Problems with New Pirates?

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Is anyone else having a problem with the new Pirates movie on BluRay? It gets to the big skull, you say play and then it gets caught in a loop with the skull.

Im going to exchange it tomorrow but Im not sure if it will do any good. I upgraded my BDP1200 about a month ago.

Edited to add: I do not go into the War Zones so I did not find the posts until after I did the search. I would have expected it to be here for information as well as in the war zone for fodder.

Last edited:
Thats to bad. So far I have been really lucky and have had zero problems with any of my movies. Hope it works for you soon.

As reported by Disney, this problem with playback has to do with 1080p24fps (just like I said in another post). Seems this problem is rearing its head particularly with Samsung HDTVs and their standalone players. I have had problems getting Samsung reps to verify that Samsung HDTVs can do a native 108p24fps. The thing is , that while their players are supposed to output 1080p24fps most of their HDTVs can not even accept that signal thus causing the disc to not play on Samsung BD players. Some of the newer HDTVs just upconvert to 60fps (totally defeating the purpose of 24fps!).

Disney's current fix is for you to watch in 1080i60fps until there is a firmware download for the Samsung players. Most folks with a PS3 have not had a problem with playback. My question is if there is an problem with 1080p24fps playback?

On another note, since there are so many differant BD players from so many differant manufacturers there seems to be more problems with BD movies then HD-DVD. But the truth is that there are just as many problems cropping up in HD-DVD movies and they have only on manufacturer -- Toshiba. So maybe these problems are studio generated and not CE specific all the time.

Having said all that, has anyone watched this movie in 1080p24fps and can verify the playback for us?

Having said all that, has anyone watched this movie in 1080p24fps and can verify the playback for us?

Even though my projector is 720P, it supports 1080P/24 as an input source. POC played fine for me with having the PS3 outup 1080P/24.

Is anyone else having a problem with the new Pirates movie on BluRay? It gets to the big skull, you say play and then it gets caught in a loop with the skull.
bring up the remote menu and hit top menu that will bring you to the play movie screen,works great from there.My disc did the same thing got to the skull and froze.This has has to be one of the best looking and sounding BR movie yet.

Bd-p1000

I was able to play POC 3 mostly OK. But in the scene where Jack is in the brig, the picture "rolled" like the old analog TVs used to with a black bar in the middle and the image on the top and bottom of the bar. I had to completely stop the disc and restart to correct this. After the restart it worked fine.

I also had trouble with the maelstrom interactive feature on the bonus disc. I could click on an icon to view one of the videos but my player would lock up when I attempted to return to the main time elapse video.

Me too....

I have a PS3 set at 1080p 24 and it would not display the menu (talking skull). I played around with it trying to get it to work for a bit and the only way I could get it to display the menu was to switch to 1080i 60 as was mentioned earlier. I came upon the fix by trial and error - unfortunately, this thread wasn't around that first night of the disk's release. BTW, my projector (Optoma HD70 projector) s 720p native, but it will accept a 1080p 24 signal.

I have a PS3 set at 1080p 24 and it would not display the menu (talking skull). I played around with it trying to get it to work for a bit and the only way I could get it to display the menu was to switch to 1080i 60 as was mentioned earlier. I came upon the fix by trial and error - unfortunately, this thread wasn't around that first night of the disk's release. BTW, my projector (Optoma HD70 projector) s 720p native, but it will accept a 1080p 24 signal.

That is wierd becuase mine played fine with the PS3 and 1080P/24.

Well, I have a Toshiba and it won't work. I guess there is no sense in trying to exchange it because I will have the same problem.

i think toshiba is hd dvd only and potc is blu ray only. so i think it will never work for you.

btw just got my copy of pirates 3 today. hope mine works, will find out this weekend, tonight its superbad!

i think toshiba is hd dvd only and potc is blu ray only. so i think it will never work for you.

btw just got my copy of pirates 3 today. hope mine works, will find out this weekend, tonight its superbad!

The Toshiba is the TV not the player. The player that she was using is a BDP1200.

I have a Toshiba television... not player. I'm not that stupid. :) If you read my first post you would see I have the Samsung BDP1200 player.

Now, for information purposes........ Best Buy is aware there is a problem with the disks and some people can not play therm. They will allow you to exchange it for the regular DVD within 30 days. They will refund the difference in price.

Does anyone know from the last disk that had a problem what the resolution was? Did they finally fix it so it could be played or did they exchange the disks or what?

Now, for information purposes........ Best Buy is aware there is a problem with the disks and some people can not play therm. They will allow you to exchange it for the regular DVD within 30 days. They will refund the difference in price.

Does anyone know from the last disk that had a problem what the resolution was? Did they finally fix it so it could be played or did they exchange the disks or what?
Try it in 1080i

My Two Cents - Archived Posts (12/9/07 - 12/3/07)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)