ProgDvb 4:2:2 Record MPG to DVD Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

djh69734

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
I'm not sure if this has been asked here before, so I like to throw this out there. I've done a little searching and haven't come up with a whole lot. I am using a Twinhan VP1020A PCI Sat card, along with ProgDVB. I've recorded several things in 4:2:2 using ProgDVB. The version of ProgDVB I have is 4.55. It records great, and has crystal clear quality. The recordings I have done have an MPG extension. The problem is that the only player I can get them to play in is the ProgDVB program itself. If I bring the MPG up in any other player, like WMP for example, it plays one frame and stops. I tried different programs to try and convert the MPG to AVI but haven't had much luck. I'm my reading, I've also read where you need to patch the file to make it DVD compliant. I did that with a program called DVDPatcher, and then tried TMPGenc to convert it with no success. I also tried a program called PVAStrumento. When using that program, I could load the file, and try to convert, but when I did, the program would just exit without trying to convert it. I've also tried other misc MPG to AVI conversion programs with no success as well. Has anyone been able to take an MPG made with ProgDVB 4.55, convert it somehow, and then burn it to DVD? I don't think I'll have a problem burning it to DVD, it's just getting it from the format it's in, to a format that I can author a DVD with that's the issue. I tried searching for a program that could convert Elecard MPG files (these files are in 4:2:2 and probably use the Elecard codec in ProgDVB), but had no luck. I probably haven't completely exhausted reading and searching, but I've searched for a couple of nights and haven't found a whole lot, so the frustration is starting to kick in. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

djh

djh69734 said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked here before, so I like to throw this out there. I've done a little searching and haven't come up with a whole lot. I am using a Twinhan VP1020A PCI Sat card, along with ProgDVB. I've recorded several things in 4:2:2 using ProgDVB. The version of ProgDVB I have is 4.55. It records great, and has crystal clear quality. The recordings I have done have an MPG extension. The problem is that the only player I can get them to play in is the ProgDVB program itself. If I bring the MPG up in any other player, like WMP for example, it plays one frame and stops. I tried different programs to try and convert the MPG to AVI but haven't had much luck. I'm my reading, I've also read where you need to patch the file to make it DVD compliant. I did that with a program called DVDPatcher, and then tried TMPGenc to convert it with no success. I also tried a program called PVAStrumento. When using that program, I could load the file, and try to convert, but when I did, the program would just exit without trying to convert it. I've also tried other misc MPG to AVI conversion programs with no success as well. Has anyone been able to take an MPG made with ProgDVB 4.55, convert it somehow, and then burn it to DVD? I don't think I'll have a problem burning it to DVD, it's just getting it from the format it's in, to a format that I can author a DVD with that's the issue. I tried searching for a program that could convert Elecard MPG files (these files are in 4:2:2 and probably use the Elecard codec in ProgDVB), but had no luck. I probably haven't completely exhausted reading and searching, but I've searched for a couple of nights and haven't found a whole lot, so the frustration is starting to kick in. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

djh

I have used the main concepts Mpeg encoder that came with some Dazzle video software I bought and converted 4:2:2 to 4:2:0(I used the dshow filter and made a graph in graph edit) also I tried VLC and it can transcode 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 but it was set at 3 mbps for the bit rate. I have not tried using VLC for transcoding lately so I am not sure if you can transcode at higher bit rates but the program is free.

I am out of comission with my card, so if you guys wanted to send me a clip of 4:2:2, I can try it with TMPGEnc to see if it will do it. I am interested in this to do the NBC Monday night shows off to DVD because the quality of our local NBC is HORRIBLE on Directv.

Thanks for your responses. I've loaded VLC, and can get the 4:2:2 video to play. I've played around with the settings a little as far as transcoding and encapsulation, but haven't quite figured it out yet.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I go to File | Wizard and choose Streaming Transcoding Wizard
2. I choose Transcode/Save to file
3. I choose Select a stream, and then choose the MPG file from ProgDVB in question.
4. I then click Next go get to the "Transcode" screen. I then don't know what to pick here. I've tried "MPEG 2 Video" with a 3072 bitrate, and for audio, I chose MPEG audio at 192.
5. On the encapsulation format screen, I choose MPEG-TS, then click next.
6. I then type the name of the output file and click Finish.

The progress slidebar starts off a little slow, but then just stops at various times. Mixing transcoding/encapsulation settings, I've been able to re-encode without the slidebar freezing, but the output file isn't playable. For you VLC users, do you know of the right combination of settings to make a good MPG file out of the ProgDVB based MPG file?

If there's a program out there that you can just say "open this ProgDVB MPG file and convert to a VOB that can be burned to CD", that would be good too. Seems like there probably is, but the ones I've found so far haven't helped because they can't recognize the ProgDVB MPG file. I've also tried TMPGEnc with no success. The file plays fine in ProgDVB itself, and VLC.

Again, thanks for the help and the responses.

djh

Just found ReVue. I'll take a look and see if it will help. Thanks dfergie.

Thanks. RTVEDIT doesn't like the format of the MPG when using ReVue. It gives the error Unsupported stream_id:0F. I guess I'll let this ride for now. If anyone knows exactly how to convert these 4:2:2 MPG files to something that can be burned to DVD, please let me know. You can even PM me if you'd like.

You are not alone.

Is that a hi-def transport stream?
If so, or even if not, the editor VideoReDo will most likely let you strip out the audio and video stream you choose, edit it, save it in mpeg (or transport stream with or without nulls), which shouldn't then give your following programs such indigestion.
A full functional 2-week eval copy is available from the company.
Join their forum for support.
They are very pro-active about resolving any digital stream format that seems at all popular.

They also have a built-in utility called QuickStreamFix which will also strip/fix/extract the streams you choose, without editing.

After the extraction and editing, you can then most likely send the .mpg to Tempg, Nero package, or other agressive authoring programs, which will reencode to DVD format.

Personally, I have extracted hi-def streams, run 'em through WinAVI Video Converter to convert to DVD format and then burned DVDs from 'em.

There are multiple solutions to this problem. You are not alone! ;)

Hey thanks Anole. I stayed up really late last night working with this. I don't like stuff like this to get the best of me. Seems like lots of users use ProgDVB to record from and would have probably mastered this already. I like learning though, so as soon as I master this, I'm going to post my results so I can help others...

I see you edited your post. ;)

Well, I read the VideoReDo forum 99%.
Womble users have come looking for something better.
Some have been cursing upon arrival.

VideoReDo will let you pick your picture and sound stream, edit them, and save in more formats than you knew were possible.
I would think most folks would save as .mpg, but I save as .mpa and .mpv (audio and video) because the authoring program I use (DVD Labs) breaks .mpg into audio and video files as its first step.
Turns out, VideoReDo can save faster in .mpa/mpv than DVDL can convert, so I save a couple of minutes (maybe 5..8)

Looking forward to your next chapter.
But this is well known ground, so there are plenty of ways to skin your cat.!.

PS: it's common for folks to have lip-synch problems.
VideoReDo doesn't cause any, it auto-avoids them, and if you still have some, it has adjustments to restore your synch.
Bad editors, bad demuxers and muxers, and bad authoring programs are all culprits.
(and sometimes it's the broadcaster)

Well....I'm getting close...I think.

Here's what I did after looking at the previous replies and doing lots of reading.

1. Made a copy of the original MPG file and Ran DVDPatcher. When ProgDVB records an MPG, it records it as 704x480. I used DVDPatcher to make it 720x480 which would allow it to be DVD compliant. Also bumped down the bitrate to 8000 as well to make it DVD compliant (it's an option in the program). Also, I patched only the header and not the whole file. Tried the whole file one time before and it didn't work.

2. Ran Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard and was able to demux the elementary files. Made a MPV for the video, and an MPA for the audio.

3. Ran BeSweet to convert the MPA file to an AC3 file. For some reason IFOEdit didn't like the MPA file when I tested before.

4. Ran IFOEdit and muxed the MPV and AC3 file together. I then renamed the VOB file it created to MPG and was able to play it in VLC. Video and Audio were in sync perfectly.

5. Ran Cucusoft MPEG to DVD Burner and burned the DVD. With this software, you pretty much just open an MPG in the software, then it's makes the DVD hierarchy for you and then burns the DVD. After burning, I went into VLC and it could play the DVD just fine from my Sony DVD player in my PC.

6. Ok...time for the real test. I stuck the DVD in my Lite-On DVD/Hard Disk player, and it wouldn't play it. It spun in it for a second, and then said no disc. "Great"....I thought. Then I stuck it in my Xbox. The Xbox played about two frames of it, then the picture froze. This same 1 or 2 frames, then freezing, happened as well on my PC when I used some piece of software (I forget the name), to attempt to try and convert it without doing any demux/remux.

Man that frozen picture was crystal clear. So what am I doing wrong here? I feel like I'm so close to getting this right, especially after seeing it on the Xbox like I did. It almost seems like I've got a codec on my PC that's not built into my Lite-On or the XBOX or something. I don't have a clue, I'm new at this so I'm learning.

Any more advice would be appreciated. After a few more replies, I'll let this thread go. Thanks to all who have replied.

djh

djh69734 said:
Well....I'm getting close...I think.

Here's what I did after looking at the previous replies and doing lots of reading.

1. Made a copy of the original MPG file and Ran DVDPatcher. When ProgDVB records an MPG, it records it as 704x480. I used DVDPatcher to make it 720x480 which would allow it to be DVD compliant. Also bumped down the bitrate to 8000 as well to make it DVD compliant (it's an option in the program). Also, I patched only the header and not the whole file. Tried the whole file one time before and it didn't work.

2. Ran Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard and was able to demux the elementary files. Made a MPV for the video, and an MPA for the audio.

3. Ran BeSweet to convert the MPA file to an AC3 file. For some reason IFOEdit didn't like the MPA file when I tested before.

4. Ran IFOEdit and muxed the MPV and AC3 file together. I then renamed the VOB file it created to MPG and was able to play it in VLC. Video and Audio were in sync perfectly.

5. Ran Cucusoft MPEG to DVD Burner and burned the DVD. With this software, you pretty much just open an MPG in the software, then it's makes the DVD hierarchy for you and then burns the DVD. After burning, I went into VLC and it could play the DVD just fine from my Sony DVD player in my PC.

6. Ok...time for the real test. I stuck the DVD in my Lite-On DVD/Hard Disk player, and it wouldn't play it. It spun in it for a second, and then said no disc. "Great"....I thought. Then I stuck it in my Xbox. The Xbox played about two frames of it, then the picture froze. This same 1 or 2 frames, then freezing, happened as well on my PC when I used some piece of software (I forget the name), to attempt to try and convert it without doing any demux/remux.

Man that frozen picture was crystal clear. So what am I doing wrong here? I feel like I'm so close to getting this right, especially after seeing it on the Xbox like I did. It almost seems like I've got a codec on my PC that's not built into my Lite-On or the XBOX or something. I don't have a clue, I'm new at this so I'm learning.

Any more advice would be appreciated. After a few more replies, I'll let this thread go. Thanks to all who have replied.

djh

I have a DVD burner that came with the Nero Suite of programs . I use Nero Vision Express to convert from my mpg's to DVD .

Wyr

dfergie said:
Nero won't touch it? How about burning as a data file and trying an Apex or cyberhome dvd player that plays mpeg? Also there is womble... another program Replayers use(I have not tried)

Could you please tell me which models of the Apex and Cyberhome players work with mpg's ?

Could you please PM that to me , in case I can not find this post agein ?

Thank you ,
Wyr

UPDATE:

It looks like the problem is that the MPG is in 4:2:2. Wyr, could you confirm whether or not you can take a program that was recorded in 4:2:2 and put it off to DVD? I can take a 4:2:0 MPG from ProgDVB, run it through patching/demuxing/remuxing/authoring to DVD fine, but not 4:2:2. The best test that I did with this played audio on my Lite-On LVD 5045 player, but the video was garbled just like it looks when my STB tunes in a channel on 4:2:2. I've seen a few DOS app programs out there that try to convert 4:2:2 to 4:2:0, and have tried them, but didn't have luck with them. I think once I can get an MPG converted from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0, then I'll be able to put the MPG video on DVD just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts