Qualified to install DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blackcat1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Springfield Missouri
I am planning on having DirecTV installed and was wondering how you can tell if a local satellite dealer / installer is qualified to install DirecTV? Does DirecTV has some type of certification program? My local installer installs both Dish and DirecTV and has been in business for many years but don't know anything about him.

Thanks for any input.

I am planning on having DirecTV installed and was wondering how you can tell if a local satellite dealer / installer is qualified to install DirecTV? Does DirecTV has some type of certification program? My local installer installs both Dish and DirecTV and has been in business for many years but don't know anything about him.

Thanks for any input.

Well Directv does put a lot of the contractors through training and such, etc etc... But in my opinion thats just standard crap.. To me certifications dont mean anything, I have been installing Directv as a retailer for 7 years but I have no pretty piece of paper saying I am good at what I do.. If he has been in business for many years and is a dealer I put my money on that he knows what he is doing.. Its NOT easy to become a dealer and it takes a lot of work to KEEP the dealership. If dealers are shady, sloppy etc, they can get their contract yanked real quick..

blackcat1 said:

Thanks for any input.

They should SBCA certified.

Ask for their SBCA certification number.

(Satellite Broadcasting Communications
Association)

Where city are you located in?

kcaudiofx said:
Well Directv does put a lot of the contractors through training and such, etc etc... But in my opinion thats just standard crap.. To me certifications dont mean anything, I have been installing Directv as a retailer for 7 years but I have no pretty piece of paper saying I am good at what I do.. If he has been in business for many years and is a dealer I put my money on that he knows what he is doing.. Its NOT easy to become a dealer and it takes a lot of work to KEEP the dealership. If dealers are shady, sloppy etc, they can get their contract yanked real quick..

Good point.

There are installers who are certified that shouldn't be but It's definitely harder for a retailers to keep sloppy installers.

Good point.

There are installers who are certified that shouldn't be but It's definitely harder for a retailers to keep sloppy installers.

So true, I see so many "contractors" who are certified but when you roll up on their job, you surely cant tell by their workmanship.. I am a dealer and we do get calls to handle service calls from a customer simply because they dont want to wait 2 weeks for D* to roll a truck, so they look us up in the yellowpages, we get there and crazy installs going on.. I remember when I first became a dealer, there was a LOT of bad talking about dealers and how sloppy work they do, seriously now it is vice versa (most cases).. Dealers have a lot more to lose than the contractor does, thats my opinion..

To the OP.. I am not sure if you can search on sbca's website to verify such info, but you can try and give them a call.. Just out of curiosity, why are you so concerned about this installer, dealer or whoever he is? You just having doubts about him?

I'm not really that concerned about the dealer, it's just when I went in to talk to the dealer, the salesman (not the owner) didn't seem to know much about the equipment. I would think a salesman would try to have fairly good knowledge about what he is selling. He didn't even know that on the HR24, you could watch one program while recording another. I hope the installers know more than he did.

LOL I know a retailer that is still using crimp fittings - there's no indication of a techs skill other than if there's any installer related failures within 3 yrs.
all the other "scorecard" and "tests" mean crap imho

I'm not really that concerned about the dealer, it's just when I went in to talk to the dealer, the salesman (not the owner) didn't seem to know much about the equipment. I would think a salesman would try to have fairly good knowledge about what he is selling. He didn't even know that on the HR24, you could watch one program while recording another. I hope the installers know more than he did.

Ok, now that explains your questions :) I totally understand your concern now, I have multiple salesmen that work for my company, very few know the installation part but they are all VERY knowledgeable on how everything works, what equipment we have, etc etc etc.. Yea that'd make me wonder.. My suggestion is order through a dealer for sure (You WILL get NEW equipment) but maybe ask to speak to the owner..

They should SBCA certified.

Ask for their SBCA certification number.

(Satellite Broadcasting Communications
Association)

Where city are you located in?

I'm sorry but the SBCA certification is a joke. The only thing that piece of paper is good for is toilet paper. I know a certain HSP that the SBCA is an open book test..... I know of people that never ever installed a system that are SBCA certified. The SBCA certification is nothing more than a waste of $200, and absolutley no indication that a person has any clue how to install a satellite system.

Liquidforce88 said:
I'm sorry but the SBCA certification is a joke. The only thing that piece of paper is good for is toilet paper. I know a certain HSP that the SBCA is an open book test..... I know of people that never ever installed a system that are SBCA certified. The SBCA certification is nothing more than a waste of $200, and absolutley no indication that a person has any clue how to install a satellite system.

He asked if their is a Certification for installers and I told.

I didn't say anything about the importance of it

I'm about to switch from Dish to DirecTV. So you guys are saying don't order online?

If you have a local dealer, I would talk to them. Then you get an idea of the kind of installer you'll get. I did just that and now I'm really comfortable with my upcoming install.

If you are going to order online, do it through Costco if you are a member. You can get like $180 in Costco gift cards along with directv's promos

If you have a local dealer, I would talk to them. Then you get an idea of the kind of installer you'll get. I did just that and now I'm really comfortable with my upcoming install.

If you are going to order online, do it through Costco if you are a member. You can get like $180 in Costco gift cards along with directv's promos

Then again you don't know what equipment you'll get (Costco) seeing they don't handle the equipment anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)