PS3 hookup problems

swade

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
The PS 3 does not recognize alternate connection when hooked up at different locations.

My older HD TV can not take HDMI but that is my hook up of choice on my upstairs projector.

As a game player down stars it uses Component hook up. When I go upstairs and hook up HDMI no go.

I'm told I have to return it to the basic AV connection and then take it upstairs and plug it in to a av connection on the projector and program the PS3 to recognize the HDMI and switch it to HDMI during the 30 second shift and save it watching the signal on to HDMI.

Is this how it has to be done? and after doing it once will I have to do this each time I sent up at a new location.

I find this a piece of junk. How dificult would it have been to automatically recognize each hook up like any other type of video device.

I can't believe this agrivation is unique to me but no one else is reporting any problems.

Can anyone fill me in on how to do this?

Answer here or use theh site email

Thanks. :eek:

PS 3 Problems

I have no problems moving mine. Just switch it to HDMI before you take it up there. I believe there is something in the display properties that will let you do that. Then cut the system off and move it.

You get to the set up for HDMI and it goes into 30 seconds when HDMI is suppose to be active and if it is working you are able to read where to say OK and save. Since I am not hooked up to HDMI at that point I can not save the setting as HDMI. It just won't let me. It just reverts back to Component.

If I could save it in HDMI setting and then exit out, I would be OK. Then I would be able to just to plug it in upstairs. It would be an annoynance to have to do this each time but workable and even this isn't do able. :confused:

To be truthly, I did not read the manual when I got my ps3. I wasn't thinking I had to connect it to the tv with composite cables. I took it out the box and connected it to my tv with a hdmi cable and it work. I remember the ps3 stating, I was connected with a hdmi connection and it ask will this be my connection and I selected yes. It automatic pick up the hdmi connection.

I had my ps3 sence launch day and I still today, don't remember seeing any info, saying you have to connect a composite to get the ps3 to work on hdmi.

I must be the luckiest consumer in the world. I buy so much electronics and I never have any problem with the items I buy.

You get to the set up for HDMI and it goes into 30 seconds when HDMI is suppose to be active and if it is working you are able to read where to say OK and save. Since I am not hooked up to HDMI at that point I can not save the setting as HDMI. It just won't let me. It just reverts back to Component.

If I could save it in HDMI setting and then exit out, I would be OK. Then I would be able to just to plug it in upstairs. It would be an annoynance to have to do this each time but workable and even this isn't do able. :confused:

Just move the Dpad over to the right once and press X. That will select ok and you will be in HDMI mode

Same problem.

Just move the Dpad over to the right once and press X. That will select ok and you will be in HDMI mode

read manual but no help.

After going to video output setup I chose the top item HDMI and it goes to a screen that you have to hit X which activates change. The screen just before it says if the setings don't take it will go black for a short time and return.

After hitting X (the only option other than returniing) the screen goes black and I hit the D button to the right as suggested and then hit X. All that happens is that the screen comes back saying it did not change and you go back to the choice screen.

I got the following from
http://www.us.playstation.com/content/sites/176/info/frame_hardware.html

You have to set the system to the original AV set up each time you change the system out put. I am having problems because I am trying to go from Componet directly to HMDI.

Notes

* If you wish to use the HDMI capabilities of the PlayStation®3, you must first setup the system using the included A/V cables. Follow the steps below to configure HDMI settings on the users PlayStation®3 system.

. After you select the button to “test” the display, the system will remain in the selected connection type for 30 sec.

At this time you should switch your television’s input from the AV input to the HDMI input.

If your television supports HDMI then you will see a screen asking to accept the setting.

If your television doesn’t support HDMI, the television will display a black screen to which you will wait the 30 seconds until the PlayStation®3 reverts back to the original setting.

You go to the left arrow key which moves it from the no (default) to the YES and hit enter ( X button) and that should do it. I'll try tomorrow.

I thought the earlier message was the right key then X.

Even if this works what a pain n the neck. :hatsoff:

Last edited:
read manual but no help.

After going to video output setup I chose the top item HDMI and it goes to a screen that you have to hit X which activates change. The screen just before it says if the setings don't take it will go black for a short time and return.

After hitting X (the only option other than returniing) the screen goes black and I hit the D button to the right as suggested and then hit X. All that happens is that the screen comes back saying it did not change and you go back to the choice screen.

I got the following from
http://www.us.playstation.com/content/sites/176/info/frame_hardware.html

You have to set the system to the original AV set up each time you change the system out put. I am having problems because I am trying to go from Componet directly to HMDI.

Notes

* If you wish to use the HDMI capabilities of the PlayStation®3, you must first setup the system using the included A/V cables. Follow the steps below to configure HDMI settings on the users PlayStation®3 system.

. After you select the button to “test” the display, the system will remain in the selected connection type for 30 sec.

At this time you should switch your television’s input from the AV input to the HDMI input.

If your television supports HDMI then you will see a screen asking to accept the setting.

If your television doesn’t support HDMI, the television will display a black screen to which you will wait the 30 seconds until the PlayStation®3 reverts back to the original setting.

You go to the left arrow key which moves it from the no (default) to the YES and hit enter ( X button) and that should do it. I'll try tomorrow.

I thought the earlier message was the right key then X.

Even if this works what a pain n the neck. :hatsoff:

Sorry I did think it was to the right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)