PS4 Owners Thread

I'm curious about that game myself based on gameplay footage I've seen, though I've never played a basketball video game... at least not since the Atari 2600. :p

And don't forget your PS3-PS4 cross-buy games, if you own them: Flow, Flower, Escape Plan, and Sound Shapes.

As of yesterday's store update, Flower is also now available for Vita as a cross-buy. I tried out the first level last night and really enjoyed it. It's been four years since I played Flower, so it's nice to revisit it. Still holds up.

I think the only one I have on that list is Escape Plan.

So here are some thoughts on what maters most... Games! First I want to say that games install and update much faster than they did on PS3. The load times are also much quicker. Going to the dashboard and back into a game is instant now with no loading in between. I don't know if this is true if you switch games because both the ones I played were disk based so I had to get up to switch them.

Killzone was the first game I played. I went straight into multiplayer for about 45 minutes because I was curious to see how many people were playing. The servers were obviously pretty bare. It was only able to find me 1 game with other people in it and there was only 8 of us playing when the match is designed for 24. It was still fun though. The game type we played was actually a round based system that switched between game types for each point until one team gets to a set number. It's also class based with different gun types and OWL features based on which class you choose. The maps were too big for the amount of players we had but I think this will be a lot of fun once the servers are full.

Next I played the first two hours or so of Killzone's campaign. First, it's very pretty. This is a huge leap forward from the PS3/360. If you are a PC gamer this won't blow your mind. This would still be a very pretty PC game but other games on that platform are similar graphically. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great. This is especially true if you only play on consoles. The most noticeable improvement over last gen is the lighting and shadows. So far this feels like a fun a FPS with pretty decent voice acting but it's still to early to really make a judgement on it. From what I can tell so far, I don't think shooter fans will regret making this their first next gen game.

I also played Knack for about an hour. For this I decided to try out remote play on the Vita because I was curious about how well this would work. My PS4 is connected via gigabit ethernet and the Vita was connected via wireless N WiFi. There are two options for connection. You can use your home LAN or it can connect directly to the PS4 via its internal WiFi radio. I chose the LAN option because I assume the WiFi antenna in my AirPort Extreme is stronger than the PS4's internal antenna. This is also the necessary connection method if you want to try remote play outside your home network. They say this works but it's not recommended unless you have a robust connection. They don't give any speed or latency numbers for their definition of robust. I will try from outside my network as soon as I get a chance but I don't think my connection will be strong enough. I have a 30/4 cable connection that is often closer to 50/5. I'm sure the download is high enough but I doubt 4Mb upload is fast enough to keep a reliable connection. There is also increased latency concern between the video and controls. I will test this and let people know how it works.

Remote play worked perfectly inside my LAN. There was no noticeable latency and Knack looked beautiful on the Vita's OLED screen. Control was simple too. R2/L2 and R3/L3 are mapped to the rear touch pad and all other controls are there natively on the Vita. Outside of the fact that no Vita games look this good I couldn't tell I wasn't playing a native Vita game. I moved all around my house and the connection stayed solid and smooth the whole time.

As for Knack itself, I like it so far. I'm not sure if this game becomes too repetitive or something later in the game but the first hour is fun. It feels like a solid mascot game from the PS1 era with fresh graphics. The reviews weren't favorable so maybe I haven't played enough to see the problems yet. This isn't the next Halo or Uncharted franchise but so far it is exactly what I expected from seeing all the preview coverage. It feels like a mascot game in the style of Crash or Spyro. I'm ok with that because those were my favorite games as a kid but maybe it scored poorly because games like that aren't in style anymore. Maybe my opinion will change as I play more but Knack isn't the disappointment the review scores had me ready for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just got the email that my PS4 camera shipped. I wasn't originally planning on getting this but once I didn't have to pay for the system I decided to check it out. It should be here tomorrow.

What's the word on your preorders. Have you guys received tracking info yet. I'm curious to see how smooth the preorder process is going.

I just got the email that my PS4 camera shipped. I wasn't originally planning on getting this but once I didn't have to pay for the system I decided to check it out. It should be here tomorrow. What's the word on your preorders. Have you guys received tracking info yet. I'm curious to see how smooth the preorder process is going.

Shipping via FEDEX. Be here tomorrow NLT 8 PM. Going to call them to change it to store pick up.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I did a little more testing last night. I tried to remote play from the PS4 at my house to my Vita at my parents house. Both houses are set up with Charter cable 30Mb download 4Mb upload internet in the same city. With everything configured automatically it would say searching for PS4 via internet for a few minutes and then tell me it couldn't find the system. I tried forwarding the recommended ports on Sony's website to see if that would fix the problem. Even with the ports forwarded it tells me it can't find the PS4 system over the internet. It does wake my PS4 from standby mode now that the ports are forwarded so I know it is making some kind of connection. Before I forwarded the ports it did not wake the system. The Vita still claims it can't locate the system though. I'm not sure if the system just isn't working yet or if the problem is my Airport Extreme router. The Airport doesn't support UPnP but the Sony website says routers without UPnP should work if the ports are forwarded. As of last night I haven't been able to find any evidence of anyone using remote play over the internet. I'm curious to see how it performs with a more standard, UPnP router. If that is the answer I will be picking up a new one and putting the Airport Extreme on a different floor in extender mode.

On a more positive note remote play still works perfectly anywhere in my home. Even if I currently can't use it outside my home remote play is one of the best features of the PS4 in my opinion. I will get a lot of use out of it during Saturdays and Sundays with football on the TV in the background. It's also pretty cool to be able to keep playing when someone else wants to watch TV. If I can ever get it to reliably work over the internet it will become infinitely more useful. Last night I played about an hour and a half of Resogun in bed via remote play instead of my typical reading routine. It doesn't lull me to sleep as well as a book does but it's still very cool. Resogun is a free game for PS+ members and so far I think I have played more of that than any other game. It is super addictive and very challenging depending on which difficulty level you play on.

Edit: I now that the system is released I was able to find youtube videos of people claiming to be on vita remotely over the internet. I think the Airport Extreme must be the problem. I'd hate to replace it because it wasn't cheap and it's less than a year old. It works for all my other purposes but not this. I'll wait a few days and see if someone finds a fix for my situation and then look into some new routers.

Last edited:
My cousin got one at midnight and apparently he didn't have any issues, unless he somehow got to play Killzone without the update.

Too bad all those installs and such take up so much space. A SSD paired with the power of the PS4 would be awe-inspiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts