Public Access TV Channels???

DSS Fan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Minnesota
Dish has quite a few Public Interest Channels in the 9000's and I'm wondering why they don't put on some BIG City Public Access Channels? Have any of you ever seen the Good Samatarian Network? What is that all about anyways? A Message Board 24/7, How Boring. Who even watches that? At least with a Public Access Channel their would be a variety in programming, like FSTV does.:D

Dish does not pay to have Public Interest channels but are required to have a certain number of them. Since they do not pay for them, they probably don't care what is being shown. I am not sure what Public Access would fall under, but most would probably be considered local and not deemed 'must carry' as most would be low power. They usually do not cover any type of area outside of their locale so Dish would not consider them under these conditions.

I have seen many public access channels on LyngSat and Sat-Address that would be interesting to me. I think the fact that a certain number of channels carried HAS to be public access and the fact that Good Samaritan Network probably pays a very small fee to be on there means the slot goes to the highest bidder usually, not necessarily the most requested or better programmed channel. Mr. Iceberg, isn't that how it works. I thought so anyways. If Dish added requested channels that were programmed well, wouldn't AmericanLife TV already be on?

Dish does not pay to have Public Interest channels but are required to have a certain number of them. Since they do not pay for them, they probably don't care what is being shown.

I have a friend who works at NAU TV Services, which runs the Universityhouse Channel. Several years ago, they were carrying Classic Arts Showcase overnight. (This was before CAS was available on it's own channel.) They pulled it and went back to graphic slates. The next time I saw him, I complained. He said that DISH required them to originate all of their own programming- they can't retransmit.

Of course, it could actually be a government thing, and not a DISH thing.

It's a government thing, in both cases. Some of the other PI channels on E* got in trouble a while back for retransmitting other networks, and I think they were getting paid to do so. Basically, I think it's okay to take individual shows/programs from other sources and put them on your PI channel, even if they pay for the privilege, but sending out other networks can count as a loss of editorial control I guess, and each channel must be independent.

Also, local public access channels are not eligible to be carried. Only national networks can be counted as Public Interest on DBS. (On satellite radio, however, local stations are eligible for the new public interest set-aside formed as part of the Sirius XM merger.)

those channels PAY dish to be on there :)

A percentage of spectrum must be allocated/dedicated to PACs (Public Access Channels); via FCC mandates.

You may not charge for carriage of a Public Access Channel... That would defeat the purpose of PACs. In all actuality, it's just the opposite... Dish must pay to carry the PAC channels to cover/compensate copyrighted materials, royalties, etc., (think in relation to music; RAII, ASCAP, BMI, etc., but in this case, it becomes far more complicated with inclusion of SAC, SWG, etc...). Carriage arrangements are usually specified and maintained to an absolute a minimum to the carrier, in the case of PACs; in Dish's case, to avoid paying, or as little as possible.

The question... how does one manage to get their PAC uplinked or even considered...? Damn good question? Obviously, there's a hell of allot of schmoozing, posturing, etc...

I think you are getting the cable regulation for Public Access and the Satellite regulation for Public interest mixed up. Satellite may not charge more the the wholesale value for the transponders space (I think that's the terminology used). Public Interest channels on satellite have to pay their own way to get the signal to the uplink center and pay a wholesale value of transponder space on the DBS carrier.

Public Access on cable is supposed to be VERY local... limited even to a specific community. I work of a public access channel in Forest Park. It serves 3 communities and all the programming is aimed at our neighbors. Public Interest on Satellite is aimed at national audiences.

I think you are getting the cable regulation for Public Access and the Satellite regulation for Public interest mixed up. Satellite may not charge more the the wholesale value for the transponders space (I think that's the terminology used). Public Interest channels on satellite have to pay their own way to get the signal to the uplink center and pay a wholesale value of transponder space on the DBS carrier.

Public Access on cable is supposed to be VERY local... limited even to a specific community. I work of a public access channel in Forest Park. It serves 3 communities and all the programming is aimed at our neighbors. Public Interest on Satellite is aimed at national audiences.

I know it's confusing, but just consider the latest impact upon Sirius/XM merger and associated mandates; a percentage of spectrum must be inline and defined as education/public interest... consider it as a PSA (Public Service Announcement). Dish, to be considered a good citizen, must provide a percentage a programing in PAC categories... Its all a right-off, in the long run... The theory, preempt mandates before they are enacted... both Dish and DirecTV facilitated inclusion en leu/for circumvention.

Also, local public access channels are not eligible to be carried. Only national networks can be counted as Public Interest on DBS.

Well, public ACCESS and Public INTEREST are two different things. But that's kind of circular reasoning. If it's ON DISH, and available to everyone, it's national.

The NAU channel existed on local cable here in Flagstaff for at least 20 years. The version on DISH has a different name, and slight differences in programming, but it still shows "local" programming, including the student news show. And if the DISH feed was dropped, it would go back to being a "local" channel. It was essentially created for DISH.

BTW...back to Public ACCESS...I would love to be able to get The Preacherman Show here. Whenever I'm in LA, I watch that lunatic.

BTW...back to Public ACCESS...I would love to be able to get The Preacherman Show here. Whenever I'm in LA, I watch that lunatic.

Dr Gene Scott...?!! The dude is out there, way out there, and his wife, spins the same... That's not PAC, that's religion, and its paid for. Scott defines himself as an educator, in reality — it's theological...

"Am I boring you?!!..." Dr. Gene Scott

He's rather amusing, at times, but consider, his channel is simply his pulpit, surviving off of tithings... His church is facing hard times, and they're desperate for new partitioners (attrition is taking its toll).

You can get your fix online... The Official Site of Dr. Gene Scott

Personally, I believe he dabbles, both in and out of reality... damn funny at times, and on other occasions, quite vindictive... I can only take the man in moderation.

The official FCC policy states in part:
We also limit access to the reserved capacity to noncommercial national educational programming suppliers.
PBPB | Public Broadcasting PolicyBase

Also, on costs:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (B) the Commission shall not permit such prices to exceed, for any channel made available under this subsection, 50 percent of the total direct costs of making such channel available; and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (C) in the calculation of total direct costs, the Commission shall exclude--[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (i) marketing costs, general administrative costs, and similar overhead costs of the provider of direct broadcast satellite service; and [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (ii) the revenue that such provider might have obtained by making such channel available to a commercial provider of video programming.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (5) DEFINITIONS.--For purposes of this subsection-[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (A). . . .[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Bernard MT Condensed] (B) The term "national educational programming supplier" includes any qualified noncommercial educational television station, other public telecommunications entities, and public or private educational institutions.[/FONT]

A percentage of spectrum must be allocated/dedicated to PACs (Public Access Channels); via FCC mandates.

You may not charge for carriage of a Public Access Channel... That would defeat the purpose of PACs. In all actuality, it's just the opposite... Dish must pay to carry the PAC channels to cover/compensate copyrighted materials, royalties, etc., (think in relation to music; RAII, ASCAP, BMI, etc., but in this case, it becomes far more complicated with inclusion of SAC, SWG, etc...). Carriage arrangements are usually specified and maintained to an absolute a minimum to the carrier, in the case of PACs; in Dish's case, to avoid paying, or as little as possible.

The question... how does one manage to get their PAC uplinked or even considered...? Damn good question? Obviously, there's a hell of allot of schmoozing, posturing, etc...

Cable and DBS are covered by different laws. DBS is not required to provide or retransmit "public access" channels; cable is because they are awarded a franchise by local government and, it was thought, should provide facilities, etc. for locally produced programming serving the local community a cable system serves in exchange for status as a regulated monopoly. Cable is local in scope.

DBS is not required to provide any production facilities or support for any local programming serving any community because DBS is national in scope and didn't seem to make sense. Instead, Congress mandated that a small percentage of capacity on each satellite carry "Public Interest" channels. These are most often national or regional public service channels, such as university channels, with content of interest to a national audience rather than a small community.

You seem very knowledgeable of law relating to CATV. Research laws relating to DBS and you'll find many differences.

I was doing some surfing, and I noticed a station called White Springs TV. If this would qualify as a public interest channel, I think it would be a HELL of a pick-up. It looks like a vintage/made for TV movie channel from the 60's, 70's and 80's. White Springs TV - Home Page is the weblink. Why doesn't Dish make something that looks good available until people are beating down their door for it? LOL

We have 3 types of that programming here-

Public Access- Non commercial and available for free, plus the cable company supplies the production facilities and you supply the talent and manpower to produce. Requires training, also free if you are not qualified to operate the equipment.

Leased Access channel- An FCC mandated channel that forces a cable op to air your program either commercial or non-commercial for a fee that is regulated based on population subscribership. It is very cheap in most cases. Little known but if you have a show you want to get on cable, and even sold ads to help pay but need a very low rate, this can be it and even if your local cable doesn't have a dedicated Leased access channel, they still are required to make air time available. But here's the catch. You arte required to supply them with an NTSC signal, under the regulation. They are not required to supply you with a VCR to play your tape, nor server time to host your video file. Most cable companies will not quibble and simply encode your program to their sever, especially if they have a history of Leased access sales. B ut they don't have to. I once had to design my own head end for a real estate channel under Leased access rules because the management jerk at Adelphia decided to make us jump through the regulation hoop. I set it up in a U store it and tossed a cable with RF modulated NTSC signal over a chain link fence into their facility and they put it out through their distribution system. I played the 60 minute program on a 3/4 Umatic player on 24 hour 7 day a week repeat. :) The signal was always on and they would pick it up on the hour and run it .

Local Origination channel is usually commercial programming but not rate regulated and can be as expensive as local broadcast air charges. It is run by the Cable advertising department. Cable ad department will often run national programming as well if they didn't sell enough local to fill the times.

As far as Dish Network or direcTV goes. Couldn't you do what I did a few years back and build a "Paid Programming" for one of the existing channels? I had a series of shows, 13 of them that we aired on the old Tech TV channel called "Best of the Web TV" We bought air times between 3AM and 5 AM ET.

Dish Network....the Horror, The Horror

Dual Tuner Receivers (Remote #2) Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts