Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I acquired a 1.2 meter Prodelin offset dish a while back and was wondering if the receive side of the LNB/feed would work for FTA television reception?

Here's some pics of the dish and the tx/rx unit:

Attachments

• Sat Hughes LNBF back.JPG
    Sat Hughes LNBF back.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Sat Hughes LNBF bottom.JPG
    Sat Hughes LNBF bottom.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Sat Hughes LNBF front.JPG
    Sat Hughes LNBF front.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Sat 4' Offset Back.JPG
    Sat 4' Offset Back.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Sat 4' Offset Front.JPG
    Sat 4' Offset Front.JPG
    829.7 KB · Views: 352
My bet is that it will work if you hook directly up to the rx side.

The catch is that it will be single-polarity...

Thanks, meinename. I think I will try that and see what happens, haven't been able to find any LO (or any other) info, so I'm not really sure what numbers to enter into the receiver.

The scalar/feedhorn gizmo is held on with 6 bolts, has anyone seen an LNB that would mate up with that rig?

I guess I could attach a standard linear LNBF at the focal point and see how it worked also.

Unless you want to transmit on that dish, you could just put a new KU LNBf with a new holder.

The Scaler ring on that old feedhorn looks awesome. It looks like it is missing the protective plastic cover.

Thanks, meinename. I think I will try that and see what happens, haven't been able to find any LO (or any other) info, so I'm not really sure what numbers to enter into the receiver.

The scalar/feedhorn gizmo is held on with 6 bolts, has anyone seen an LNB that would mate up with that rig?

I guess I could attach a standard linear LNBF at the focal point and see how it worked also.
We'll need close-up pictures of the flange :D

I'd punch in the standard 10750 but I'd aim it to some known satellite with an analog meter first. That way when you scan you know exactly which polarity it is.
And my educated guess is that the Rx info sticker is squished between the big Tx cylinder and the little square Rx unit. :hungry:

Nice dish, BTW.

Thanks, Sadoun, I'm hoping to build an offset adapter for this one and install it on a BUD polar mount/actuator (unless I can find an H-H mount for it).

We'll need close-up pictures of the flange :D

I'd punch in the standard 10750 but I'd aim it to some known satellite with an analog meter first. That way when you scan you know exactly which polarity it is.
And my educated guess is that the Rx info sticker is squished between the big Tx cylinder and the little square Rx unit. :hungry:

Here's some more pics of the flange, etc. :)

Attachments

• Sat Hughes LNBF Bottom2.JPG
    Sat Hughes LNBF Bottom2.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Sat Hughes LNBF Feed Removed.JPG
    Sat Hughes LNBF Feed Removed.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 252
=snip=
Here's some more pics of the flange, etc. :)
Looks like a C120 to me but someone else will have to measure. Can't get to my Starband. :(

I meant pictures of the other sides of the Rx :rolleyes: Also do you feel comfortable trying to remove the Rx LNB? In a way that could be reassembled, of course. That would answer some questions.

Looks like a C120 to me but someone else will have to measure. Can't get to my Starband. :(

I meant pictures of the other sides of the Rx :rolleyes: Also do you feel comfortable trying to remove the Rx LNB? In a way that could be reassembled, of course. That would answer some questions.

I *think* a C120 flange has an 8-bolt pattern from the pics I have seen, but not sure about that.

I knew what you meant about where the info sticker may be hidden, just haven't figured out how to take it apart yet. :D

I *think* a C120 flange has an 8-bolt pattern from the pics I have seen, but not sure about that.

I knew what you meant about where the info sticker may be hidden, just haven't figured out how to take it apart yet. :D
Well according to the part number and Google it's a Hugesnet, and I've only seen "standard" equipment on their dishes. So I assume that's the case. :p

My starband had two ? O-ring flange clamps ? where the flanges were to allow rotation of the Rx LNB to set Tx/Rx polarity. I never bothered taking them apart to see how many screw holes it had.

I do know it was a CM 75e matched feedhorn

Whaddya know I do have a picture! with a ruler no less! :eek: :cool:

Attachments

• 1218081421.jpg
    1218081421.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 252
Interesting, does anyone have one of those that they could measure?

It has a symmetrical 6 bolt pattern, and the opposite bolts are approximately 1 3/8" apart.

Thanks! :)

The Superdish LNB mounts with 4 bolts, but has an 8 bolt pattern. The holes are about 1 9/16 inches apart on center. You could still probably attach a Superdish LNB, but you might have to be creative. The other thing that you would need to consider is that you will need to build something to mount the LNB on the dish since on the Superdish, they are held with these same 4 bolts.

The Superdish LNB mounts with 4 bolts, but has an 8 bolt pattern. The holes are about 1 9/16 inches apart on center. You could still probably attach a Superdish LNB, but you might have to be creative. The other thing that you would need to consider is that you will need to build something to mount the LNB on the dish since on the Superdish, they are held with these same 4 bolts.

Thanks for that info, rspatz, and welcome to the forum!

If you, or someone else, has a picture of
the described Superdish LNB, please post it. I've tried Googling but am unsure of exactly what I am looking for/at. :)

If you, or someone else, has a picture of
the described Superdish LNB, please post it. I've tried Googling but am unsure of exactly what I am looking for/at. :)

Hey, just go to your friendly Sadoun website and you will find one :D

Here it is:

We have a few left on sale.

Hey, just go to your friendly Sadoun website and you will find one :D

Here it is:

We have a few left on sale.

Thanks for the pic, Sadoun, rspatz described it very well, now I know what to look for! Do you sell that LNB ala carte, or just as part of the larger assembly?

I don't recall ever seeing a DN setup like that locally, maybe one of the SatGuys has a huge pile of those laying around and would want to get rid of one? ;)

Been their an done it.

No it will not bolt to a C120 flange, with all 4 bolts, only 2-bolts. have that same type odu unite here, an pop off that scalar an re-drilled it to accept a 120 flange lnb when I was setting up my 1.2m dish here. an it work well but a channel master feed really work a little better, so that is what I am using now. but I am a big beleiver in scalar rings on dishes, they will help any dish perform better when you use the right scalar with the right dish. so I would recomend using it, but play with some other ku-scalars at the same time, but remember to use the same lnb when playing with different scalars, because 1 lnb may be a little hoter than a other. an this is where a CtoN or a StoN meter is really helpfull.

now you may find that the lnb on the ODU, is made by "JapanRadio", an on mine here it was a .7db 100khz, which is a very good lnb. now on some of those style lnb on the ODU will have a small metal plate right inside it wave guide, if you'res has it just pop it out (only snaps in), that was meant to notch their freq that they where using on the receive end.

Been their an done it.

No it will not bolt to a C120 flange, with all 4 bolts, only 2-bolts. have that same type odu unite here, an pop off that scalar an re-drilled it to accept a 120 flange lnb when I was setting up my 1.2m dish here. an it work well but a channel master feed really work a little better, so that is what I am using now. but I am a big beleiver in scalar rings on dishes, they will help any dish perform better when you use the right scalar with the right dish. so I would recomend using it, but play with some other ku-scalars at the same time, but remember to use the same lnb when playing with different scalars, because 1 lnb may be a little hoter than a other. an this is where a CtoN or a StoN meter is really helpfull.

now you may find that the lnb on the ODU, is made by "JapanRadio", an on mine here it was a .7db 100khz, which is a very good lnb. now on some of those style lnb on the ODU will have a small metal plate right inside it wave guide, if you'res has it just pop it out (only snaps in), that was meant to notch their freq that they where using on the receive end.

Thanks for that info Captain, been in Memphis for 3 days so I'm just catching up on the satellite capers.

I maybe overthinking this whole deal, I guess I could put any LNBF on there (like one of my Techsat Tracker II's), and it might work well, but I figured that little scalar piece was optimal for that dish, so if I could breed a dual-polarity voltage-switched LNB onto it, it should perform well.

A couple questions....what do you mean by "ODU"?

And, does anyone have any idea what the offset angle and f/d ratio might be on this dish?

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)