Projector vs tv?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
As some know, Im hunting a new TV for July.

Prob down between a higher end DLP or Plasma.

My original plan was a projector, but I was a little hesitant because Ill be renting a home for 2 years.

How would you guys rate a nice projection unit against a 50-60" tv? If I did go projection it'd be used for everything(sat/cable/Bluray/DVD). In a rental Id prob have to set it up behind me on a stand, so Im guessing the logical is to set the dvr and bd player behind me with it. Only PITA would be the speaker cable runs.

Or should I just wait until I buy and run it all in the ceiling?

Any pro's or cons going into projection I need to know?

LCD vs DLP?

Optoma - DMD DLP HD Home Theater Projector - HD80

This would prob be my victim, unless 1080p is not needed. I assume it would be. This would be my other choice:

Optoma - DLP HD Home Theater Projector - HD65

Thanks for any pointers in advance.

As of last night there was a low hour HC 4900 1080p LCd on AVS classifieds for $1249!

Projector makes more sense. Easy to move, you EXPERIENCE TV instead of WATCHING TV.

You can buy extended lamp warranties online really cheap.

I'd much rather go 106" for under a grand (HC1500) than ANY TV set.

Of course with front projector's, light control is very important. If that isn't a problem, I would chose a projector over a large TV any day. It may also end up being a cheaper and easier to move solution in the long run too.

I have the Epson PowerLite HC 400 (720p) Proj and got it for under $895 six months ago. I have never watched a movie upstairs on my plasma since. A nice projector setup is truly the only way IMO to create the immersion feeling previously exclusive to the public theater....

Light control is an important issue for under priced under performing projectors. If you know what you need and don't shop by price alone; light control of a bright room will not be the end-all issue. Projectors are by far the best value and offer the REAL home theater experience.

I disagree with the above poster. Even though there are plenty of projectors out there that have plenty of power to work in a well lit room (my Epson included), let's face it, front projectors will never have the type of contrast as Plasmas or rear projection sets in that type of surrounding, no matter how much you spend. It's all in the design of the type of display: Projectors project a beam of light onto a separate screen from across the room, therefore requiring light control in achieving the best image possible.

Of course there are compromises with any display, but I still would chose a projector over any other type of display, strictly for the value. It's just important for the OP to know the differences, advantages and limitations for what he's considering....

It also should be noted that one primary difference between LCD and DLP proj's is that LCD's offer much more flexible placement options as compared to DLP's.

I have a decently lit living room, but to be honest, I cant see worth a crap during the day on my RPLCD. With the Plasma I had, the glare stunk. Most of our stiff is watched in the evenings with the blinds shut. Movies are watched with the lights out.

I think aiming for a high ansi projector is part of the goal with a room that takes some light.

8bitbytes has some great pics of his 720p optoma shining on a screen right next to a window, looks good.

I guess I would wonder how annoying the projector is sitting behind you in the dark. Id assume the key is to have it slightly higher than your position.

I love my projector, but I wouldn't want to use it as my ONLY viewing source. I just use it for DVD's and occasional HDTV(football games, etc). SD cable and satellite will look bad on any projector. I don't know what you mean by, "how annoying the projector is sitting behind you in the dark". With the DLP's you listed, you would need to ceiling mount it or place it on a low table in front of you. If you want to place it on a shelf or stand, you need to get an LCD with lens shift.

I love my projector, but I wouldn't want to use it as my ONLY viewing source. I just use it for DVD's and occasional HDTV(football games, etc). SD cable and satellite will look bad on any projector. I don't know what you mean by, "how annoying the projector is sitting behind you in the dark". With the DLP's you listed, you would need to ceiling mount it or place it on a low table in front of you. If you want to place it on a shelf or stand, you need to get an LCD with lens shift.

Thanks, I read some more on it last night and figured this out. The Mitsu 4900 looks like an interesting unit.

My plan would be (since Im about to move and would rent for 2 years)is to put the pj on a shelf behind us on the wall. Prob put the AV gear there.

I guess I could always buy one REALLY long HDMI cable and put the gear over by the screen?

Light control is an important issue for under priced under performing projectors. If you know what you need and don't shop by price alone; light control of a bright room will not be the end-all issue. Projectors are by far the best value and offer the REAL home theater experience.

How do you like the Sanyo? Ive seen many guys on AVS with them.

Reasons to like projectors ;)

Attachments

• SS T2.JPG
    SS T2.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 231
  • SS superman.JPG
    SS superman.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 224
Nice!

To be honest, Im a little intimidated since Ive never done a projector before. With having to use a shelf, lcd is my choice. Im interested in the Mitsu 4900, the Sanyo's also seem to be very popular.

I guess my main concern is using it as my primary source. I need to make sure I get one that can handle daylight ok.

Having to buy a bulb or two every year at around $300-500 each adds up depending on how much television that you watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)