PS3 security broken for good?

These are bizarre times we live in epitomized by the generation of entailment, where everyone thinks they are entitled to certain things and things should be done the way they want. Narcissism and childish behavior are not only allowed, but often encouraged.

I am sorry that Sony is providing a free service, one which they do not have to do. This is Sony's service and they have to right to set it up how they want and you have the right to choose to use it or not. Nobody is entitled to break in, rob, steal, or create havoc, a very childish and immature act, because Sony (the adult) decided the change the rules. What is even worse is there are people who justify such actions.

I am sorry, stealing and breaking and entering are not considered art.

This breach was akin to that bank leaving the money on the sidewalk and not a vault though. Sony would have had difficulty getting FDIC insurance with how lax their security apparently was and had we known that many including myself would not have put our money in.

In this case, I don't really care about the bank robbers, I'm more concerned about my assets that Sony put at risk due to their negligence.

This breach was akin to that bank leaving the money on the sidewalk and not a vault though. Sony would have had difficulty getting FDIC insurance with how lax their security apparently was and had we known that many including myself would not have put our money in.

In this case, I don't really care about the bank robbers, I'm more concerned about my assets that Sony put at risk due to their negligence.
I don't disagree. My issue was the lack of blame for the hackers as well as the acceptance of their action. Of course Sony is to blame as well.

Just because a bank leaves money on the sidewalk it is still wrong to take it

Ouch...
Justifying an action is now worse than the action itself, eh...?
Legally? No
Morally speaking? Yes it is
Look, you (the child) has been taken away your favorite toy. And you are pi$$ed. I can understand that.
Now do a little mental gymnastics and imagine people for whom Linux in the PS3 was the favorite toy.
But unlike you, they know how to take revenge...:)

Diogen.
Exactly. Childish behavior signified by the lack of understanding or impact it has on others besides just that which you are targeting, due to them not continuing to get for free what they thought they were entitled to. That is the very definition of narcissism and childish behavior.

I would be upset as well, but it in no way justifies attempting to destroy that which was providing you this free service (which if you did you will no longer be receiving any service at all), especially at the expense of millions of others who have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in theoretical discussions: they never have an end. Let's agree to disagree.

In practical terms, Sony is doing its best to shift the blame to minimize subscribers departure. Business as usual.
I don't think any of the hackers will be caught. Even more, I don't think anybody is looking for them.
All this righteous posturing, FBI, external security companies etc. is just for show and going nowhere.
Is anybody talking about HBGary hack lately? And that one had DoD involved.
And one schmuck even claimed he knows who the hackers are...

When Adobe got involved in the case against Elcomsoft (for whole 2 days! and regret ever since),
Jerry Pournelle of BYTE fame made a prediction that hackers would consider it their duty to hack every
Adobe software package going forward. And that is the "state of affairs" ever since...

Diogen.

I'm not really interested in theoretical discussions: they never have an end. Let's agree to disagree.

In practical terms, Sony is doing its best to shift the blame to minimize subscribers departure. Business as usual.
I don't think any of the hackers will be caught. Even more, I don't think anybody is looking for them.
All this righteous posturing, FBI, external security companies etc. is just for show and going nowhere.
Is anybody talking about HBGary hack lately? And that one had DoD involved.
And one schmuck even claimed he knows who the hackers are...

When Adobe got involved in the case against Elcomsoft (for whole 2 days! and regret ever since),
Jerry Pournelle of BYTE fame made a prediction that hackers would consider it their duty to hack every
Adobe software package going forward. And that is the "state of affairs" ever since...

Diogen.
I don't disagree with most of what you stated. Our only disagreement pertains to the hackers themselves

Blaming Sony for getting hacked is like blaming an attractive woman, who got drunk at a frat party, for getting raped by the guy she just dumped.

Was she careless and put herself in a bad position? --Yes.

Did she deserve to get raped. --No.

Should she be more careful in the future? --Certainly.

Should the guy who raped her be excused for his actions because his "favorite toy" was taken away when she dumped him? --How you answer that last question probably says a lot about the kind of person you are.

No doubt. That is like solely blaming a bank that gets robbed due to lack of security and not blaming the robbers at all

I thought it more akin to blaming a rape victim for dressing provacatively.
The hacking was and still is a crime, no matter how the hackers try to jusitify it, they're still criminals.

Also own a Wii, though I'm not sure it's been turned on since early 2010. Our PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player in the house, also picked up LA Noir for it. FWIW it plays more BD titles than my 360 plays games. Most of my gaming is done on my PC these days.

Doesn't mean Sony gets a free pass for exposing my information unnecessarily. Not every thread you disagree with is related to the console wars, sorry. If it's not hackers it's 'Xbox fanboys', some of you guys will pull out all the stops to simply ignore Sony's negligence in this.

Here's to hoping the pending lawsuits expose exactly how incompetent they are, so that it's proven this distrust is well placed. I don't know how accurate reports of their insecurity are, but they haven't exactly done anything to deny it.

I too am not into the XBox vs PS3 war since I do not game at all. It makes no difference to me which one is the best gaming console. I got a PS3 because at the time it was the best Blu-Ray player on the market and less expensive than the high end stand alone players. Now with the added bonus I get to watch my MLB.TV through it as well (which is now my primary use of this device).

I am upset at both Sony and the Hacker, but feel the blame is mostly on those whom actually do the illegal act. His actions and Sony's lack of security made it so I could not watch MLB.TV through my PS3 for about a month (the primary use of my PS3)

I'm not ignoring Sony and what they have done. But fact is that the PS3 was secure for years. It was only when Geohot did what he did that it became a problem. And everyone knows even if Linux was still part of the PS3 Geohot still would have hacked it and released the information. Do any of you believe his motives was only to get Linux back on the PS3?
'

And to add insult to injury, Xbox-360 stats are looking much better than PS3's
Xbox 360 sales soar as Microsoft prepares to announce LIVE TV service

5793291459_39e86d38b9_o.jpg

Diogen.

So? Why does it matter which device does better? There are things that each one can do that the other cannot. It is those things that attract people to each particular device

Hmmm... Let me think... How about this:
After over a month the PS network not only does not make money, but is bleeding it;
after a botched attempt to find a guinea pig for the PSN hack ends in spectacular failure;
after other Sony properties demonstrate a complete incompetence in running MySQL...

After all this is turns out its competitor is on the upswing.

It has been reported some years ago: mature "professional" gamers make a small fraction of a console revenue.
And only this group stays loyal to the chosen brand. The chances that a new customer will chose PS over Xbox
is smaller today than it was two months ago...

Diogen.

diogen said:
Hmmm... Let me think... How about this:
After over a month the PS network not only does not make money, but is bleeding it;
after a botched attempt to find a guinea pig for the PSN hack ends in spectacular failure;
after other Sony properties demonstrate a complete incompetence in running MySQL...

After all this is turns out its competitor is on the upswing.

It has been reported some years ago: mature "professional" gamers make a small fraction of a console revenue.
And only this group stays loyal to the chosen brand. The chances that a new customer will chose PS over Xbox
is smaller today than it was two months ago...

Diogen.

Why don't you start a new thread about how much you hate PS/Sony. That way you can have your own soap box all to your self.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts