PS3 reached it's apex already?

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
I stopped in a gamestop today and there were 2 people returning PS3's, and folks hadn't even gotten off work yet! (4:30) The employee said they were returns #6 and 7 today AND 2 people had TRADED IN THEIR USED SYSTEMS TODAY!

Obviously sales numbers were inflated by speculators. If the 360 sold 600,000 units by Christmas last year and weren't really available in stores until March what does this say about the PS3? On craigslist there are a bunch of PS3 listings for retail. I decided to call a few of them and nearly every one hadn't received a single phone call!

I'm not a console gamer but it appears Sony is really getting their butts kicked by the Wii due to the exorbatant price of the PS3 and Wii's revolutionary game play.

You've got to be a total moron to buy Sony stock IMHO, PS3's are everywhere 1 month after launch, and not selling now.

Good, folks who really did not want a PS3 but were hoping to pull some fast bucks from folks who could not wait are the loosers here. Sony has been delivering PS3's in good quantities to everyone this week. Need to pay high prices on E-Bay and Craig's List are not neccesary. Just go to Circuit City, Best Buy, Toys-R-Us (they are even advertising thousands of PS3s for sale this Friday) is the handwritting on the wall for price gougers. This is a good thing.

And for those who do not like their PS3 get a XBOX360 and enjoy. Merry Christmas

You've got to be a total moron to buy Sony stock IMHO, PS3's are everywhere 1 month after launch, and not selling now.

Sonys stock went down after the recall, I believe it went from 41 to 35, but currently it is at 43. Also it seems that the mad crazy whatever you want to call it is over, as Sony is starting to get these things in the Stores now and that is what is driving the prices down.....Same thing has happened to every system that has been released (including the 360, I could have gotten a used one here in ohio 3 weeks after it was released) as remember when a system is released there are no games and people get bored quickly, March is shaping up to be a very good month....Also I think Joe hit it on the head, some of these returns are people who didnt want a Ps3, but instead wanted to make extra money, and are now seeing Sony release the Ps3 at a pretty good rate.

Sonys stock went down after the recall, I believe it went from 41 to 35, but currently it is at 43. Also it seems that the mad crazy whatever you want to call it is over, as Sony is starting to get these things in the Stores now and that is what is driving the prices down.....Same thing has happened to every system that has been released (including the 360, I could have gotten a used one here in ohio 3 weeks after it was released) as remember when a system is released there are no games and people get bored quickly, March is shaping up to be a very good month....Also I think Joe hit it on the head, some of these returns are people who didnt want a Ps3, but instead wanted to make extra money, and are now seeing Sony release the Ps3 at a pretty good rate.

I think the point was that the PS3 seems to have hit the apex much earlier (in volume) than the 360 and the Wii (by far). By all accounts I have seen the Wii has sold over twice as many units and is still selling over retail. Sony has certainly lost the Christmas war but it remains to see how well they all fair once more games come out and people save up for the high price tag.

5 Things That Went From Buzz to Bust

TO PLAY'S THE THING

The big story in computer games this year was HOW TO BLOW A HUGE LEAD, by Sony. Its PlayStation 2 was the champ in the last round of the console wars. This time Sony bet on a chip called the Cell and a disc format called Blu-ray. They're probably awesome, but how would anybody know? The PS3 is hideously expensive--it goes for up to $600--and Sony manufactured only a piddling few hundred thousand for the U.S., fewer for Japan. Plus it's hard to write games for; the launch titles were lame. You know you're in trouble when you get beat by something called a Wii.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570831,00.html

When Time is calling you out that has a to be a pretty bad sign. The negative press is starting to kill them but Sony gave them a big head start. Turn the spin machine on Overdrive guys cause you are going to need it. The truth will hurt but only cause you've had your head in the sand for so long.

Here at work we have a Ebay type internal auction site for the 30,000 employees company wide, and we even have 4 PS3's right now selling between 500-800 dollars. But each one comes with 2 or 3 games. Not good for Sony if people are not willing to keep there systems and returning them.

I remember last year I got 3 core lauch 360's and and 3 premiums on the 2nd shipment. I put the 3 cores up on the work auction site and sold each one for 500 without any games.

So what's the deal with the PS3? Games are not as good, graphically, as the 360? Or are they basically the same and people don't want to shell out the extra bucks for the PS3?

So what's the deal with the PS3? Games are not as good, graphically, as the 360? Or are they basically the same and people don't want to shell out the extra bucks for the PS3?

they are pretty much the same. i figure they are those that cant sell them on ebay for the price they want, and the fact that many people don't like the necessary addition of Blu-Ray to the PS3

It is amazing to see how cheeply they are selling on Ebay already. You can get the $600 version for less than $600. They funny thing is that the PS3 really is a decent value if you actually want all that it provides. I'd buy one if I was the sort of person to spend that kind of money on a game system and/or a DVD player. (I have a 360, but I got it for free.)

I was at sams club yesterday and they announced they had received a shipment of PS3s and Wiis and they were in the electronics department. I went over to check out the action and while people where snagging the Wiis pretty quickly 6 60gb PS3s just sat there. We walked around that store for an hour or so and i went back to check and they were all still there and the 10 Wiis were gone. My wife wanted to buy one and sell it on ebay, till I told her they were barely going for retail on Ebay.

I was at sams club yesterday and they announced they had received a shipment of PS3s and Wiis and they were in the electronics department. I went over to check out the action and while people where snagging the Wiis pretty quickly 6 60gb PS3s just sat there. We walked around that store for an hour or so and i went back to check and they were all still there and the 10 Wiis were gone. My wife wanted to buy one and sell it on ebay, till I told her they were barely going for retail on Ebay.

thats rare, I must say as I have been at several stores in the last week, and the Ps3's didnt even make it into the display case.

I just got back from Walmart, they had 1 60G PS3 in the case. I don't know how long it's been there, but I was really surprised to see one on Christmas eve.

The lady at Walmart who I spoke with last night said that they have recieved 4 shipments since launch. This is in Halifax, VA, the smallest town known to man. We have a walmart, applebees, and lowes and that's it. Launch shipment was 8 or 10, then they got 6, then 4, then 8, then 6 on the 23rd. They sold them all, and had one left which my aunt picked up last night for my cousin. The look on his face when he opened it tonight was PRICELESS. He had NO IDEA.

So Sony is getting these consoles out there, much better than M$ did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts