PS3 Remote makes movie watching a breeze.

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I purchased the new bluetooth PS3 Remote on December 21st when it came out. Since my wife had my PS3 under the tree until Christmas I had to wait to use it. After downloading all the upgrades it took exactly 15 seconds to get the remote to work. You just go to the bluetooth screen and push the start and playstation buttons and voila, your remote starts working.

This thing is fast. Faster then my Denon 3910 remote. Acutually the PS3 is faster then my Denon3910 period. I just have to get use to the button layout but when you press a button your request is almost seemless. Response time is very fast. It has all the functionallity of my Denon3910 remote and they all work well. One thing I really like is not having to be in the line of site for it to work. The remote works no matter which way I am pointing it or where I am sitting in the room. I really like that.

I would highly recomend the PS3 as a BluRay player to an early adopter providing you also get the bluetooth remote. The remote is only $24.99 and you can get the 20gb PS3 for $499.00. A PS3 componet cable or good HDMI cable will cost you $59.00 or less. Total of $582.99 which is considerable less then the cheapest BD player I have found (Samsung for $670 on internet). And so far, after about 70 hours of use since Christmas I have had no problems with my PS3 either watching movies or gaming. Maybe I just got a good one - or maybe the PS3 is just well built. Bottom line, I am very satisfied with the purchase and have been really enjoying all the system has to offer. Hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about the PS3 as a BluRay player -- it really does do a very nice job.:D

I will probably get one. I really don't mind using one on the PS3 controllers. I just wish my Harmony remotes had bluetooth also. I wish all of my audio and video where bluetooth!

Bottom line, I am very satisfied with the purchase and have been really enjoying all the system has to offer. Hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about the PS3 as a BluRay player -- it really does do a very nice job.:D

I'm shocked at your glowing review. You were the biggest PS3 skeptic here! What changed your mind?:D I'm sure it's a good BD player and it couldn't be any louder than a 360 but movie watching has been a breeze since the VCR.

I'm shocked at your glowing review. You were the biggest PS3 skeptic here! What changed your mind?:D I'm sure it's a good BD player and it couldn't be any louder than a 360 but movie watching has been a breeze since the VCR.

Posty, I would assume he is comparing using a remote (the Ps3 remote) vs using a BD remote, just a guess could be wrong, happy new year by the way.

The HD-DVD add on remote is very similar but includes a console power button which I don't see on the Sony. For either system I think a remote is a very useful item to access all the nice advanced features. Mine was included with the 360 add-on. I wouldn't have bought it but can't imagine being without it now. I had seen one of the BD players for $499 (on sale from $899)on Amazon last week. If PS3's are going to be on the market for retail they have to be the de facto choice until stand alones get closer to $300.

The HD-DVD add on remote is very similar but includes a console power button which I don't see on the Sony.

The photo that I saw shows the remote with a Playstation symboled button in the center of the remote. This button is what is used to turn the system on and off.

The photo that I saw shows the remote with a Playstation symboled button in the center of the remote. This button is what is used to turn the system on and off.

In that sense the 360 remote has 2 on/off switches. The "Guide" button which brings up the shut down menu and a direct one touch on/off for the entire console. I'm not trying to pick apart the ps3 remote or anything. It's just a nice feature on the 360 remote which isn't available just using the 360 controllers.

That is a nice feature. The main problem that I have with the 360 remote is that if you have the HD DVD drive, the eject button on the remote will only open the main tray. You have to manually open the HD drive or go into the dashboard and select the eject option for that drive.

There is always a downfall to everything. You just need to look to see what options you need in the product. Not having a direct power button on the remote is a very minor issue in my book.

That is a nice feature. The main problem that I have with the 360 remote is that if you have the HD DVD drive, the eject button on the remote will only open the main tray. You have to manually open the HD drive or go into the dashboard and select the eject option for that drive.

There is always a downfall to everything. You just need to look to see what options you need in the product. Not having a direct power button on the remote is a very minor issue in my book.

Agreed on both fronts. A very minor issue in the grand scheme.

HD-A1 problem.....

Commerical Software available to rip HD-DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)