up fully and seems to be in the standby mode, press the STB POWER button on either the STB front panel or on the remote, whichever you prefere and whichever actually works.

7] Follow the instruction shown on your TV or monitor display just as I mentioned in step 5.

8] If this fails to guide you to setup instructions and it seems to be locked up or stuck in BOOT UP mode, then go to step 9.

9] Reboot the box and when it displays "checking ..." - note the periods following the word checking - press the OK button and it should go to locating the upgrade file on the flash drive and you should be able to follow the auto-prompts to install and overwrite the image file in the flash memory.

10] If you are given the option to reformat the flash memory you might have to perform this as well, but try to avoid this as it makes the process longer and erases everything. Try the "reboot without update" first. If this step works and the control of the AZBox is recovered, then you will not need to take additional steps. If problems still exist, then repeat the procedure above and select reformat the flash drive.

This procedure works very well as I had to utilize it myself and was very surprised that it was so easy. I have had other receivers lock up and they are a bearcat to recover. This is just like setting up a home PC and there is really no mystery about it. Basically, a SAFE MODE is what you are accessing and then you can rewite or reload the image or OS files without the hinderance of the corrupted files stalling or stonewalling you.

Of course, after this procedure, you have to start all over from scratch regarding your sats and motor settings and scanning or loading all your channels. When you get it back in full operation, make certain that you back up the entire systems files for future problems. Just like doing a restore dish for your PC. But, don't back up your recorded video files or pictures etc. Save them to another source and then delete them from your internal HDD or disconnect your external HDD, otherwise the process will take many hours as it will save these files, too.

They say just backup the all_channel.dat, the antenna_list.dat and the DVBS.dat file from the DISK2 folder on the AZBOX, but I am not so sure if it wouldn't be more wise to backup the entire AZBox memory.

RADAR

Acwx, thank you very much for this write up. I couldn't get control of my Azbox til I searched the site looking for this problem and found your post. At first it kept saying.. no patch found at step 9. Finally after taking a real close look, I realized I had renamed a few of the stored patch files I had to tell me which version it was so, the Azbox in this "safe mode" of yours didn't recognize that. I downloaded a fresh patch and it loaded ok.
Since I didn't realize it at first, I did the step 10 total format deal.

I now have the box working again.
The only problem I have now is, I can't connect to it with either the editor (I'm using 2880 FW and editor for now) or filezilla. Previously, I could. I went into the Azbox internet settings and set all that back to where it was. Static IP, Wired network, IP address and subnet mask. I went into network service and enabled everything again. I've double and triple checked every setting I can find with no luck. Any ideas? If not, I can live with it. I'm just happy your post got my box going again:)

Acwx, thank you very much for this write up. I couldn't get control of my Azbox til I searched the site looking for this problem and found your post. At first it kept saying.. no patch found at step 9. Finally after taking a real close look, I realized I had renamed a few of the stored patch files I had to tell me which version it was so, the Azbox in this "safe mode" of yours didn't recognize that. I downloaded a fresh patch and it loaded ok.
Since I didn't realize it at first, I did the step 10 total format deal.

I now have the box working again.
The only problem I have now is, I can't connect to it with either the editor (I'm using 2880 FW and editor for now) or filezilla. Previously, I could. I went into the Azbox internet settings and set all that back to where it was. Static IP, Wired network, IP address and subnet mask. I went into network service and enabled everything again. I've double and triple checked every setting I can find with no luck. Any ideas? If not, I can live with it. I'm just happy your post got my box going again:)

See here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts