Quest for a 2014 70" Display

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Well, as a plasma guy I know very little about LCD's over the last few years so I have been researching current models. Here is what I have learned, basically, for edge lit LCD's:

Blooming, banding, flash-lighting, might as well expect some. To be honest, when Ive owned LCD's in the past, I never watched them in a pitch black room anyways. If calibrated correctly for a higher light output, using a small lamp gives you better perceived blacks and the LCD will be plenty bright.

Off angle viewing, none are great when you are used to plasma. From what i read though, it wont be a big issue for me. We sit roughly 12.5 feet away, in a scenario similar to a 3 cushion couch centered to the screen, and we sit on each end.

Being these are all 70", they are all going to be Sharp panels AFAIK, since Sharp appears to be the only ones making a 70". I imagine that matters little in final performance of the panel.

So here are the models:

Sony 69.5” (diag) W850B Premium LED HDTV KDL-70W850B
MSRP $2899
Should be out mid March
Edge lit
Motionflow 480
No Triluminous on this model (little agitated about this)

pSNYNA-KDL70W850B_main_v500.png

This "wedge" design bothers me with regards to wall mounting
pSNYNA-KDL70W850B_alternate2_v500.png

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - SQ Line
$3100 MSRP for 70"
March 2014
Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)
HD content upscaled
3D Ready
Able to handle 4K/24
Id assume this is the "new" 800 series, so it should be a 240hz panel. From reading about Sharp, Id prefer the 240hz panel IMO.

Revelation Tech Promo Video

Im not sure Revelation and all that nonsense, it is nice for the price that it upscales 720p/1080i/1080p and can display 24hz 4K content. For the next 12-24 months, this may be a good cheaper solution until 4K works itself out a little more.

Article with some images
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...s/sharp-aquos-quattron-plus-tv-1212692/review

Vizio 70" P Series
http://ces.vizio.com/p-series.html#skip
MSRP is $2899 IIRC

This one is very interesting for me because its UHD, its a great price and its full array local dimming (64 zones). 64 zones does worry me and I dont think it will be something outstanding. I had a 55" with 96 zones it was good, not great. All being said its a UHD at an excellent price.

No idea when this will be available.

Samsung's 2013 8000 is a nice set, and they will have a 70+ inch in 2014, but I do not expect the cost to be anywhere near my range ($3000).

At this point, I'd say the Sharp Q+ is at the top of the list, but Im going to wait to further see how things shape out. one note about Sony however, their "W" series always reviews well and calibrates well. One problem with calibrating the sharp is the yellow sub pixels reduce color accuracy and what you can do with them. This is a factor for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my guy in the house for a few hours the other night. Didnt like any of the answers he gave me for the living room, so I punted. I want a bigger screen one way or the other LOL. Dont worry, come late March Im pretty sure something will have been bought :)

Its best to save the FP resources for when we change houses and I have the man cave done. Then I figure Ill just pony up and get the JVC 4k or something of the like. Probably a smarter move, because there will be some speaker upgrades for that room too.

Am I the only one that is confused by how the public is so against Plasma TVs? Every customer that comes into our store looking for TVs says they were told to stay away from Plasma and that LED is the best thing there is. How did people get so misinformed?

I agree, its nonsense. I agree plasmas dont have their best uses, like static screens and very bright rooms, but I still think there was a huge majority of people that just bought a LED LCD when they would have been better off with a plasma. It's a shame.

I want a larger screen, so Im just going to have to make some concessions...

The other big issue is LCD started a big full array push in 2009 that lasted like 2 years, then they all headed into slim and side lit.

Back in the day, anyone with a a 27" TV was set. Anything bigger and you were king of the block. Nowadays, 50" is considered too small.

I agree. But a good point is made, no matter what display I could buy in a 70" model, I stand to lose several PQ aspects I am fond of. One has to weigh, is it worth it to gain 5" diag for a reduction in PQ compared to what I currently have?

From what I read on the 2013 models, I say no, but I'll keep an open mind. I dont expect much to change. Its an odd time right now, 4K is here but not quite finished, and still pricey. This probably changes nicely in the next 2 years. There will be a 65" 1080p OLED this year for the cost of a small car Im sure, but not real OLED 4K yet. Why drop a mint on a display that doesnt even do the next format?

Then at some point, when you see 80 and 90" 4K flat panels, you have to ask why not just buy a FP...

2014 and even 2015 are bad years to buy a display unless you just want one IMO.

Kind of what I'm saying. I don't think you will find anything to match your Panasonic. 5" isn't that noticeable. Save your money for larger, 4K, theater room at your new place, etc.

S~

Thats it. It's an upgrade-a-holic's nightmare, no affordable display coming can top what you already own :)

We have a good 18-24 month plan for the house, so its not a big deal. Kinda another reason I backed off the Epson for the living room. Not the best situation for a FP unless I only use it in the dark, and then I ask why spend the money now instead of holding off for the nice 4K FP.

Going a year or two without messing with a set is going to be weird for me, I might have to go trade the wife's car in for something new to get myself past this :wtf:

Im still gonna keep an eye on the 70" models above. It'll be nice to at least see what LCD does this year, especially Vizio.

My problem is Im OCD about PQ. I own my own meter plus talk with calibrators (Im of course no professional), and I 100% agree in the practice. I also spend a lot of time appreciating black level and color accuracy, as well as plasma view angles. All of this, as I read 2013 threads for LCD's, make me realize even if it was an 80" I probably dont want one.

Sharp makes a pretty nice set, but the yellow sub pixel will shat on your calibration attempt for accurate color, thats plain and simple.

Sony and Samsung make some nice side lit sets, but you read about panel lottery and flashlighting/clouding. LG does well but their panels have poor blacks, at least compared to Sony and Samsung.

Currently, I watch blu-rays in a dark room, and in 96hz (1080p/24) mode my VT50 65" hits an minimum luminence level if 0.0015 footlamberts (measure by me recently). I basically hardly ever see the letterbox bars, even in the dark. I think Im screwing up if I go buy a 70". Lotta people like me who liked to try out plasma upgrades as they eeked lower black levels out and improved filters, are gonna be in the same boat for a few years me thinks. And of course plasmas have their own issues, which they didnt fix over night, which is why i dont expect LCD to wake up tomorrow and look like a plasma in a dark room. OLED really is the future for someone like me as far as a living room set goes. Im 100% convinced a FP is the way to go if you have the right room. I personally cant wait until I have that man cave, so I can watch all my movies and football in there.

As far as dim plasmas, that was/is true sorta. I can get my VT50 to hit 42 footlamberts (way more than I need) with ease.

This is probably not the year for a 4k set. You can get excellent 1080p sets, but I think 4k needs to bake another year at least.

Does your wife wish you would change her jewelry as often as you change tvs. :)

While I love plasmas and have never liked LCD/LED sets much, I couldn't justify the cost to get a 65" plasma.

So I got a 73" DLP, the last of the bunch. New lamp is like getting new TV every time you change. So far I'm 13 months and counting on the original lamp, and have 2 more lamp assemblies I got for free. Can't hang it on the wall, but then I never thought much of that to begin with.

If my room would have been a little longer I would have kept the 73" DLP. That thing had a nice look and the 3D wasnt bad either.

We were so close to it the hotspot was bad.

Newbie Quick Guide to Calibration Discs/Software/Meters/Generators

Google's Chromecast Is Open To All, So Bring On The Streaming Apps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)